Crazy deal on Tascam DR10L: only US$139 at B&H for the next few hours!

IronFilm

22 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Saw your post on jwsoundgroup, and Mike gave a good tip:

http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/30739-wireless-in-europe/&do=findComment&comment=341495

@IronFilm So I think I'll go with the Sony per your recommendations. 

The link above had a helpful comment: 

Europe is going to the 470-700 MHz range as the US did back in 2010. Now, of course, the US FCC has auctioned off the 641-698 MHz band. I would not be terribly surprised to see that happen in Europe in 5-10 years, but we don't see any concrete signs of such actions yet. So, for now, the "safest" range worldwide is 470-614 MHz (608-614 MHz is reserved for radio astronomy in some countries, including the US). 

Most of what Lectrosonics sells in the US is the A1 and B1 bands (blocks 470, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23). In Europe, it is mostly B1 and C1 (blocks 21-26) if that helps.

so based on that, I figured it's safest to get the "UHF Channels 14/25: 470 to 542 MHz" variety of the Sony UWP-D11.

I'd like to record a dialogue with two people. And I notice Sony also makes a dual receiver: Sony URX-P03D they also sell a packet with two transmitter and one dual channel receiver:  but its more expensive than just buying two separate UWP-D11 system. Which is a bet strange. It's almost 50% more expensive. 

I also saw a review of Saramonic UWMIC9 I saw couple of reviews. I like the one receiver option and the price. But I guess there is always a tradeoff. I've been watching a few auctions on Sony's on eBay. But not too many user options. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Haha! I just saw the "Rambo" knife Max uses to open his Saramonic box. I wouldn't trust anyone with such a knife for an audio review (just joking!)!

Even the box of the Saramonics is a Sony rip off. I do not understand why they have to copy someone's else design (like Deity is trying to mimic 416). It would be much better if they had their own identity and not have to compare to other industry standards. I do not know anything about the Saramonic's. I read that the battery door is really awful (in the original Sony's, this is one of the main minuses so I can assume it is worst on the cheaper Saramonics), from the video I can see that Sony's are easier to AUTO SEARCH and PAIR (this is quite ok actually on the Sonys), the lav mic supplied ain't better than the Sony one (and the Sony isn't stellar in audio performance, but has limited handling/clothes scratching noise and it doesn't brake easily).

If you can try and resend back, maybe they are good value, I do not know, and I am not going to try them any time soon!

If you don't mind the size of the Rode system, is excellent for the price.

21 hours ago, salim said:

I'd like to record a dialogue with two people. And I notice Sony also makes a dual receiver: Sony URX-P03D they also sell a packet with two transmitter and one dual channel receiver:  but its more expensive than just buying two separate UWP-D11 system. Which is a bet strange. It's almost 50% more expensive

Sadly they're rarer than hens teeth on the secondhand market :-(

I really want one.

21 hours ago, salim said:

I also saw a review of Saramonic UWMIC9 I saw couple of reviews. I like the one receiver option and the price. But I guess there is always a tradeoff.

I bought it with high hopes, but is junk.

13 hours ago, Kisaha said:

For a real true diversity 2 to 1 receiver you have to spend 2-4.000$, only for the receiver. 

Lectrosonics SRb is also on my list to get!

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

like Deity is trying to mimic 416

Was Rode wrong to make the NTG3? Nope.

I read that the battery door is really awful (in the original Sony's, this is one of the main minuses so I can assume it is worst on the cheaper Saramonics),

What the hell??

Nooooooooooo.....

Not at all true!

Battery changes is one of the many reasons why I love the Sonys over Sennheiser G3

If you don't mind the size of the Rode system, is excellent for the price.

I very much mind!

If a person uses them on film sets where the TX is expected to be hidden then avoid RodeLinks.

@IronFilm why do you want a receiver that it only has antenna diversity when 2ch are connected, and true diversity only when one is? I wouldn't trust anything with antenna diversity in this time of age.

What I said about the Deity is that it not only tried to mimic what the 416 does (for me, and other people at JWS, especially the experienced Pet Verrando, it obviously is a lesser option), but also tried to mimic the shape and design of it! What was the need to copy exactly the shape and design of another product? Rode didn't copy the Sennheiser design. My opinion is that the NTG3 is a more reliable, and better acoustically mic than the Deity too, but you will let us know of its longevity, as I do not own one, but the 416s and NTG3s are still going strong, after so many years. Anyway, I criticized the lack of originality, it is a completely different mic inside, but outside is the same, go figure. I am not sure if I could have any use of it, I really doubt if it is much better than the MKE600 to be honest, and that mic can be more versatile in specific situations (especially with the battery, when you want to save on phantom power).  Here, the basic version (without the Rycote and the windjammer) is almost 500euros, if it was a similar price to the MKE600, including the extras, then maybe I would have consider it, but now, the NTG3 and the 416 are very close to that price (the NTG3 obviously closer).

