Panasonic seems to be announcing something "BIG" on December 15

seku

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

The thing that blows my mind is that no amount of money can buy you a small dslr sized camera, with a flip out screen, that shoots at least 4k at 60fps, and also takes stills... has good autofocus. I don’t care how much it costs. I need a SMALL dslr sized photo/ video hybrid with RELIABLE AF. It’s a HUGE need in the marketplace because of the YouTube revolution. 

If the GH5s shoots 4k up to 60fps, and has reliable autofocus... I don’t care how much it costs, I NEED that tool for my job and there is literally not a single camera that fills that need right now. 

Hi David,

Not to derail this thread, but could you please explain how you are getting your 1DC  to auto focus during shooting motion  ?    Push to auto focus .

I called canon and they said it can not .

Thanks,

John

2 minutes ago, Cliff Totten said:

Woah,...just had a thought. What if Panasonic got the balls to add "Dual ISO" to the GH5-S...stolen from the EVA1 and VariCam?

Would they actually be that bold for a camera this cheap?

Yeah why not. I have a feeling we all get exited with many features but the GH5S will maintain same 4K60, same AF,... Nothing too crazy like DPAF or 4K120p HDR. 

38 minutes ago, Cliff Totten said:

Woah,...just had a thought. What if Panasonic got the balls to add "Dual ISO" to the GH5-S...stolen from the EVA1 and VariCam?

Would they actually be that bold for a camera this cheap?

They could! They could actually be this bold, this cheap... as the s35 sensor in the EVA1 would still be enough in the professionals eye to justify the purchase. I don't think Panasonic would run into any market issues with this route. 

I'd be happy with 4k 60fps 4:2:2 10-bit on the GH5s... 120fps would be amazing though. 

Ehh... no PADF, no sale for me. MF with fly-by-wire native lenses is a joke, same for running one on a gimbal. Literally everyone else has moved beyond contrast only AF at this price point. Despite Panasonic's marketing attempts - DFD isn't the greatest AF system in the world. Yes everyone's needs are different and plenty will never use the AF, so no need to hit me with the condescending "pros never use AF" bullshit. At that price point it needs a competitive AF system. If not I'll keep using Sony and Fuji.

I was soooooo close to buying a GH5 and a EM1.2 when I was in Hong Kong a few months ago and just completely moving to m43, instead I re-bought the a7rII and a few lenses. I'm now thinking about selling my Fuji kit and going full Sony with the a7r3 and a smaller body like the a6500. I would like 4k60, but I'd like to be able to solo-shoot it on a gimbal utilizing AF.

I don't buy the speculation about not being able to go PADF because of some contractual thing with Sony either, IMO they're focused on other areas like the video spec and now IBIS - and aren't devoting the resources necessary to program a CDAF/PDAF array since m43 cameras are a small source of revenue and turn little to no profit.

I don't think something as awesome as 4k120p will get me to switch or even consider this, since DR will still be the same and AF will still suck compared to others. Anyone dreaming of another stop is delusional, since no currently available sensor architecture has delivered a full stop from generation to generation in the last few years, improvements are always incremental, a fun stop would be a dramatic gain. Not going to happen.

Cheers

Is there a difference between a camera's sensor actually putting out 15 stops of dynamic range (such as an Alexa, or Film) or a potential GH5s's HDR mode putting out 15 stops in that mode?

I mean, from a practical point of view and all other things (such as colour, sharpness, resolution etc) being equal, would they be able to look the same?

6 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Panasonic's announcement will instead be an "affordable" set of Panny/Leica anamorphic lenses!...to go with their Open Gate feature...

At least that's what would get me excited...another camera lol...not sure what for?

Affordable and Leica doesn’t go together. So given these will be Panasonic/Leica we might only be paying $20k per lens... 

https://www.ducloslenses.com/collections/summilux

...which is a real bargain for a Leica branded cinema lens

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

Affordable and Leica doesn’t go together. So given these will be Panasonic/Leica we might only be paying $20k per lens... 

https://www.ducloslenses.com/collections/summilux

...which is a real bargain for a Leica branded cinema lens

Panasonic did make a single focus anamorphic adapter before....even leaving Leica out of it...if they made an Anamorphic lens without focus by wire, it would be interesting with the OpenGate...or 3/4  anamorphic aspect ratio...have to say though the PL12-60 and the PL25 F1.4 are very good lenses for the price...so an anamorphic zoom Sergio Leone style at  say T2.9 and 25 -100 zoom would blow the market away! Panny could charge a lot of money for that lens!

11 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Panasonic did make a single focus anamorphic adapter before....even leaving Leica out of it...if they made an Anamorphic lens without focus by wire, it would be interesting with the OpenGate...or 3/4  anamorphic aspect ratio...have to say though the PL12-60 and the PL25 F1.4 are very good lenses for the price...so an anamorphic zoom Sergio Leone style at  say T2.9 and 25 -100 zoom would blow the market away! Panny could charge a lot of money for that lens!

I don’t doubt they could build an amazing anamorphic if they wanted. I would go as far as to say that they could even offer it cheaply... I just don’t think they would... and by cheaply I mean sub $3k... which in the M43 world is still not cheap.

I'm looking at all the info I can find on this Sony Starvis IMX294 sensor. There is a new astronomy camera (ZWO ASI294MC) with this sensor that measures 13stops of dynamic range at 0db. I dont know if it employs the 3 HDR modes this sensor offers or if the GH5-s will use them all either.

But even with this odd "quad pixel" array and HDR binning trick that Sony has....I find it hard to believe that any sensor with 4.6 micron photosits can achieve 14 or 15 stops of DR.

"If" 15 real stops were possible in 2k binning mode, this GH5-S would be mind blowingly crazy.

CT

The Nikon D7200 has 3.92 pixels and 14.6 stops of DR (RAW stills).

The size of the pixels doesn't seem to relate to maximum DR.      It does seem to matter for DR at higher ISOs (which will not be as good as at base).

I think it means if this camera (if that is what it is) is using the Starvis sensor, they will get good high ISO because of the size of the pixels (and modern tech supporting it) and get the increased DR (if any) at base via voodoo.       

I would expect it to have much better DR at higher ISOs than the current GH5 and other M43 cameras but it is still going to be lower than at base (it just wont fall away as quickly as most M43 cameras.)

Then again, this could just be announcing a new camera strap!

15 minutes ago, Cliff Totten said:

I find it hard to believe that any sensor with 4.6 micron photosits can achieve 14 or 15 stops of DR.

Sensor size is only one part of the equation. Read noise is another, which can have a greater influence  on dynamic range than sensor size. I don’t know what the theoretical limit is, but if the GH5 is already capable of 12 stops of DR, I see no reason why we can’t get more, unless all scientific research comes to a screeching halt. BTW, the GH2 had 7-8 stops of DR.