Panasonic seems to be announcing something "BIG" on December 15

seku

This is getting quite out of hand ... and i fail to see why.

Some people need AF, some don't. Please don't crap on a camera which is awesome just because it doesn't have the one feature you want. Buy a different camera.

Calling ML hacked crap is callous at best. They did a lot for low-budget shooters, including opening up 3k 21:9 RAW on the 5dmk3. I sold mine a few weeks ago, not because of autofocus, but because of lacking exposure tools. I'm grateful to ML, and will continue with them on the truly open Axiom camera.

This is also a hobby to me, i'm a one-man band. Right now i am looking at the GH5 or GH5s which seems like an awesome compromise of picture quality (higher res/non-RAW) and a bag of tools i sorely miss (waveform for correct expo on skintones, highlights, etc). Also vectorscope.

Of course i'm lusting after a C200. It got the RAW i got so used to. Also the exposure tools i want. But this is a pro-cinema cam, which boasts your coveted AF, pro-XLR sound, internal RAW, wonderful color science, high DR, and is good in low light. And i think the price tag is right. Getting such a package under 10 grand at 1.5kg is unheard of. That's the weight of the 1DC!

So the C200 is on my personal shortlist. So is the GH5 and GH5s, and  i can barely wait to hear more on january 8th :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Rinad Amir said:
5 hours ago, wolf33d said:

@wolf33d well said ,as for canon costumers its normal to pay 5k+ for premiums  and yes weight and size does matter when your on tight budget and sometimes one man crew

id love if all those fanboys would realize that their getting ripped off hard by company that doesnt  care slightly about their costumers 

i mean we could sit here all day and argue about what camera has more specs etc but at the end why defend them in this bloody thread ?

make another thread and praise them as much as you like with your RAW ML! witch canon forbidded and even treatend to sue ML team if they touch their new products

So u can have yours unreliable 2011 or whatever dslr hacked crap by ML 

No offense, but I don’t think you’re following this conversation. But great points...

I have simple wishes and I am happy for a smaller sensor camera to not be a low light monster.  All I wish for is the GH5s is to combine the best of smaller sensor video with the colour science, motion cadence and global shutter of the digital bolex, the prores and raw of the BMPCC (2.5K or 3k raw would be fine), 13-14 stops DR and the shooting/focusing aids of the gh5.

• Super Members
29 minutes ago, mat33 said:

I have simple wishes and I am happy for a smaller sensor camera to not be a low light monster.  All I wish for is the GH5s is to combine the best of smaller sensor video with the colour science, motion cadence and global shutter of the digital bolex, the prores and raw of the BMPCC (2.5K or 3k raw would be fine), 13-14 stops DR and the shooting/focusing aids of the gh5.

If all that came true I would by it instantly. 

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

A Canon C200 is surprisingly small/lightweight, try instead shooting with a RED ONE! :-P ha

Having used the C200 for several long run and gun days, I would not call it lightweight! The form factor is nice, but if you're used to DSLR cameras it's significantly heavier, with all the advantages and disadvantages that brings. For me personally, though I love the quality and look of a larger heavier camera, smaller lighter cameras have proven better with my way of working. For that reason I stopped using a Ursa 4.6k and moved to the GH5 as my main camera.

Still miss the Blackmagic image, but the GH5 can get surprisingly close after grading, and I don't miss the pain in my arms, back and wrists!

My dream camera is one the size and weight of the GH5 with the image of the Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4.6k. Here's hoping for Raw in the GH5s...

1 hour ago, mat33 said:

I have simple wishes 

.. more like wishful thinking! ;)

Bolex uses a good old CCD sensor, great look but poor ISO performance. we're talking worst than current GH5. that's not going to happen.

Raw is also unlikely imo. even the +$40,000 Varicam 35 doesn't have that built-in.

I even doubt dual ISO. again that would be stealing a lot of thunder from EVA1/Varicams. but it may trickle down eventually.

Everything so far indicates GH5S is going to be an incremental update (after all it isn't GH6) .

Besides Panasonic risk too great backlash from GH5 owners if they give too much only 9 months after GH5 release.

20 hours ago, Rinad Amir said:

how bad is AF on GH5 ? 

think about all the good stuff Panna gives you like Waveform scopes V-log 10bit everything that we need focus peak?

ah too much to list compare to the competition for another 5 years if so?

AF is not that bad at all though I don't use it....I did however play with it to see...the real problem IMO is people want to bypass the skills to operate a camera this complex and essentially want a feature loaded GH5 that acts like a point and shoot....the gimbal issue comes up a lot...the sollution, unless you're Martin Scorsese, making Goodfellas, shoot shorter takes and employ some of the skills steadycam operators have used for years...like locking focus in manual mode, and then maintaining a constant distance from the sublject....or using a lens in the case where this is impossible with a short infinity distance and shooting away...for those complaining about GH5 AF on gimbals, I suggest viewing some steadycam reels on Vimeo or YouTube....and try to imagine the obstacle course the operators are navigating to achieve their incredible results....without AF and a camera setup that weighs between 25 and 45 lbs...in other words, stop blaming the camera and developer your own skills....for run and gun, either learn to focus manually or put up with what it can do, which is not as bad as reported...with AF the skill lies in where you can use it with this camera and where not.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Rinad Amir said:

That is about as much proof as if you said it.
I still don't believe it, not without proof.

If people knew how to hack a 1DC they would and just spread it online. But no one knows since they have never released a firmware upgrade.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Rinad Amir said:

@Mattias Burling its on ML official thread ...

I just see them saying that they dont know how to do it and rumors about "someone said".

Unless it's an official statement from Canon its not worth anything.  

But it doesn't matter. Its not gonna happen, they don't even know how. And we can just leave it at that.

3 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

the real problem IMO is people want to bypass the skills

before power-assisted steering, steering needed higher skill and more effort. now its easier and fun. we wouldn't have much of the tools we have today if we didn't try to bypass the traditional skills

to operate a camera this complex and essentially want a feature loaded GH5 that acts like a point and shoot

whats wrong with that? people are working to make autonomous fighter jets, helicopters, trucks and cars. a video camera is more complicated than those things? we dont even asked them to make it fully autonomous.. we just expect it to keep the damn subject in focus. 

locking focus in manual mode, and then maintaining a constant distance from the sublject

good luck with that in metro stations.. or any public location. 

11 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

before power-assisted steering, steering needed higher skill and more effort. now its easier and fun. we wouldn't have much of the tools we have today if we didn't try to bypass the traditional skills

and so did Panna  now u dont need Extra Screen for waveform or focus peak its all builtin how great is that makes your life ton easy init? so u can go lighter and have fun rather than bein loaded with extra screens gear..oh wait 5xis dual stab u dont even need a gimbal anymore ! 

whats wrong with that? people are working to make autonomous fighter jets, helicopters, trucks and cars. a video camera is more complicated than those things? we dont even asked them to make it fully autonomous.. we just expect it to keep the damn subject in focus. 

yes different manufactures produce different stuff just like Canon Panna Sonny JVC and  we get the point  

good luck with that in metro stations.. or any public location. 

Try Focus Peaking (GH5) has it built in works great

17 hours ago, mat33 said:

You forgot to add that it would Only cost about $1,000.00 instead of $15,000.00 it would probably cost to build it LoL. Everyone in the world would buy that camera if it was 2 grand!

It would look like a Apple iPhone roll out with people camping in tents 4 days ahead of the launch outside of a Panasonic store. :astonished: