Anyone with F3 and Video Assist? Need help setting it up.

redimp

and if using aces in Resolve, not sure what gamut Resolve is using for its slog idt either.  I assume sgamut but Depending which gamut you used when recording,  it may not be the proper transform.  Resolve also includes the aces rrt with the odt, so you are also getting aces interpretation of color as well.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

First of all I want to thank everyone for their help, you guys are amazing.

15 hours ago, BenEricson said:

What lenses are you using? They look beautiful.

Lomos OKS cine primes from 1970s with Iscorama 36 with Proxiscope rehousing (my own product, there should be a thread somewhere on this forum about it).

12 hours ago, sam said:

ead over to clip attributes and change from "auto" to "full"

YES! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Doing this de-logged the footage nicely, and the gamma looks like proper S-log now.

Now I only need to figure out what color space it's in. As it was pointed out earlier in this thread, s-gamut was not around when the F3 was released. Googling "Sony F3 color gamut" did not result in anything.

Does anyone have an idea what it might be? Rec709?

And to top it off, here's a snapshot of my current grading. https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcr93l0wq2o49o4/Screenshot 2018-03-15 17.35.52.png?dl=0

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate them. I was going for a moody feel here. Someone told me it's way to blue and I'm not sure now.

34 minutes ago, redimp said:

YES! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Doing this de-logged the footage nicely, and the gamma looks like proper S-log now.

Now I only need to figure out what color space it's in. As it was pointed out earlier in this thread, s-gamut was not around when the F3 was released. Googling "Sony F3 color gamut" did not result in anything.

And to top it off, here's a snapshot of my current grading. https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcr93l0wq2o49o4/Screenshot 2018-03-15 17.35.52.png?dl=0

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate them. I was going for a moody feel here. Someone told me it's way to blue and I'm not sure now.

Do you have any comment on the video clip I bothered to render from your clip above (without a de-squeeze)? It is not "too blue". Is this what you envisioned it should look like, or not? Your snapshot is colorless and too contrasty compared to what I get. I like what I got much better.

On 3/15/2018 at 11:37 AM, redimp said:

Lomos OKS cine primes from 1970s with Iscorama 36 with Proxiscope rehousing (my own product, there should be a thread somewhere on this forum about it).

It's definitely S-gamut. This is just with Color Space Transform and a little gain applied. Also love the look your getting here.

conform_1.5.1.thumb.jpg.c01bdaecfb5d818291d8bd506931d357.jpg

5ab2c673e4b1a_colorspace.thumb.jpeg.04c47c5259ac737dab172c1cb7dea460.jpeg

crawling in woods_1.5.2.jpg

On 3/21/2018 at 10:54 PM, Geoff CB said:

It's definitely S-gamut.

Thank you Geoff!

Someone in one of these topics mentioned that S-gamut was not around when F3 launched, and that it's Rec709. I have no slightest idea how to confirm this.

I think someone may have been confused about the addition of slog to the F3, which was not available in the F3 at its release. It was a paid option that came later.

7 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Untrue. Both the F35 and F3 use SLOG1 and SGAMUT. The results with Resolve's transforms bear that out. 

sgamut is not the only available in camera gamut.  the noticeable differences between the gamuts can be subtle.  add a cheap monitoring setup to the equation and...... maybe the OP could hire a colorist? 

On 3/27/2018 at 3:02 PM, sam said:

I think someone may have been confused about the addition of slog to the F3, which was not available in the F3 at its release. It was a paid option that came later.

sgamut is not the only available in camera gamut.  the noticeable differences between the gamuts can be subtle.  add a cheap monitoring setup to the equation and...... maybe the OP could hire a colorist? 

Do you know where I can set the gamut in camera on my F3? 

I could hire a colorist, because I don’t know how things work, or I cold try and understand how things work, and then make a sober decision. 

Not to say I didn’t reach ot to colorists. I did. Wanted to hire someone, but one of the candidates pointed out that my grade can actually look good, but on my screen exclusively. So he said that even if I hire him and he grades to taste, on my monitor and in my environment it will still look off, or different or even worse then what I currently have. So I’ve invested ina good monitor and decent calibration for now and am trying to understand the cam and it’s footage better.

wish I could be of more help, but if changing gamut is not entirely obvious, maybe the F3 is different.  on the F35 and other sony cinealta cams, just head to gamut in the menu.  

congrats on the fsi and video io.  I wish more of the image making community would take the time/money to get the most crucial part right.  I don't know how all the bloggers, YouTubers, forum members etc... can give advice about a cameras image vs anothers that's worth 2 cents.   their assessment is actually just an interpretation of their very @^$#*imaging pipeline.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...