Panasonic seems to be announcing something "BIG" on December 15

seku

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

On January 8th - Panasonic will announce a new, bit more expensive GH5 “S” which will be great in lowlight, have improved DR and a couple of extra recording options.

The only big mystery and most requested feature is whether the camera has improved video autofocus..... I know we fellow gimbal users are very interested in this. 

45 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

On January 8th - Panasonic will announce a new, bit more expensive GH5 “S” which will be great in lowlight, have improved DR and a couple of extra recording options.

The only big mystery and most requested feature is whether the camera has improved video autofocus..... I know we fellow gimbal users are very interested in this. 

Well, and if it has full V Log curve. That way it would be a mini eva. And here I am again in this thread. Thank you Oliver! :)@Oliver Daniel, any musicvid you shot with the gh5 in the tradition of your super cool gh3 stuff? That would be something to come back to this thread for. Or a new Neumann shortfilm production.

Hum... well, if Casey did have the oppertunity to play with it... seems he wasn't much impressed (also, as a parttime conspiracy theorist... is the title giving away what is up?)...

Peter McKinnon (Canon sponsored (& Matti/Travel Feels?)) has him back on the Canon train it seems (6D II I'm assuming).

He got fired from Pana ambassador program after he leaked the GH5S lol. 

I cannot believe GH5s is only a vlog update. Wait, wait. Remember @Neumann Films video's title "the best vlog ever" .... What a surprise. 

Casey wants a good AF. He spoke about that in this video and all the time before. So that tells me 95% sure GH5s won't change AF anyway. 

3 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Well, and if it has full V Log curve. That way it would be a mini eva. And here I am again in this thread. Thank you Oliver! :)@Oliver Daniel, any musicvid you shot with the gh5 in the tradition of your super cool gh3 stuff? That would be something to come back to this thread for. Or a new Neumann shortfilm production.

The GH3 is my longest standing camera to date. I had it for 3 years, as in that timeframe, I spent my gear budget on lighting. 

I now have a GH5, preferring this as my professional level A-cam to an FS5 with a Shogun Inferno. 

I've shot 5-6 music videos on the GH5 now, only 1 has been released. Please note, this video also has some A7S2 and A6500 shots in there. 

19 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

He got fired from Pana ambassador program after he leaked the GH5S lol. 

I cannot believe GH5s is only a vlog update. Wait, wait. Remember @Neumann Films video's title "the best vlog ever" .... What a surprise. 

Casey wants a good AF. He spoke about that in this video and all the time before. So that tells me 95% sure GH5s won't change AF anyway. 

But the funny thing is he specifically mentions dropping resolution 'n schtuff for better dynamic range and such. Which... I think the GH5s would be all about (and thusfar seems that way, going by the bits 'n pieces Luke shared (btw, Congrats!)). I thought the update was going to be all on the processing end, a complete disregard for the stills side, for better video performance in terms of detail, dynamic range, colors, nuances, etc. Not so much lowlight perhaps (perhaps what the GH5 has improved over the GH4, the GH5s would be able to improve over the GH5 itself). C-AF neither (they'd have to approach this differently... which I doubt they'll have done). So it's really all about 'thick' gradable footage with good dynamic range, making it more 'filmic' if you will. Which on the one hand would make sense for Casey to not care about. He's more about the convenience... so when he started looking into 4K, it was first Sony, but they just were terribly impractical... and so the GH5 made its way into his arsenal (and it still is with vloggers like Jon Olsson). Just apparently he's seen every other YT-er still rocking Canon gear... and again, dualpixel AF, straight out of camera colors that are done with perhaps a curve thrown on it alone... and breezy 1080p footage for quick cut, render and upload times, means faster turnarounds. And getting your content up quick and painless is what the YT game is all about. So I get it... I just find it interesting he would mention dynamic specifically with looking for something else.

51 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I now have a GH5, preferring this as my professional level A-cam to an FS5 with a Shogun Inferno. 

I've shot 5-6 music videos on the GH5 now, only 1 has been released. Please note, this video also has some A7S2 and A6500 shots in there. 

