Panasonic seems to be announcing something "BIG" on December 15

seku

14 minutes ago, mercer said:

Which will also probably mean that you will be able to bake in LUTS.

I would upgrade for that feature alone. 

Two reasons:

1. For many projects having great personalized colors in camera would be a big advantage. 

2. Better quality than recording Vlog and applying the LUT. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Everyone is focusing on the red buttons, but look at these hard angles on the left rear of the camera. These lines do not conform to any current Panasonic camera. Not GH5 or G9. And the angles are no optical illusion, as they are clearly present in both images, even though the pictures are taken at different angles. It’s clearly a brand new model, not merely software.

653C3080-0A1C-482E-8D67-3E6CCAC66D7E.jpeg

11 hours ago, mercer said:

I know people don’t like the idea of an EF mount but at what price point is too high for a micro 4/3 sensor... or is there a price point that is too high?

The AF100 was fairly "expensive", yet nothing at that price level has come out since. 

So there is plenty of possible price increases still possible for the MFT ecosystem! (plus the DJI MFT raw camera is much more expensive than the GH5)

11 hours ago, forofilms said:

Why would Panasonic lend the camera out to Neistat? Seems like a poor candidate to test/QC the range of features on this type of camera.

I spoke to a Panasonic Rep at NAB this year. The day before NAB Casey switched to the GH5 and talked about it in his vlog. The Panasonic rep told me that as soon as that video went up, their pre-orders on the GH5 went up 20%. That was in 24 hours back in April. I can't imagine the number of sales that have been done just from Casey since then. 

• Super Members

Even on camera forums Casey is sometimes used as an argument, "if its good enough for him..".

And he obviously knows how to vlogg. Almost every channel I know has turned to his style of editing and mixing music. So Im not at all surprised that he is an influencer on gear as well.

• Administrators

Casey switched from Canon and Sony to using the Panasonic GH5 almost 90% of the time. He still has other cameras but it's the GH5 that really turned things around.

Canon failed to give YouTubers like him what they need... 4K, small file sizes, articulated screen, all in the same camera... so the 5D Mk IV for all it's Dual Pixel AF goodness languishes in the corner as do the 1080p Canons - Big up-swing in noticeable quality when Casey switched to the GH5's 10bit 4K.

Hopefully though, the number of out of focus shots in Casey's video where the camera selects the background instead of the subject will whip Panasonic into action to sort out some form of Dual Pixel AF competitor technology. Or maybe Casey doesn't mind... vlogging is a raw style, doesn't need to be formal and correct all the time. I do think AF in video mode is the next thing for Panasonic to get right though. It's a priority in my mind.

The more I think about the GH5s the more I hope it's true.

The GH5 is a great little camera and I've used it a lot since I got it but in certain event work the lowlight really lets it down compared with my Canon C100.

If the GH5s is a video centric GH5 with far better lowlight and some other enhanced video features (magnify for focus whilst filming, more accurate battery levels, better sound controls when using a mini jack mic, etc) then I could see myself going all in with Panasonic as they would have an almost perfect line up (I focus on video not stills).

I have a GX85 from Hong Kong ( no recording limit) as a B/C video cam and small handy stills.

GH5 for general video work and B cam in events.

GH5s for weddings, events.

And when I retire the C100 the EVA1 could well be the obvious choice as my next work horse.

Hmmmm, definitely need the lowlight improvement as after a whole wedding season with the GH5, I can only really complain about lowlight and focus magnify. 

On 11/26/2017 at 11:16 AM, Alex Uzan said:

It depends.

If the new gh5s fixes the bad things of the current GH5, which are really poor AF and bad low light performance, then the current gh5 will lose a lot of value, which is not acceptable for a product released only for a few months.

I understand that you only purchased the GH5 3 weeks ago, but it has been released since March, that's a bit more than a few months. If there is announcement Dec 15th, at that time you'll have the option to really weigh things out and know if your buyers remorse is justified. Until then, I see no reason why you cant enjoy your GH5 for all the other good things that enticed you to buy it just 3 weeks ago. 

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Hopefully though, the number of out of focus shots in Casey's video where the camera selects the background instead of the subject will whip Panasonic into action to sort out some form of Dual Pixel AF competitor technology. Or maybe Casey doesn't mind... vlogging is a raw style, doesn't need to be formal and correct all the time. I do think AF in video mode is the next thing for Panasonic to get right though. It's a priority in my mind.

+10000 

I wish you were advising Panasonic instead of Casey. The problem is that when you upload a video on YouTube it doesn’t push their pre-order 20%. That’s all that matters now. 

Thanksfully, the only thing Panasonic did not get right (video speaking) is AF, and there is a good chance Casey is sensitive to that and told them. I can only hope. 

A GH5 with great AF would be so great. Also they  know A7S3 will have at least A9 AF And be full frame so they can’t wait 3 years to compete. Especially if A7S3 got same GH5 specs (4k60p and 10 bit) then they know they are DEAD. 

2 hours ago, mechanicalEYE said:

I understand that you only purchased the GH5 3 weeks ago, but it has been released since March, that's a bit more than a few months. If there is announcement Dec 15th, at that time you'll have the option to really weigh things out and know if your buyers remorse is justified. Until then, I see no reason why you cant enjoy your GH5 for all the other good things that enticed you to buy it just 3 weeks ago. 

I’ll go one better than this... what if another manufacturer releases a camera that beats the GH5 in every way? Better handling, low-light, battery life, IQ, AF, stabilization... just crushes it in everything. Will that hurt the value of the GH5? Of course it will. It is a well established fact that the GH5 suffers from poor AF in video and low-light is not exactly the best. All GH5 owner purchased their cameras, so we all stand to lose some resale value. But after the next release of the new “best camera”, our current cameras will be no less capable than the day we bought them. Cameras are generally not an appreciating asset. If you wish to make money with them, you must do so by using them to create a product that then earns a return. 

