Panasonic seems to be announcing something "BIG" on December 15

seku

All this talk about DR, honestly I would just like to be able to expose the sky and my subject without sacrificing one for the other. As I understand it, the organic sensor that Panasonic has been working on for the past seven or so years can essentially do exactly this. Put that sensor and even AF as good as the new G9 in the GH5 and Panasonic can have my money. But I would prefer they not reduce pixel count. I like detail, and the option to crop in on photos.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
44 minutes ago, DBounce said:

All this talk about DR, honestly I would just like to be able to expose the sky and my subject without sacrificing one for the other. As I understand it, the organic sensor that Panasonic has been working on for the past seven or so years can essentially do exactly this. Put that sensor and even AF as good as the new G9 in the GH5 and Panasonic can have my money. But I would prefer they not reduce pixel count. I like detail, and the option to crop in on photos.

After watching a lot of videos, G9 AF is not that good. In many cases it fails even more than GH5 when tracking. 
My minimum acceptable level for video AF is A6500, or A9. 

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Man, if a new GH5 has a much better AF technology than the current GH5, I know a lot of people that will become very angry! I don't believe it will.

What if it has the EVA sensor? As of the size and weight, the GH5 is almost like a dSLR, not at all a small and light mirrorless camera, so there is no problem to fit a bigger sensor there. and

What if it isn't a Sony sensor? That TowerJazz company that the new Nikon sensor is out from, belongs 48% to Panasonic.

What if isn't even a camera? Everything about it is suspicious. You have a killer video camera in the form of a dSLR/Mirrorless hybrid that in my country came in June, and the EVA arrived couple of weeks ago, I am not even sure if they have even sell one here. Plus, what else can you put on a more expensive GH5? and if indeed there is one coming, with a few more extra features, ain't it going to hurt EVA sales?

It seems the D850 sensor isn't a Tower Jazz one after all.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/sensor-wars-update.html

I don't think this (if it is what is rumoured) will compete with the GH5 much for that many.

I think it will complement it and maybe they want people to have a pair of Panasonic cameras instead of a GH5 and an A7sii/iii/iv.

I hope it IS a good low light camera but then if it is and uses a Sony 10mp sensor, I am salivating at what the coming low light FF Sony's will be (not that I can afford any of them these days).

If this is really a thing - which I think a lot of us have wondered before, why not do like Sony A7s and A7R? Low Light and More Pixels - I think a new and more powerful processor is indeed important since Tracking AF performed different when just outputting the signal through HDMI compared to tracking and recording in camera. Which means it was a bit of a bottle neck as it shouldn't have any difference in performance.

Canon might have Dual AF but so does Samsung, even Google used in the Pixel 2. I don't know if Google has a patent of their own, but I'm pretty sure Samsung's is not the same as Canon's, so it's possible for other companies to have similar tech, so it wouldn't surprise me - even more if people will HAVE to pay the extra - if either Sony/Panasonic developed something similar or they are indeed paying for it.

Low light was one of the topics people said the GH5 couldn't keep up with the competition, but video AF was something that even more people complained about. So I think it would make sense for them to try to step up their game, be if with the combination of PDAF and CDAF or something like Dual Pixel.

Its funny how the Panasonic guys always said the GH5 is "our" sensor. We come to find out when ChipWorks did a comprehensive breakdown of every chip on the GH5 mainboard,...that it was really a Sony EXMOR IMX272 image sensor after all! Sorry Panny, I love you and my GH5 too but you gotta admit that the GH5 is being helped by Sony, big time! Its likely that they will buy this Sony STARVIS IMX294 for this GH5-s. So the GH5-s will be softer but better in low light while the GH5 will have its 6k readout, 5k to 4k scaling engine and more 4k resolving power. They fit very nicely together....thank you Sony!!

The thing that blows my mind is that no amount of money can buy you a small dslr sized camera, with a flip out screen, that shoots at least 4k at 60fps, and also takes stills... has good autofocus. I don’t care how much it costs. I need a SMALL dslr sized photo/ video hybrid with RELIABLE AF. It’s a HUGE need in the marketplace because of the YouTube revolution. 

If the GH5s shoots 4k up to 60fps, and has reliable autofocus... I don’t care how much it costs, I NEED that tool for my job and there is literally not a single camera that fills that need right now. 

5 hours ago, JordanWright said:

Whats the minimum new features it would take to get you guys to upgrade from a GH5?

Much better low light. I m not going to sell my GH5 and loose money to buy a more expensive version for just 1 stop of usable ISO gain.

DR is already quite good on the GH5 for a M43 sensor. Of course if Pana comes with 12 bits, HDR and/or clean high frame rate that would be something to consider too but it's not the main factor for me. Finally, the price we'll be important too. Personally I don't believe in ground breaking AF feature.

But no matter what, if this rumor is true and Pana releases a new ground breaking version of the GH5 I'll would be very pissed. That would be such a dick move less than a year after the GH5 hit the store shelves. A camera like that doesn't show up in 6 months, manufacturers have long term road-map. Wait and see...

30 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

If this is real im selling every body I have and picking one of these up. Done and done. This is my dream camera 

If what is real? We have 0 spec lol. 

The fact that the sensor (a sensor for security cameras by the way, nobody said the GH5s will have that sensor) does 4K120p does not mean the camera will do 4K120p at all. 
We have seen many many times capable sensor with a different output because of processing power or heat management. 

So we have nothing on the GH5s appart that it will be more low light oriented. 

But yeah if it does 4K120p with good AF and good lowlight, I am too getting one. If not then Sony will have my money with the A7SIII cause I am sure it will have A9 AF and FF is a bonus.

"What the faster sensor DOES allow is faster video AF in contrast-detect mode!"

Thank god for this, if true. For the past week I've had an E-M1 mark II and a GH5 sitting in my bedroom, and as beautiful as the GH5's 400mbps footage is, I ended up going with the Olympus as I just couldn't accept the GH5's focusing, and this was with firmware 2.1. For stills it was ok (though still not as confident as the E-M1), but for video it was laughable, even just back-button-focusing before I started the shot took a good few seconds to slowly get to where it needed to be. Yes, I usually shoot MF, but I still think a $2k camera should have usable AF.

@wolf33d The Panasonic and Sony ecosystems are by far the most exciting to watch right now. I have hope that this will indeed be a GH5 low light variant that confirms at least some of these rumors. The way Panasonic has been putting out bodies right now is almost tactical. They seem to be targeting every rival companies flagship models i.e. the pana g9 vs the olynpus high end model cameras. This will no doubt spark a response from Sony with something epic but I have high hopes from Panasonic. When they drop a camera they cover all grounds and really pay attention to what the film making community wants as we all seen with the GH5 plus their major firmware update for it. M43 filmmakers wan't better low light and I have a feeling Panasonic will fill that void .

imagine the gh5s being like a mini varicam in dslr form factor :)