Panasonic seems to be announcing something "BIG" on December 15

seku

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, Matt Culley said:

It’s human nature to always want improvements. Doesn’t mean anyone thinks they can’t make great stuff with the current GH5. 

And still more shitty movies are made than ever before. It´s human nature to sell stuff. It´s human nature to see that and reflect upon that, unless other parts of human nature take over and make people buy a Sony A6300 as A camera for a low budget feature film:) Seriously, human nature has us tricked into all different directions and has us pulled back out again. Enough talking, give me your GH5:)

Ooooh exciting :)

I think it's certainly a new GH5 camera, as opposed to an add-on or firmware. 

If it is a new camera and it rocks, I'll get it to partner my existing GH5. 

My gut tells me that it's going to be different to what people are expecting though...... Panasonic aren't going to ditch the current GH5 anytime soon, so how will both models appeal?... *drum roll*

I think there will be enough features to warrant the extra money but it will probably leave some current GH5 owners annoyed it was released so soon after the GH5.

I would expect lowlight either via less MPs or a larger S35mm sensor... or both. 

But I would also expect something more, especially if it is a micro 4/3 sensor. Internal NDs would be huge but also internal/external 1080p Raw or perhaps ProRes.

I know people don’t like the idea of an EF mount but at what price point is too high for a micro 4/3 sensor... or is there a price point that is too high?

I don’t really have an opinion either way, and the only thing that would make me consider this camera is a new codec... ProRes or Raw would really tempt me, especially if it has IBIS. Add internal NDs and I am even more interested. Throw a S35mm sensor on it and... I probably won’t be able to afford it.

Hmm... this is some mystery.

Obviously this camera has been planned for a while now, and obviously Panasonic wouldn’t want to alienate their new GH5 buyers. And since the EVA1 is roughy $7500 and the GH5 is $2000, then I would assume the GH5s will fall somewhere between $3000 and $4000.

Well I guess the new rumor is that the price will be around $2499... better lowlight is a pretty big deal and for only $500 more maybe there will be nothing more? 

9 minutes ago, mercer said:

Well I guess the new rumor is that the price will be around $2499... better lowlight is a pretty big deal and for only $500 more maybe there will be nothing more? 

That's my guess as well. Larger pixels will also give better color information, and if the sensor readout is faster then maybe GH5s will also have improved AF performance. 

Just now, Don Kotlos said:

That's my guess as well. 

It seems odd timing to release a new GH5s with nothing more than increased lowlight performance, though?

Since I assume the majority of GH5 sales are from video users, it almost seems like they’re killing their own GH5 sales for only $500 more? Unless there is going to be a price drop of the GH5.

This is actually kinda strange marketing and timing. I tend to think there will be a few more features and the price will be $2999. Just enough to warrant a jump in price but not enough to really hurt existing GH5 sales.

8 minutes ago, mercer said:

It seems odd timing to release a new GH5s with nothing more than increased lowlight performance, though?

Since I assume the majority of GH5 sales are from video users, it almost seems like they’re killing their own GH5 sales for only $500 more? Unless there is going to be a price drop of the GH5.

This is actually kinda strange marketing and timing. I tend to think there will be a few more features and the price will be $2999. Just enough to warrant a jump in price but not enough to really hurt existing GH5 sales.

There already is a price drop on the GH5. You can get one new on eBay for $1499.00 USD. The deal has been on ever since the week of Black Friday and is still available. 

14 minutes ago, forofilms said:

Why would Panasonic lend the camera out to Neistat? Seems like a poor candidate to test/QC the range of features on this type of camera.

It would be a heck of a trumpingly tremendeous:) campaign to have Casey Neistat show off their new revolutionary AF of this new camera. The perfect vlogging camera, all these vlogging vips of the utubs universe have been bragging about.

People would go nuts and buy it for 2799, just for the best in class AF, Casey Neistat proven.

It will be a great time to buy used GH5 cameras very soon.:)

4 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

It would be a heck of a trumpingly tremendeous:) campaign to have Casey Neistat show off their new revolutionary AF of this new camera. The perfect vlogging camera, all these vlogging vips of the utubs universe have been bragging about.

