SONY A7Sii Picture Profiles/Color

Zoran Nayagam

Hi there first time posting here so please be nice :).

I have run into some trouble and I need advice from you people Sony A7s owners or not. My problem is that I find the images that come out of my camera far too Green/Yellow which is so far from the skin tones I want. The screenshots are from a project one with a CINE 4 - S Gamut LUT and the other straight from the rushes. 

The Picture Profile that I had used is 

PP6 - 

GAMMA = CINE 4, +10 Black Level

Color MOde = S-Gamut3.Cine , +5 Saturian

Color Depth all left to 0 but yellow set to -3 and green set to -3 

I was hoping to remove that ugly tone that way but i didnt turn out that way 

I'd like to know what is the preferred picture profiles that you guys use for what kind of situation.

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 2.39.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 2.39.39 PM.png

thank you 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

One of the great things about the Sony cameras is that they are very customizable.  Some might call it a curse and say Sony's are too customizable.

With that in mind, there are so many ways that a great picture can be found.  You might choose the EOSHD Pro Color profiles offered by Andrew Reid on this site.  Others have found great success with the GFilm profile.  Just do a forum search on this site and you'll find several posts lauding GFilm.  Still others praise the Leeming Lut profile. 

There are dozens of great profiles.  Do a web search and find the one that works for you.

Increase red color depth to +5, and leave yellow color depth at 0. 

Move the temperature to something warmer with a slight tint shift to magenta. 

Don't use any premade non-rec709 LUTs unless you match exactly all their settings. Personally I wouldn't use them at all if you want a straight out of the camera look. 

If you still feel that colors are not to your liking, try pro color or cinema color modes.

The colour depth seems to change only the lightness of the colour (luma value) and not it's hue.

A better way to fight green or magenta casts, in my opinion, is a correct white balance and some tweaking on the white balance shift.

In the profile setting, the colour phase seems to help as well. positive numbers ( 1 to 7 ) go towards magenta and negative towards green.

Another suggestion is to change your colour mode to some of the other options. S.gamut 3 has a tendency of green casts if not altered to a correct colour space.

First off, always always always use an 18% grey card to get your white balance perfect. I've found this is by far the biggest thing you can do to help your colour. I started doing that, even for my travel shorts, earlier last year and the difference is night and day.

Secondly, give Geoff's GFILM a go. It is by far and away the best SLOG2 profile I've seen for Sony cameras. If you want a straight out of the camera look with no grading, EOSHD is the way to go.

(p.s custom white balance erroring out with an all green screen? You'll have to switch your PP setting to OFF, do the custom white balance, and then switch back to SLOG2. It sucks, but takes an extra 10 seconds if you have your PP button set to a custom button)