Panasonic seems to be announcing something "BIG" on December 15

seku

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, jonpais said:

A Rectilux alone runs around $1,000. PanLeica's new telephoto, $3,000. Sorry, anonim. 

I’m not too sure about that. I think if any of the big names really wanted to get into anamorphic they could do so for much less than these small lens manufacturers. Panasonic should make a line of anamorphic lenses to use with the GH5. It makes sense given the anamorphic modes of the GH5.

2 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

Yeah its probebly do-able for Panasonic

It might be doable, but I really think what we are going to see is something to do with the organic sensor tech. Panasonic has been working on this tech for more than 5 years and there has yet to be a product that has spawned from it. So this could be it. If it is, it could be a real game changer for DR and low-light. If early reports are true, we might well see clean imagery at 12,800 ISO. Who knows, perhaps even as high as 25k ISO. And I’m talking clean, not just “usable”.

First of all, not only do third-party manufacturers at times offer lenses that are not only better or equal to what the huge conglomerates sell, they often make lenses with unique parameters that the larger companies won't risk making. Panasonic and Olympus produce virtually the same lenses. The Veydras are extremely economical - what, $995 for a cine lens? - name one other company, big or small, willing to gamble on a complete set of bargain basement cinema primes for micro four thirds? Sigma continues to reap praise for lenses that often best the conglomerates at a much lower cost. SLR Magic, not known for being especially greedy, charges $18,700 for a set of 1.33x Anamorphot-CINE Lenses. A newcomer, Atlas, will be selling individual anamorphic lenses for $7,995 - 1/4 the cost most of its competitors. So, it goes without saying that the big camera companies are unable to justify passing along savings to the consumer to their bean counters, even when their lenses are produced in Thailand, Vietnam and China. Even the cost of vintage anamorphic lenses is prohibitive for most, which is why they are adapting projector lenses. A used anamorphic lens, taking lens and single-focus solution can easily run upwards of $1,500+. So anyone who thinks PL is going to be giving away anamorphic lenses is sorely mistaken. Unfailingly, PL lenses cost double, not half. 

About big announcing.. It seems that Neumann's already have touch with it, and already gave a clue. I'd not exclude possibility that even given name of their project has some connection with mysterious Big - it it some sort of the Middle Path, witch on second instance is further clarified - something  ***** ****  that is used to make A Short. So, it has to be a camera.

@Jon

Interestingly, I could quote SLR Magic Anamorphot cine line at quite contrary direction - we can see what is the newest arround-NewYear prize for their (SLRMagic's) 10mm and 25mm Hyperprimes at BHphoto: 40% less than "normal" - so they have a markup margin probably near 60%, maybe even near 70% of initial asking prize. Apply this simply calculation on new Anamorphot line - for the next Christmas it may be 8-9000$. So, I've don't bet that production cost of anamorphic lenses is THAT high: fact is that till now its market was reserved for studio works and rare demands put production on handmade level. But Panasonic change the panorama of potential users dramatically.

2 hours ago, anonim said:

But Panasonic change the panorama of potential users dramatically.

Yes, few customers with GH5 only are considering $7k and up lenses. So there is a market for reasonably priced anamorphics. For the record SLR Magic are not Leica quality. And further more neither are Veydra mini primes. I have them all, so I know first hand. Additionally, I am invited to demo the Atlas Orion series and hope to take them up on the offer sometime in the next few months. I will share what I learn. Near as I can tell, the Orion is the best bang for buck. The SLR Magic’s are ok for fooling around though.

Thank you DBounce for advice and will to test/share experience with Atlas lenses - but weren't we all started by being fooling around (but keeping some money in pocket) :) Previous discussion, of course, is not just about the best anamorphics.

I just had and have SLR Magic Hyperprimes and Voigtlanders, also and Leica R - don't know anything about anamorphic offer. I think that Neumann has a short film anounced here done with GH5 and SLR Magics. (BTW m43 Voigtlanders are Leica R quality - or, better, vice versa.)

3 hours ago, DBounce said:

Yes, few customers with GH5 only are considering $7k and up lenses.

That may be, but anyone purchasing lenses solely for their present camera body is seriously shortsighted. Filmmakers who shoot with crop sensor cameras frequently move up to cinema cameras (and vice versa!) ? 

And nobody’s claiming the Veydras have the same optical quality as some of the PanLeicas - but they’re plenty good enough, as I believe has been amply demonstrated - and we’re comparing apples to oranges here, since the Leicas aren’t cinema lenses, and can’t be used with Fuji X-mount, C-mount or Sony E-mount either, for that matter. 

Rather than dreaming the impossible, which is a set of PL anamorphics for under $1,000, I’ll keep my expectations low - such as a set of geared manual lenses suitable for video intstead of useless fly by wire.

I also look forward to hearing your impressions of the Orions.

Dec 15 is a Friday. It's such a curious time to announce anything. 

Some thoughts: 

1 - This was a last minute decision to announce this before end of the year. And logistically Friday, Dec 15 was the only time available to their Marketing team. 

2 - This is a non-consumer product so announcing it on Friday, while people are occupied with other things, etc. is not an issue for them. 

3 - The timing is designed to steal thunder of another competing product (to be announced) or perhaps against an existing product in the market and the goal is  to make some buyers put a pause on their purchasing decision before end of the year. 

3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Wonder is it a pre-strike against A7SIII which is still no where to be seen or heard

Nah, even the current GH5 I bet will be better than the future a7S mk3

GH5 will keep the edge of at least one of these over the future a7S: waveforms, full size HDMI, 4K 60fps, 10bit internal.

The very same here. I do not care much about low light capabilities ... with voigländer 0.95 you can work around a lot. also speedboosters.

But if, and that's a big IF... if it uses that new quad bayer HDR coding sensor layout ... i wouldn't be surprised to see 14 stops or more out of this baby. Lowlight has solutions... for run&gunning, i don't know anything but native sensor capabilities to maximise DR. (yes, i know i can stick a led panel on top of the cam).