Crazy deal on Tascam DR10L: only US$139 at B&H for the next few hours!

IronFilm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I recently picked one of these up: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1349307-REG/saramonic_sr_vrm1_compact_liner_pcm_recorder.html 

I wanted to get the Tascam DR10X, but it didn't have phantom power, which seems bonkers to miss out to me. Anyway, I'm really happy with how this one sounds/works. It's cheaper than all of the Tascam options, and more versatile, you can plug any mic into it and you're ready to roll.

If you'd like to hear some samples, I'm currently cutting an interview with two people sitting next to each other. I had two microphones, both the same make and model, with one running straight into a camera and the other plugged directly into this device. I did it purposely to test any noise the recorder might introduce.

I can share a sample tomorrow if people are interested.

41 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I've never seen it this cheap before.

Is the best option for "wireless" if you can't afford wireless.

I saw that deal as well as I've been looking to pick up a lav system. I need something to allow me to record a dialogue and have lav on two different person. I rather not deal with two different media sources. Just one file that has two tracks. Any suggestions? 

3 minutes ago, salim said:

I saw that deal as well as I've been looking to pick up a lav system. I need something to allow me to record a dialogue and have lav on two different person. I rather not deal with two different media sources. Just one file that has two tracks. Any suggestions? 

I saw you were interested in the C100... I believe it has two XLR inputs, so you could run two wires XLR lavs to each of your actors straight to the camera, or you could probably run wireless lavs from the camera to record good in camera audio. Either way it’s in camera, so you won’t have any external audio to deal with. 

7 minutes ago, mercer said:

I saw you were interested in the C100... I believe it has two XLR inputs, so you could run two wires XLR lavs to each of your actors straight to the camera, or you could probably run wireless lavs from the camera to record good in camera audio. Either way it’s in camera, so you won’t have any external audio to deal with. 

THANKS! the two XLRs of C100 is one of the reasons I'm interested in it. But I'm shooting this short film in Belarus. So probably thinking of something more discrete than the C100. So at the same time, I'm thinking about a A6300, A6500 shooting on a gimbal maybe. That's why I asked. I also have a used Sound Devices 302 that I connect to Tascam DR-40 recorder. It's going to be almost a no crew shooting (no sounds person, etc). So I'd like to keep it simple and easy. I'm worried about wireless. especially traveling to a different country. Just don't know if they have different bandwidth licensing setup and I'll pick up a lot of noise, or worse not allowed to use the devices. 

The link for those curious:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1331924-REG/tascam_dr_10lw_dr_10l_mini_portabl_recorder.html

1 hour ago, salim said:

If you want true wireless, you'd need to spend much much more.

Other option is be wired to them, but that is a pain in the arse.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

The link for those curious:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1331924-REG/tascam_dr_10lw_dr_10l_mini_portabl_recorder.html

If you want true wireless, you'd need to spend much much more.

Other option is be wired to them, but that is a pain in the arse.

So what's your best bang for the buck wireless suggestion? 

Here is a quick overview of the lay of the land (I really should do a blog article on wireless one day):

Arguably the "minimum" quality for "no budget wireless" which is the cheapest: RODE RodeLinks.

But I'd disagree with that. Was my first ever wireless purchase, immediately after they launched it. But I kinda regret that now. The transmitter packs are too bloody bulky!

Only use mine as a camera hop now (where size matters a little less). Been using it for exactly that purpose all week on a film as the hop for scratch from my F4 to an EVA1. And many various other shoots before (although unfortunately I find I need to mount the TX high up on my harness, as otherwise I get very serious issues if the RodeLink TX is too close to my recorder).

Actual "minimum quality" (anything less is throwing money away): the very very very popular Sennheiser G3 (you see them everywhere!! I'm sure you've used them at some point)

But personally I don't own any, as I find in numerous little ways the Sony UWP-D11 to be better (but they're the same price). Of which I own five sets! (Plus in the process of 6x Lectrosonics, plus 1x Saramonic UwMic9, plus 2x RodeLink pairs, plus 3x Samson Micro Airline wireless)

@IronFilm and @Kisaha 

Thanks for your wonderful input. Yes, @IronFilm a nice blog or a simple Youtube instructional vide would be awesome. 

I looked at the Rode and the 2.4G digital transmission appeals to my needs. I'll be traveling and I just don't know the frequency range that I can use or able to use. That said, while looking at them on B&H I also noticed the, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1135455-REG/sennheiser_avx_me2_set_4_us_avx_camera_mountable_lavalier_wireless.html

Really like the form factor that I can connect the receiver into the XLR input of like a Sound Devices, etc. Any of you have any experience with this one? Aside from price different with Rode are there other differences? 

7 hours ago, Kisaha said:

If you don't mind the size, the Rodes are excellent for the price.

The size is so big, I'd only use it on low budget docos/corporates where you really do not care at all as to if they're visible or not.

5 hours ago, salim said:

Don't they have crazy bad delay? I think.

Plus for that price I could buy two Sony UWP-D11 / Sennheiser G3 secondhand. 

5 hours ago, salim said:

I'll be traveling

What countries will you mainly be in?

44 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

The size is so big, I'd only use it on low budget docos/corporates where you really do not care at all as to if they're visible or not.

Don't they have crazy bad delay? I think. WOW that's good to know. I need to research that. 

Plus for that price I could buy two Sony UWP-D11 / Sennheiser G3 secondhand.  - I'm worried about all the stuff with signal interference.

@IronFilm

What countries will you mainly be in? - I like to use it in US. But the project I have in mind will be in Belarus. 

Thanks!

1 minute ago, salim said:

What countries will you mainly be in? - I like to use it in US. But the project I have in mind will be in Belarus. 

Well that makes it easy enough, look up frequency blocks for your area in the USA + Belarus, find what overlaps as ok, then you're sorted!

Just now, IronFilm said:

Well that makes it easy enough, look up frequency blocks for your area in the USA + Belarus, find what overlaps as ok, then you're sorted!

I did try that with US...but the service I was using did not have data outside of US. What should I use for outside of US? 

1 hour ago, salim said:

I did try that with US...but the service I was using did not have data outside of US. What should I use for outside of US? 

What the....  ?? 

You seem a bit mixed up, are you now thinking about cellular network frequencies? That is completely unrelated!

yep, usually they are in UHF, terrestrial TV stations, that cause the problem, walkie talkies maybe in the lower ones, and mobile phone companies in the higher ones.

@Salim

https://www.apwpt.org/downloads/handoutfrequencies2015.pdf

this is the list.

@IronFilm What frequencies do you guys use down there? I am about to buy 3 more Sony ones, and I am split between the lower 470.125 MHz to 541.875 MHz or the 566.125 MHz to 630.875 MHz. They are both 72MHz. The lower ones can be bought right now, the others have to be shipped.

Is there any reason that I should afraid for the lower ones? Usually in waves, the lower the wave, the faster travels through air or concrete, is there any point on that here? or the difference in MHz is so minimal that they are travelling exactly the same (I guess that is the case, 72Mhz ain't a big deal, when you can have something as low as 20Hz, which it really transfers differently). Everything is so complicated with frequencies right now, the 470-700MHz that we use for mics here is the most popular band right now here in Europe -and elsewhere, everyone wants a piece of it (for 5G mobile networks, satellite signal, military purposes etc)

13 hours ago, Kisaha said:

What frequencies do you guys use down there?

Blocks 24/25/26 are sweet for us and is what I've been buying.

13 hours ago, Kisaha said:

or the difference in MHz is so minimal that they are travelling exactly the same

A reckon a handful of MHz either way is not going to make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things.