Hey Oliver, color and lighting ist top quality. Video looks great. Music is a matter of taste though, your work isn´t, it´s exellent. I must confess, I would´nt be able to tell the cameras apart. Impressive!

2 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Why do you have a mix of cameras there, did you have a B cam op shooting at the same time?

2 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

The GH3 is my longest standing camera to date. I had it for 3 years, as in that timeframe, I spent my gear budget on lighting. 

Smart! I wanted to take that approach and resist buying any more cameras.... instead focusing on lighting! :glasses:

But then I broke down and couldn't resist the sale on the Z Cam E1 :grimace:

5 hours ago, Cinegain said:

But the funny thing is he specifically mentions dropping resolution 'n schtuff for better dynamic range and such. Which... I think the GH5s would be all about (and thusfar seems that way, going by the bits 'n pieces Luke shared (btw, Congrats!)). I thought the update was going to be all on the processing end, a complete disregard for the stills side, for better video performance in terms of detail, dynamic range, colors, nuances, etc. Not so much lowlight perhaps (perhaps what the GH5 has improved over the GH4, the GH5s would be able to improve over the GH5 itself). C-AF neither (they'd have to approach this differently... which I doubt they'll have done). So it's really all about 'thick' gradable footage with good dynamic range, making it more 'filmic' if you will. Which on the one hand would make sense for Casey to not care about. He's more about the convenience... so when he started looking into 4K, it was first Sony, but they just were terribly impractical... and so the GH5 made its way into his arsenal (and it still is with vloggers like Jon Olsson). Just apparently he's seen every other YT-er still rocking Canon gear... and again, dualpixel AF, straight out of camera colors that are done with perhaps a curve thrown on it alone... and breezy 1080p footage for quick cut, render and upload times, means faster turnarounds. And getting your content up quick and painless is what the YT game is all about. So I get it... I just find it interesting he would mention dynamic specifically with looking for something else.

Casey got rid of the GH5 because he wanted a more of a Cine look and shallower DoF.  I could not figure out what he went back too, but probably a Canon again for the DPAF.

Also a GH5 is a pretty heavy camera to hold on a Joby.

Casey videos are crap, and "cinematic / DR / blablabla" is only talking - what he (and a lot of vloggers and gimbal people) needs is good AF, and in this Canon is very good. 1080p and "good color science" are very useful too for quick turnaround. For him, I think that it is a very wise choice.

And for sure the GH5s will not have DPAF - Panasonic and manufacturers in general are stubborn to change routes. Panasonic stated for years that IBIS was not needed, that OIS was "better solution" - take years to change their minds and 2 GX cameras to start to use a 5-axis IBIS. And a lot of things like that - Olympus menus / interface (come on, you could not have histogram and levelling signs in the SAME screen?), Sony and Fuji with touchscreens (just now started using)...

(whishful thinking: Panny usually try newer tech in the GX line - IBIS, tilting EVF, 20mp sensor - and no rumors about a future GX9...maybe will be their first DPAF camera?)

Tbh Casey could use a Canon 70d and it wouldn’t matter. His strength is in the format of his editing. He has a vloggers pacing to his video because well...he’s a vlogger not a director of photography. I think Casey represents the vlogger market & these companies know the vlog community is bigger than the filmmaking community. Consumers are going crazy picking up enthusiast to high end cameras to stand out on youtube. I personally wouldn’t pay much attention to what he’s using.

anyone that complains that micro 4/3 isn’t cinematic enough obviously hasn’t witnessed the deep depth of field techniques used in movies like Citizen Kane. Or they don’t know you can easily get shallow depth of field from close focusing lenses or merely composing the image correctly. 

Moral of the story if you plan on shooting anything other than a youtube vlog ignore Casey

12 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

anyone that complains that micro 4/3 isn’t cinematic enough obviously hasn’t witnessed the deep depth of field techniques used in movies like Citizen Kane. Or they don’t know you can easily get shallow depth of field from close focusing lenses or merely composing the image correctly. 

Or just get a T0.95 lens!