Let me give you all a heads up... after you plop down money on the new GH5s, rest assured that a relatively short while after doing so, a new better camera will be released. One that addresses the shortcomings of the GH5s (or whatever model number). And yes, there will be shortcoming. If this bother you, don’t upgrade. You only realize the lost once you sell and lock it in.

Why exactly is this a problem? As I recall there is only one camera manufacturer that ever promised not to release updates in a short timeframe. And that manufacturer is Canon. The irony of that is Canon are consistently given grief for not innovation rapidly enough. Yet the only way they could do this would be to release more regular updates. Also the model protection that Canon puts in place so that no model steps on the toes of another is constantly criticized. Yet in doing this they seemingly protect the value of each of their products. 

If you prefer Canons way of doing things, well buy Canon. They make great cameras. But if you want the latest and greatest features and tech, go with Sony or Panasonic.

Fuji is rumored to have a video dedicated new camera soon also, maybe Panasonic is rushing things because a 2000$ APS-C camera, with a lot of native lenses (+recently released cheap cine lenses) and IBIS will compete with their GH5 really soon, rather than a double price-full frame camera from Sony. Buy a GH5 and a couple of lenses, or three, for 3000$, that ain't even the body of the Sony, and then you have to spend two times more for a couple of Sony lenses. I do not believe that a new A7s, that will be close to 4000$, will be the main competitor of the GH5. I am not even sure that Sony can implement 10 bit internal on that camera, but we will see.

I do not believe that Casey, or Andrew, or me, have to tell Panasonic about their AF. Do you think they do not test other people's cameras? or do not really hear the market? They can't just do everything at once, it is an evolution progress, and Panasonic invested on other things, that their cameras excel (like heat dissipation, continuous video recording, advanced codecs and formats etc). It took almost half a dozen years for Sony to put a bigger battery on their cameras, which wasn't that groundbreaking to start with, that grip was mainly empty anyway.

Canon C100mkII is still my most beloved tool, and Samsung NX1 second, an ancient one and a forgotten one. They both do the job 9/10 for me.

On 12/1/2017 at 12:28 PM, PannySVHS said:

It would be a heck of a trumpingly tremendeous:) campaign to have Casey Neistat show off their new revolutionary AF of this new camera. The perfect vlogging camera, all these vlogging vips of the utubs universe have been bragging about.

People would go nuts and buy it for 2799, just for the best in class AF, Casey Neistat proven.

It will be a great time to buy used GH5 cameras very soon.:)

I hope the af is improved, but doesn’t seem much different in his recent videos. Of course there’s no way of knowing for sure what camera he’s using in what shots. 

Interesting rumour. However, given that this will likely be pretty much a video only device in real terms, and more expensive than the already quite dear GH5, I do wonder what Panasonic are going to pull out of the bag here.

I think it would have to do RAW video of some kind to really tempt me personally to pay any more than GH5 for a m4/3 video-only cam, and also must have a serious answer to Canon DPAF.

At present, the killer thing for me would be the C200, with RAW, DPAF and great colour science. If this is video only, and doesn’t have a couple of absolutely killer features, I’d rather have a nice camera for stills (maybe a 5dmkiv) and then use the lenses on a hired C200.

All the sensitivity and resolution in the world mean squat if the subject isn’t in focus and the colour sucks.

12 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Casey switched from Canon and Sony to using the Panasonic GH5 almost 90% of the time. He still has other cameras but it's the GH5 that really turned things around.

Canon failed to give YouTubers like him what they need... 4K, small file sizes, articulated screen, all in the same camera... so the 5D Mk IV for all it's Dual Pixel AF goodness languishes in the corner as do the 1080p Canons - Big up-swing in noticeable quality when Casey switched to the GH5's 10bit 4K.

his GH5 videos have less camera shake with the GH5 IBIS than his Sony/Canon, so they look better to the average viewer even if the AF isn't as good.

I agree Panasonic have to fix the AF quickly, even if it means releasing a PDAF GH6 next year. 

Much as I like the GH5, I need AF for gimbal work so have to use NX1 or A6500.

1 hour ago, John Jay said:

Much as I like the GH5, I need AF for gimbal work so have to use NX1 or A6500.

How does NX1 AF compares to A6500 or Canon's PDAF? 

I was very excited about the this new panasonic as I'm about to invest into a new video system until I saw the rumors out of Fuji. With IBIS, etc. 

I'm only waiting for Nikon to leak their upcoming mirrorless wonder, to make my decision even more confusing since I own many nikon lenses. 

14 hours ago, salim said:

How does NX1 AF compares to A6500 or Canon's PDAF? 

I was very excited about the this new panasonic as I'm about to invest into a new video system until I saw the rumors out of Fuji. With IBIS, etc. 

I'm only waiting for Nikon to leak their upcoming mirrorless wonder, to make my decision even more confusing since I own many nikon lenses. 

I sold the GH5 because of AF, it does not compare to A6500. 
My point of view is that Canon DPAF is the golden standard, it just works and is reliable enough for pro use. 

Then you have Sony A9 level. It is very good, just one step under DPAF but it works well and is enough for gimbal work. 

GH5 is not enough for gimbal work from my use. To many shots were it would hunt or just loose focus for 2-3seconds, and even when it is spot on you have some micro hunting happening in the bokeh. This is due to contrast af technology. 
I guess Panasonic did a great job for CAF type, they just used the wrong technology.