Panasonic seems to be announcing something "BIG" on December 15

seku

There is surprisingly little talk about GH5. The new HLG profile makes it very interesting without paying additional cost of vlog-L. Most users have not figured it yet.  HLG also helps with  noise issues of GH5. The HDR is also difficult subject and makes too nervous conversations and confusions.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
38 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

Strange that when the GH5 came out a few months ago it was hailed as an amazing camera that fulfilled may people's dreams of a near perfect camera for very little money. Now there seems to be hysterical expectation for a new one that will promise to fix a suddenly important  list of faults and deficiencies.......

People will never stop finding deficiencies & faults and then asking for more. This is why these companies are treating us like babies, because we are indeed babies. I have my GH5 from July and i don't see any faults or deficiencies here. Better low light performance would be welcomed, although i don't see my self paying a grand more for this. But you never know, :) babies are unpredictable.

None of these cameras are "end game". There's always room for improvement. Moaning isn't necessarily bad, it's like a very well publicised bug hunt, firmware fixes came out thanks to that. Being reasonable is important though. Don't be impossible. "Babies" are more like impulse buyers, they don't know what they actually get into. "Oh this needs rigging, oh there's noise if I underexpose" etc. Zero research.

48 minutes ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

People will never stop finding deficiencies & faults and then asking for more. This is why these companies are treating us like babies, because we are indeed babies. I have my GH5 from July and i don't see any faults or deficiencies here. Better low light performance would be welcomed, although i don't see my self paying a grand more for this. But you never know, :) babies are unpredictable.

True.

I think over the last decade DSLR shooters have now divided into 3 demographic

.Those that actually want to get work done. Shoot shoot shoot

.Those who still think their creativity is hindered by the capability of their tool

.Those whose sole interest is looking for faults and improvements.

To me it seems panasonic are now catering a lot more for the later 2. I dont know if iits a good thing. But it sells boxes to a nuche market 

Regardless of what sensor or codec this new camera is going to have, The GH series  mojo and the color science will remain the same.

@Liszon I am not talking about bugs & actual faults of the camera. Panasonic could not ignore these anyway, because the competition on this specific price range is getting "hot" right now, Sony will respond and Fuji also. From the very first days of GH5, people expected miracles from it & even 1 week later the first comparisons with RED cameras came on line. Some users called this a mini Alexa for f**k's sake! Reviewers said that it has the exact same IQ with GH4, which of it DOES NOT. Some made complaints about it's low light performance, which is totally FINE, and others made complaints about it's codec, which honestly, it's the best i have worked with. There is nothing wrong with "babies", they know exactly what they want. They just can't wait for it...

30 minutes ago, Dunjoye said:

True.

I think over the last decade DSLR shooters have now divided into 3 demographic

.Those that actually want to get work done. Shoot shoot shoot

.Those who still think their creativity is hindered by the capability of their tool

.Those whose sole interest is looking for faults and improvements.

To me it seems panasonic are now catering a lot more for the later 2. I dont know if iits a good thing. But it sells boxes to a nuche market 

I think it's the opposite actually. Most filmmakers ive seen who use GH are there to get work done, knowing its a work tool. Youtubers complain about its lack of autofocus ability and low light capability and so stick to Sony's and Canons.

+100 @jonpais....the GH5 is not a buy and shoot out of the box camera...it really is a complex and professional tool...like any of the Cinema cameras this is easy to get out of focus or poorly exposed footage with that will then look like crap...but for a crew, or an individual who gets it right, this is hardly a "prosumer" camera...it's just priced as one...

1 hour ago, Fritz Pierre said:

+100 @jonpais....the GH5 is not a buy and shoot out of the box camera...it really is a complex and professional tool...like any of the Cinema cameras this is easy to get out of focus or poorly exposed footage with that will then look like crap...but for a crew, or an individual who gets it right, this is hardly a "prosumer" camera...it's just priced as one...

I could care less about labels. No camera to date has been perfect, so it is absolutely reasonable to desire something that checks more boxes. The current GH5 is a great camera. But we all know the GH6, 7 and 8 will be better still. If you can upgrade without breaking your budget... then why not?

Ask yourself this, would any manufacturer add features or enhancements if they believed no one would ever upgrade to the new and improved model? If we as consumers choose not to reward and recognize when companies innovate, then innovation will die.

If the GH5S... 0r whatever it’s called is substantiallly better than the current GH5, then I will buy it. Hell, I might buy two and put my old GH5 up for sale. I know many other will do likewise. I don’t shoot film to pay my bills. I just enjoy it as a creative release. I do it for the love of the art. If something I shoot gets likes or entertains, then that is payment enough for me. 

People need to understand that just because a new model is released, does not mean that somehow the current model will be rendered incapable of shooting the images it did when you first bought it. Your old GH5 will still be every bit as good as the day you purchased it. If you choose to upgrade to the latest and greatest, then you are simply confirming that there was indeed room for improvement. 

Personally, I hope the GH5S (or whatever the name) is amazing, and makes my current GH5 feel like a piece of junk. Because if it can do that, it’s gonna be a keeper... well, until the GH6 :grin:

Panasonic continually innovates because that's what companies do; to assert that they do so not to satisfy the needs of the professional, but above all else to hawk their wares to pixel peepers and to those convinced it's their camera that's holding them back from greatness is a bit of an exaggeration. In any case, I don't see why they can't have it both ways. 

No camera is perfect. I bought the GH5, was not happy with AF and sold it right after. 
It's not like I waited the GH5s to say GH5 is full of cons. 

Many great cameras outthere, none perfect, depends on your need. On my side the GH5 fits everything for video except AF. 

4 hours ago, seku said:

I'm coming from 5dmk3 magic lantern. One of the main reasons i want to switch is just because the GH5/GH5s have professional exposure and focussing tools. The waveform alone feels like a godsent. It surely feels like a production cam to where i come from :)

The other aspect to the GH5 that's more rarely discussed but very relevant if you use the camera for production, is when you shoot in Prores HQ in 10bit 4:2:2 at 800mbps to SSDs you now have the image of a serious production camera IMO...yes...you add the mass off Vmounts, a rig, and an external recorder, but on sticks you now have a camera that still weighs far less than the big boys, but delivering IQ for any use, with large focus and exposure tools, and yet, can be stripped down to a small package rather quickly, for shooting in a location where say discretion is advisable...I love the modular nature of what many consider Frankenstein rigs...

33 minutes ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

I've thought about this as well. Internal ND and better ISO performance is enough to convince me to buy. 

That would be a step in the wrong direction from my point of view. The organic sensor that Panasonic has been developing has the ability to selectively change the sensitivity of individual pixels. This is a much better approach than merely cutting down light for the entire sensor by using an ND filter. 

I would like to see some real innovation. I have NDs, as do I would wager most of the GH5 owners here. The assumption seems to be inferred that removing the mechanical shutter has no downsides. Well if the Sony A9 and A7RIII are examples, I can tell you that many have reported rolling shutter problems when using electronic shutter in place of mechanical. Also those cameras seem to suffer from defocus issues when using electronic shutter.