GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Tergelet said:

I will definitely try this in the future. Great work!

Thank you Tergelet!

6 hours ago, dxotic said:

Great! looking forward to the luma grading pdf. you can send me an advance copy if you like ;)

Just walking around and shooting what i see in varying light sources to see how the LUT behaves 

Feel free to share what you find!

Interesting note - V2 will have exposure mapped in LogC a little differently. For matching the Alexa precisely, you will be able to set identical settings (spare custom WB). Usable DR is maximized, and I'm exploring the mapping of Main/Soft, which will have lower contrast by extension

3 minutes ago, Rikoshet said:

Sage, I'm interested in your conversion luts, just a question: since a file in vlog it's basically the same between cameras, can I use this luts with gh4 vlog 8bit?

Thank you!

Yes, it will improve GH4 VLog; I want to specifically measure the GH4 for the purpose, if I can get a hold of one. The standard 8 bit VLog concerns apply, but there may be an interesting development involving 8 bit soon

18 hours ago, Neufeldt said:

Just want to say the LUTs are great. It's interesting how different GHa is from the GHaLogC-ARRIAlexaLogCRec709 pairing.

Thanks Neufeldt, I appreciate that

I intend to democratize the very best cinematic color; it wasn't ready for me when I was getting started. Arri's Rec709 falls short; likewise Varicam etc

Paul Leeming's raison d'être is neutrality. That's definitely a good way to go

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Alex!

Bough both your conversions, experimenting right now!

Immediately have a question: when editing I/all we have a lot of cuts,  often from different cams, so all is mixed in timeline. Applying 2 instances of Lumetri on each clip and then applying 2-3 conversion luts is cumbersome. It would be simple for me applying all luts an then export a single lut from lumetri, resulting lut I could apply on rest of clips.  Is this technically correct ot it's better to follow your pdf guide?

BTW, can you please provide a version of guide in text/pdf format instead of image/pdf? I'd like to copy some important moments into a text document?

Also, would like to see some color graded "gh5-alexa" footage with achieved cinematic look!

Thank you!

Hey @Rikoshet

You'll only need one instance of Lumetri - the 'Basic Correction' section can accept the [PRE] technical conversions, and the 'Creative' section can accept the GHa conversions. Then, in the Basic Correction section, any needed white balance adjustment may be made, which will stack inbetween the [PRE] and GHa conversions.

You may then right click on Lumetri, and 'Save Preset' for use later (w/ a title like "8-bit Daylight (Soft)", etc.) This will save the step of having to load two separate files. A lumetri effect may be copied and pasted to multiple clips, and an 'Adjustment Layer' can be stretched over several clips in Premiere to apply a single instance of Lumetri to all underneath it for a one-light grade.

I'm about to revisit the PDF. A lot is about to change.

I've been revisiting the 8-bit Emotion II, updating it to the new color science:

PREVIOUS

5ada64279b926_EmotionII.00_00_54_04.Still030.thumb.jpg.fd30e2928a9ba7fa3eb24f2a9daea23e.jpg

NEW

5ada6467ecaab_EmotionII.00_00_54_04.Still029.thumb.png.cf11d6e69a04b01886d984acc4ba956b.png

PREVIOUS

5ada64b85fd1e_EmotionII.00_00_12_19.Still032.thumb.jpg.211e5a0c91549ffde87be6fc7f2a04fc.jpg

NEW

5ada64e11e166_EmotionII.00_00_12_19.Still031.thumb.png.da888488a2d76c33f1b9427c92987257.png

PREVIOUS

5ada65074647b_EmotionII.00_00_37_02.Still035.thumb.jpg.1181c316d872f0af032e7094995ca050.jpg

NEW

5ada653533dc1_EmotionII.00_00_37_02.Still034.thumb.png.c7a62b03c7cd3dc31962fe9e9fc9539b.png

It looks fantastic - I can't wait for the official release!

I'm looking forward to knowing the recommend shooting format(s).  Is it best to record in HLG or V-Log or Natural or other?  With an emphasis on getting the best 4k 60p internal recording quality for color grading in Resolve.  And also for 6k anamorphic.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

It looks fantastic - I can't wait for the official release!

I'm looking forward to knowing the recommend shooting format(s).  Is it best to record in HLG or V-Log or Natural or other?  With an emphasis on getting the best 4k 60p internal recording quality for color grading in Resolve.  And also for 6k anamorphic.

Thanks!

The path recommended for utmost fidelity is:

VLog in Resolve

Those using HLG in Premiere (for example) will not be at a major loss - the difference from that optimal condition is slightly less rolloff accuracy and slightly less smooth. 

For 4k 60p Vlog in Resolve, no PRE will be needed (likewise 10 bit VLog, except ProRes). Subsequent paths in order of fidelity:

VLog (10bit) in Premiere

VLog (8bit) in Premiere

HLG in Resolve

*** in Resolve

HLG in Premiere

*** in Premiere

In Premiere, avoid the Luma curve of Lumetri. Rather use the lift/gamma/gain wheels, or RGB curves (in Obsolete)