“The Middle Path”: A Lumix GH5s Short

Neumann Films

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

David, my English pops up as foreign language so maybe non-native English may explain it? I guess under-X competitions bring that inaccuracy or misunderstanding?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_European_Under-21_Championship

Hey BTW perhaps other English speakers can join for a hand to someone always willing to improve and learn :-)

For Americans (and apparently British, Australians, and New Zealand..ers) "under X" does not include the X. The phrase we'd use in that case is "X and under." So: "12,800 ISO and under" would be the more "native" way of saying it.

@IronFilm How do you guys say the thing I couldn't say? :lol: I'm positive New Zealanders can't be right. Is it Middle-Earthers? Help me out here.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

You won't see many GH5s in productions like this. This is a showcase, made specifically to promote GH5s. Of course you don't need IBIS if you are using a gimbal and a dolly, but why would you use a GH5 on a shoot like this, where only the daily cost of renting the rig is much more expensive that the camera's price? Why on earth would anyone make a custom set with expensive lighting setups, cranes & remote controlled gimbals to shoot with an MFT camera which hardly delivers 12 stops of DR in a compressed format?

I mean...that's the truth of it though. A Chapman-Leonard dolly carrying a GH camera is honestly something I had never seen before.  We were asked to use a $40,000 lens and I had to laugh at that a little bit.  Like, isn't that sending the wrong message in this video.  "Hey, you thought that looked great, well we used this stuff to do it!"

Wouldn't you want to send the exact opposite message?  

I don't know, I'm not in Marketing but it just seemed weird.

I think they are reaching for the pro market, or make people think it's more of a cine camera than anything else since they suppressed the ibis.

And it's working. We're already thinking of using gh5s as C or D cameras on French TV series or even feature mixed with two Alexa.

It's just so cheap and the quality isn't too far off. When you're shooting 5 or 6 minutes a day, having 3 or 4 cameras can be a big plus. But renting additional Alexa can be a strain on a budget especially when you're not on Hollywood budget scale.

Having a rigged up gh5s (or gh5 but the 5s seems to have slightly more DR and it counts) lying around with a PL adapter can make a difference as it's easily gradable and just good enough if you need additional coverage. It can be said about a lot of hybrid cameras I know, but 10 bit added to low light is really impressive and that can not be ignored. 

1 hour ago, Neumann Films said:

I mean...that's the truth of it though. A Chapman-Leonard dolly carrying a GH camera is honestly something I had never seen before.  We were asked to use a $40,000 lens and I had to laugh at that a little bit.  Like, isn't that sending the wrong message in this video.  "Hey, you thought that looked great, well we used this stuff to do it!"

Wouldn't you want to send the exact opposite message?  

I don't know, I'm not in Marketing but it just seemed weird.

Luke, they want to firmly send a message these devices are at same level of those used by the big guys. It works.

I recall when I was in the €103.000,00 F900/F900R camp...

That's all!

(E :-)

34 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

I'm fully aware of the message it's trying to send but I don't think it's a realistic one.

Under motion picture industry perspective, no. The fact is you can mimic any one of the big guys there in much more than 50% of circumstances though. I guess this is where reality fits there. IMO I think they are going through the spot pretty well on that one.

2 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Under motion picture industry perspective, no. The fact is you can mimic any one of the big guys there in much more than 50% of circumstances though. I guess this is where reality fits there. IMO I think they are going pretty through the spot on that one.

Yes, I'm not arguing the merit of it at all. Just the fact that it was a weird choice, given that the majority of sales will still likely be people that don't use $40,000 lenses and Chapman-Leonard dollies.  

10 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Yes, I'm not arguing the merit of it at all. Just the fact that it was a weird choice, given that the majority of sales will still likely be people that don't use $40,000 lenses and Chapman-Leonard dollies.  

Reason why you're also right : ) I love to quote Nils Bohr for such cases:

'The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.'

As much as Coppola's choice towards GH2 is completely out of tune for many pros out there. Means digital has changed this medium. Deeper than people out of these boards tend to want to believe.

On 1/14/2018 at 2:03 AM, Dimitris Stasinos said:

You won't see many GH5s in productions like this. This is a showcase, made specifically to promote GH5s. Of course you don't need IBIS if you are using a gimbal and a dolly, but why would you use a GH5 on a shoot like this, where only the daily cost of renting the rig is much more expensive that the camera's price? Why on earth would anyone make a custom set with expensive lighting setups, cranes & remote controlled gimbals to shoot with an MFT camera which hardly delivers 12 stops of DR in a compressed format?

oh you might be surprised the variety of shoots out there! I have for instance done a short film which use a Canon Rebel DSLR on a panther dolly!

Here it is, from early last year (the last time I used my Tascam DR680!):

On 1/14/2018 at 5:26 AM, EthanAlexander said:

@IronFilm How do you guys say the thing I couldn't say? :lol: I'm positive New Zealanders can't be right. Is it Middle-Earthers? Help me out here.

"New Zealanders" is completely right. 
Or in a more casual way "kiwis" is also ok too. 

I need to correct you in how to refer to people from Australia however, you say "convicts". Or alternatively "sheep shaggers" also works.

On 1/14/2018 at 3:42 AM, Emanuel said:

David, my English pops up as foreign language so maybe non-native English may explain it? I guess under-X competitions bring that inaccuracy or misunderstanding?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_European_Under-21_Championship

Hey BTW perhaps other English speakers can join for a hand to someone always willing to improve and learn :-)

The meaning of "under" can be a little flexible, but generally speaking it means excluding the stated number.

For instance if a person is six feet tall then it doesn't make sense to say he is "under six foot", as he is not *under* that height! Not at all, he is right at it. 

Of course he would say that. He also says he'd use the top of the ISO range without much hesitation. He's still one of the most prominent spokepersons on behalf of Panasonic. Now... he's always been very real with us, that much is true. But they've also rather been hush hush about weaknesses and more about what others don't that they actually do, that's just healthy company policy. Atleast he knows he can't deny C-AF still has a bit of a way to go. :sweat_smile:

It's a very subtle but important improvement though. Kai dismissed seeing it by shooting an outdoor scene with somewhat of a grey cloudy day with little contrast in it. Well... that's not really much to go on. But from other stuff I've seen it does seem to look more into the shadow areas and you don't just get a solid white sky anymore when it clips, it gradually smoothens out and of course still clips if not protected well enough. DR is no excuse to get sloppy, now. Of course now at the higher ISOs it keeps much better DR and color accuracy as well as better noise control and such. Is it 16 stops? Of which 14 usable? Well... probably not. Is it 10-11 stops? Well, how about we just call it 12-13 then? :tounge: Think that would still make a lot of us happy.

Maybe Tom Antos will do one of them tests again.

• 1 month later...