The battery compartment on the Sonys can fail after heavy use. We already have a few that sprang out (if this is a word!) on their own, actually I had more instances of having issues with the little plastic things jump around on set than interferences (which is great). Obviously is a better design that to have to open a whole door to change batteries, but unfortunately it ain't a bulletproof design. Lectrosonics is more accurate with their battery compartments!

I got the impression that @salim ain't a sound man, for a lot of cameramen, doing a bit of sound (especially sit down interviews, or static stuff), a very affordable Rode set can be enough, and better than the Saramonic's and Bayou's (or whatever they called. Someone brought me some on a set for me to use. I almost freaked out, but I just laughed!) of this world. Rode here is 40% of the price of Sony's by the way.

On 12/1/2017 at 7:13 PM, Kisaha said:
On 12/1/2017 at 6:05 PM, IronFilm said:

Sadly they're rarer than hens teeth on the secondhand market :-(

@IronFilm - So Adorama had an open box version of this URS PO3D 14/25 via eBay. They accepted by counter offer of $499. So hopefully I'll get it next week. Having the ability of worrying about only one receiver from two different source was the final clincher on this. Along with your comment about size. 

On 12/1/2017 at 7:13 PM, Kisaha said:

I got the impression that @salim ain't a sound man, for a lot of cameramen, doing a bit of sound (especially sit down interviews, or static stuff), a very affordable Rode set can be enough, and better than the Saramonic's and Bayou's (or whatever they called. Someone brought me some on a set for me to use. I almost freaked out, but I just laughed!) of this world. Rode here is 40% of the price of Sony's by the way.

@Kisaha - you're correct. Not a sound man at all...I liked the Rode option. Especially with digital transmission and the price. But the size was crazy bulky. The movie I'm trying to do is with two ladies. And the sony seems far more discrete and probably easier to hide than the Rode. I also really like not worrying about having two receivers if I wanted to record a dialogue from two different actors at the same time and just deal with one receiver. 

You both were great in helping me think through this. I need to find a good bargain on couple of transmitters. 

@IronFilm - Do you recommend a different lav than what comes with the sony? In this companions the Sen's lav seems so much hotter and more sensitive and the sony seems it has no life almost

Thanks again!

7 hours ago, salim said:

@IronFilm - Do you recommend a different lav than what comes with the sony?

Oscar SoundTech Lavs is the usual low budget recommendation.

7 hours ago, salim said:

In this companions the Sen's lav seems so much hotter and more sensitive

It is a non-issue. And as you can see the reviewer in the end goes with Sony, as they're the way of the Future. (G3 really needs to be updated to a G4 I reckon)

• 4 weeks later...

Can't afford wireless? (as anything below a G3/UWP-D11 is junk) Don't care if you can't monitor your audio??? :-o (straight to audio hell you go!)

Then boy oh boy does B&H have an end of year deal for you, the Tascam DR10L is once again going for only US$139:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1331924-REG/tascam_dr_10lw_dr_10l_mini_portabl_recorder.html

14 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Tascam DR10X is only US$99: 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086779-REG/tascam_dr_10x_dr_10cx_plug_on_micro_linear.html

I do also wonder whatever happened to this:

It looks like they've brought back all of their December deals for 2 days...Tascam, Z Cam, SmallHD, X-T1, etc. I grabbed two of the DR10Ls the first go around but still haven't used them.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, salim said:

@IronFilm do you recommend these as back up if one has a UWP-D11? 

If you're next to broke and can't afford another wireless, but think you might perhaps in a pinch need an extra lav then a DR10L could be good to keep in reserve. 

9 hours ago, salim said:

how do you use yours? 

I don't. Hasn't arrived yet (well.... it might have! But I haven't been to collect my mail yet :-P ). 

I plan to just do an unboxing/review then sell it on to my friend at cost price because he wants one. 

Meaning an extra unit. 

Say a person has two wireless, but they know say 10% of the time they'll need three yet don't have the budget for that third one.... then until they can afford a third wireless a Tascam DR10L or Zoom F1 could be a good stop gap measure for them.