GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

Just now, tihon84 said:

What NLE do you use? BE careful: AE 2015 do something with luminance, as result, you got more contrasted input image... AE 2017+ seems to be ok with that.

You can use the 'Full to Legal' file to correct for that shift if you'd like to continue with AE 2015

3 minutes ago, tihon84 said:

Sage,  you did a really good work in my opinion. PDF  is very helpful too.

Thank you, I appreciate that Tihon

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Sage said:

You can use the 'Full to Legal' file to correct for that shift if you'd like to continue with AE 2015

Thank you, I appreciate that Tihon

Skip from 2015 because  it really old and not supported now.

Is it possible to upload original source of this image:  PANA0778.MP4.20_14_00_14.Still002.png

Just want to be sure my NLE import is ok in terms of contrast etc.... 

The original source will help top compare results...

2 hours ago, Sage said:

Here you go:

V-Log

vlog.thumb.png.e55dddfd84597e8338a0223447b7c769.png

LogC

logc.thumb.png.942430a42bf09281fbc80225110ef2ca.png

For absolute confidence, pure black (hand covering lens) should be just below 128 (not 64) and pure white (pointed into a light source) should be below 768 (not above) for the LogC conversion

ou, thanks. I mean original mp4 VLOG source:)

30 minutes ago, austinchimp said:

Just bumping this topic to see if anyone has used it yet. I'm interested to see some examples. I haven't been shooting with my GH5 lately so have no need to buy it yet, but I'm curious to see how many others have taken the plunge.

Yes, please, feel free to share. I am excited to see how people use it in their own work; quite a few have it by now.

Tihon (above) sent me this:

5a243196c616a_TPWBFix(DayMain).png.e31cf590fdccf94be5e7870f01e054ef.thumb.png.18e97d3823f28f649bc7d9def28e4c80.png

And here is Ryan Glover's work (from dvxuser):

38544015401_8f989677b5_o.thumb.jpg.8110696b245f6006f1ab3b80d731c075.jpg

37656621995_e5de29e1d7_o.thumb.jpg.403e936cd387ac7558dd8fe64bcf617d.jpg

And Jeremy Dulac's sample (dvxuser):

HLGwithLut_1_18.1.jpg.577f5abcac6a927d6fc60422fe6bb8fa.jpg

Here are side by side Log shots (matched exposure & white balance) converted with a film conversion software that is supposed to match Kodak 5213.
These should be identical -

GH5 V-Log to the software's Kodak 5213:

3.thumb.jpg.ee13bc04218b54ec57b291fd49c3c29a.jpg

Alexa LogC to the software's Kodak 5213:

2.thumb.jpg.59cef4d9c0b647a439ec86bfa34cdde0.jpg

Now, GH5 V-Log converted to GHa LogC, and then to the software's Kodak 5213:

1.thumb.jpg.108bd6af9af31eb96f2cb1c6aa5dad57.jpg

And last, an idea of what the Kodak 5213 conversion is supposed to look like, from the software's website:

5a3a98a673eee_Kodak5213.png.124c3d11add735c4bc35f190bf5a75bc.png

16 hours ago, Sage said:

Here are side by side Log shots (matched exposure & white balance) converted with a film conversion software that is supposed to match Kodak 5213.
These should be identical -

5a3a98a673eee_Kodak5213.png.124c3d11add735c4bc35f190bf5a75bc.png

Ohh, the good ol' Filmconvert. It never gives consistent results between cameras, even when the exposure and the WB is the same...  But it can give a good starting point before matching.

5 hours ago, Deadcode said:

Ohh, the good ol' Filmconvert. It never gives consistent results between cameras, even when the exposure and the WB is the same...  

++ Yes, the results fall short of what I expect and need, both in terms of accuracy, and visual splendor.

Perhaps, one day ;) 

Hehe, looks great. Main and Soft are recommended overall as a base, because like Arri's Rec709, they have a special saturation recipe that isn't in LogC natively (its almost 'part' of the color science). The result is a much improved starting point to Arri's 709 look up table, in my estimation.

26 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

@sage just bought your LUT set and going to test out on some existing anamorphic V Log footage that I have.

EDIT: I had time to test in one one shot. VLog to Alexa Log C to Kodak Elite Chrome 200

GHaDaylightAnamorphic.jpg

Looks nice. I like what it's done to the highlights, and the skin looks great. How does it compare to how you'd graded it before?

49 minutes ago, Sage said:

Hehe, looks great. Main and Soft are recommended overall as a base, because like Arri's Rec709, they have a special saturation recipe that isn't in LogC natively (its almost 'part' of the color science). The result is a much improved starting point to Arri's 709 look up table, in my estimation.

I tried Main but when I add a LogC LUT it looked too saturated and contrasty. What do you recommend using after applying MAIN?

50 minutes ago, austinchimp said:

Looks nice. I like what it's done to the highlights, and the skin looks great. How does it compare to how you'd graded it before?

I haven't had a lot of time with it but it's nice. Log C is a nice starting point in my opinion.

1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

I tried Main but when I add a LogC LUT it looked too saturated and contrasty. What do you recommend using after applying MAIN?

Yes, look up tables intended for log won't work (Rec709 space). Ryan Glover of Dvxuser had an interesting approach of using a partial film emulation on top of Main - which it was I'll have to ask him. Main and Soft give the modern Arri cinema grade that only requires a dial in of Lift/Gamma/Gain to meet spec (i.e. Sicario). For film, and Arri with emulated film (i.e. scenes in Birdman), what I am working on now may involve that ;) 

10 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

@Sage ok so main is like Arri Rec 709 with less contrast?

Exactly, and more saturation. Soft is the lower saturation base. They have the LogC conversion at their core.

Part of what Arri's 709 does is increase saturation in a film-like way. So - if a film conversion is accurate - it should do the same for LogC

On 21.12.2017 at 7:00 PM, AaronChicago said:

@sage just bought your LUT set and going to test out on some existing anamorphic V Log footage that I have.

EDIT: I had time to test in one one shot. VLog to Alexa Log C to Kodak Elite Chrome 200

GHaDaylightAnamorphic.jpg

Hi! What anamorphic lens did you use, please?