GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

On a personal side note, as I get better at grading - I've found that I use "film look LUTS" much less often, as many LUTs create many undesired artefacts and weirdness. With your GHa conversion, there's a voodoo which I really enjoy with it, so I see myself using it exclusively from now on.

Thank you! 

Thanks Oliver! There are a number of factors at play; there may be variance between GH5 copies. David L'Abbée notes the opposite, and indeed his reference charts show skintone and red deviating to green. This may or may not be the case; I am about to conduct some tests to nail down variance and develop solutions as needed. May I ask, what lens(es) do you happen to be using?

I would recommend only placing white balance corrections before GHa, and all other corrections after it. Now, there is the caveat that if it works for you, then it is worth doing. Often times, the creator of a thing cannot envision the uses it will find when released into the world.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JeremyDulac said:

Some recent tests with my new anamorphic adapter and Vlog. Really loving the color separation the lut gives. A few frames arent in focus...still practicing this anamorphic thing :)

Untitled_1.12.1.jpg

Untitled_1.9.1.jpg

Untitled_1.17.1.jpg

Untitled_1.5.1.jpg

Untitled_1.16.1.jpg

Untitled_1.3.1.jpg

Looks a bit like old 16mm footage with all that grain. Like it! :)
Color separation indeed is great using V-log. With HLG it's kinda lacking...

3 minutes ago, deezid said:

Looks a bit like old 16mm footage with all that grain. Like it! :)
Color separation indeed is great using V-log. With HLG it's kinda lacking...

Agreed! I threw some FilmConvert grain on it :) The subtractive color really helps give it that filmic feel. I agree about HLG, I did some tests comparing vlog and hlg versions of the lut and even after converting hlg to vlog I wasnt able to get as nice of results as with shooting vlog.

I can kind of see it for photos but I am too big of a fan of it in Video. 8mm, 16mm stuff really looked like shit compared to what we have today. And I am really not a fan of the turquoise coloring from hell in modern stuff that tries to look like 8mm. But I can see why younger people want to try and relive it. It did, does have a quirky look to it.

I think it is really a subjective/preference topic because I love the look of 16mm. I can understand not loving it if you prefer a clean look. I personally am partial to a clean image and like something a bit more imperfect and organic. There is just something about grain that looks so good to me and makes an image come alive.

But hey, to each their own!

5 hours ago, Jak234 said:

So do you also have this opinion? That the HLG Version is not that good color wise? I bought your lut and now think of buying the vlog as well. 

Vlog is the core of the original GHa; though wait a bit to decide. Something very relevant is coming

On 22.3.2018 at 1:08 AM, Sage said:

Something very relevant is coming

Does this mean a direct conversion from HLG? that would be awesome as it just uses more of the 10bits and the color space 2020 is really sufficient even its not that big as vlog. 

46 minutes ago, Jak234 said:

Does this mean a direct conversion from HLG? that would be awesome as it just uses more of the 10bits and the color space 2020 is really sufficient even its not that big as vlog.

Its the conversion process itself that is entirely new; its pretty impressive