People would go nuts and buy it for 2799, just for the best in class AF, Casey Neistat proven.

It will be a great time to buy used GH5 cameras very soon.:)

I suppose that's probably what it was, give a copy to Neistat for the AF testing and one to Neumann for lowlight. 

5 minutes ago, forofilms said:

There already is a price drop on the GH5. You can get one new on eBay for $1499.00 USD. The deal has been on ever since the week of Black Friday and is still available. 

That’s a grey market GH5... good price though. And a sale isn’t a price drop. But I live in NJ, and since 6th Ave is a NJ based store I’d have to pay sales tax... so with the sales tax it brings you over $1600. Better to get a New Open Box From Samy’s for $1599. But if you don’t mind grey market and you don’t live in NJ, then that is a great price.

5 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

It would be a heck a trumping trendeous:) campaign to have Casey Neistat show of the new revolutionary AF of this new camera. The perfect vlogging camera, all these vlogging vips of the utubs universe have been bragging about.

I would love to see best in class AF. But I don’t know that Panasonic could pull that off in video. Lowlight... maybe? With all this hype, they better bring their A-game.

If there using a low megapixel sensor then surely they'll have to omit 6k anamorphic - i'm struggling to see how they are going to make it different enough than the GH5 to warrant a different camera. I don't use the AF but it would really suck if they fixed it in the GH5s but not the GH5

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

That would be a step in the wrong direction from my point of view. The organic sensor that Panasonic has been developing has the ability to selectively change the sensitivity of individual pixels. This is a much better approach than merely cutting down light for the entire sensor by using an ND filter. 

I would like to see some real innovation. I have NDs, as do I would wager most of the GH5 owners here. The assumption seems to be inferred that removing the mechanical shutter has no downsides. Well if the Sony A9 and A7RIII are examples, I can tell you that many have reported rolling shutter problems when using electronic shutter in place of mechanical. Also those cameras seem to suffer from defocus issues when using electronic shutter. 

Very interesting info about the organic sensor here. I didn't realize it would have that sort of capability. Short of that though, I do think an electronically-charged, internal ND would be awesome in this little camera. For me that is the last step needed for a GH camera to be considered a full feature video camera, at least as such could be defined today. I do agree that a electronic shutter is not without downsides for still shooting, but this camera is {rumored} to be *very* video-centric. I believe many video shooters would gladly trade a mechanical shutter for internal ND... if this were the actual situation. We'll see soon. 

23 minutes ago, mercer said:

I think the new sensor {rumor} will open up a few new possibilities:

-Better low light performance

-Better color rendition

-Better DR?

-Faster sensor readout for higher fps 

-and maybe even elimination of rolling shutter

6 minutes ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

Very interesting info about the organic sensor here. I didn't realize it would have that sort of capability. Short of that though, I do think an electronically-charged, internal ND would be awesome in this little camera. For me that is the last step needed for a GH camera to be considered a full feature video camera, at least as such could be defined today. I do agree that a electronic shutter is not without downsides for still shooting, but this camera is {rumored} to be *very* video-centric. I believe many video shooters would gladly trade a mechanical shutter for internal ND... if this were the actual situation. We'll see soon. 

I think the new sensor {rumor} will open up a few new possibilities:

-Better low light performance

-Better color rendition

-Better DR?

-Faster sensor readout for higher fps 

-and maybe even elimination of rolling shutter

That’s true and I guess VLog will be free instead of an add on.

Since we’re speculating, I would love for Panasonic to release a GH5b that only offers 10bit 1080p 200mbps all-i up to 72fps, and IBIS. I don’t need VLog or any AF, I’ll take the waveform and the shutter angle feature all in a metal body the size of the G85. Make it a 12MP sensor for $1000 to $1200 and I’m a buyer. I assume I’ll see a Canon Rebel with 4K before I’ll see that camera... so probably never. 

And I guess I wouldn’t mind some anamorphic too. May as well.

3 minutes ago, apekkpul said:

I think Panasonic will announce "the best v-log ever", not a new camera. 

Yeah maybe with the new sensor you’ll be able to shoot VLog at ISO 100... which could be the significance of the close up robot sky shot that Luke shared. 

Which will also probably mean that you will be able to bake in LUTS.