Best beginner photo camera for college student

Herbert Massey

Hi everybody,

My kid has become the goto photographer for all his girlfriends at school just using an iPhone. He wants a "real" camera for Christmas. What would be a good starter camera for portraits? 

It also should be on the cheaper side because I'm afraid it might get dropped or stolen ;) I'm open to all brands. 

I currently have an NX1 that I use for video with manual lenses. It's not a hand me down option because he'll want some auto lenses and I don't want to sink money into a dead format. I also am probably getting the GH5 or whatever is being announced on the 15th. So M 4/3 might make the most sense...?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you want a cheap MFT camera consider secondhand GH1, or GX1 if he might like that body shape instead (& a bit better sensor).

If exclusively focused mainly on stills then Nikon D7000 or Nikon D5200 (depending on if preferring the body ergonomics/features of the newer sensor).

The D3400 has the Flat Profile and is less than $400 brand new with the kit lens.

Also the E-M10 Mark II is fairly inexpensive with great deals on Olympus lenses right now. Really good IBIS and decent 1080p.

But if he seems serious, I would go with an APS-C DSLR or Mirrorless at least. I always enjoyed the a5100 when I had it and it has touchscreen PDAF for less than $400.

If you want to spend more for FF, the A7ii is fairly inexpensive with some extra features like IBIS and sLog2 and cine profiles.

And finally, the Fuji X-T20 or X-E3 have excellent color and 4K video and a great system to get into.

Also I guess I’d be remiss not to mention Canon... so many people start with Canon for a reason.

And most professional photographers shoot with Canon or Nikon for a reason.

36 minutes ago, mercer said:

I always enjoyed the a5100 when I had it and it has touchscreen PDAF for less than $400.

I got the a5100 on sale years ago.

Am very surprised at how little if any it has dropped in price since then.

Perhaps linked to the fact there has never been an a5100 successor.

Having a really good prime lens probably matters more than the camera, TBH.  Especially for portraits.  Being a good portrait photographer is mostly about the relationship of shooter and subject --and the photographer's ability at the craft.  Anyone that thinks the camera is the most important piece of the portrait puzzle, well... I'd just have to up and disagree with 'em, that's all.