“The Middle Path”: A Lumix GH5s Short

Neumann Films

21 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

ISO 3200 is not a native ISO, therefore you are losing DR. 400 and 2500 are native ISO's and only by using those values are you getting the max DR.

There is absolutely improved highlight rolloff, if you don't see that you don't know the GH5 very well ?

I will look forward to seeing side-by-side tests at native ISO's 400 and 2500.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

I won't be doing any such tests but I'm sure someone will.  You don't need to take anyone's word for it though, plenty of footage out there using the native ISO values.

Yes, plenty of footage with native ISO values, but not side-by-side under harsh lighting conditions. It's the only way that you can potentially see the differences in dynamic range and highlight roll-off. If its not side-by-side, the results are subjective.

Please understand Luke, no disrespect to your fine work. If anyone can get the best out of these cameras it is YOU.

My hope is the GH5s will bridge the gap between the GH5 and the EVA-1. I'm just not convinced yet that it is offering much else other than excellent low-light performance w/o IBIS. I was hoping for a least one stop better dynamic range and so far I am seeing maybe 1/2 stop at best over the GH5. It's definitely not 2 stops better.

18 minutes ago, ajay said:

Yes, plenty of footage with native ISO values, but not side-by-side under harsh lighting conditions. It's the only way that you can potentially see the differences in dynamic range and highlight roll-off. If its not side-by-side, the results are subjective.

Please understand Luke, no disrespect to your fine work. If anyone can get the best out of these cameras it is YOU.

My hope is the GH5s will bridge the gap between the GH5 and the EVA-1. I'm just not convinced yet that it is offering much else other than excellent low-light performance w/o IBIS. I was hoping for a least one stop better dynamic range and so far I am seeing maybe 1/2 stop at best over the GH5. It's definitely not 2 stops better.

Thank you and I appreciate that, also understand that I'm not put up to anything I say, this is my impression.  I didn't see two stops either, the only thing I noticed was a more pleasing rolloff.  Probably comes out to 1/2 stop but for me it's in the right spot.  I don't need much more, I just want that smooth rolloff...I got that in this footage but not really ever with the GH5.  

2 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

Thank you and I appreciate that, also understand that I'm not put up to anything I say, this is my impression.  I didn't see two stops either, the only thing I noticed was a more pleasing rolloff.  Probably comes out to 1/2 stop but for me it's in the right spot.  I don't need much more, I just want that smooth rolloff...I got that in this footage but not really ever with the GH5.  

Plus, you have the same roll off at 2500ISO. And your footage proves that. Your graded version shows especially awesome color at that ISO! One can shoot this little beast like it was a C300MK1 in 4K and 10bit.

3 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

In producing "The Middle Path" did you change any of the defaults such as highlights/shadows or knee adjustments? V-Log L?

@apekkpul, Thanks for posting. I repost this in the other GH5s. Maybe some of our scientifically approaching members could chim in as well, @maxotics , @Sage:)

Edit: @Neumann Films, Luke, are these guys from mystery box the same ones, who graded your film? I mean, on my SD monitor your grade looked awesome and high end, while the official grade just looked nothing special compared to yours.

2 hours ago, Sage said:

GH5-Alexa Conversion.

Perfect rolloff, tailored to GH5 sensor clipping

Ahhh, nice didn't know that.  Very good though, thats one thing I didn't like about the GH5.

VLogL at default setting and all other settings at default.  Didn't have a ton of time to mess with the camera before filming.

35 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Luke, are these guys from mystery box the same ones, who graded your film? I mean, on my SD monitor your grade looked awesome and high end, while the official grade just looked nothing special compared to yours.

Thank you for the kind words.  Yeah, I think Mystery Box did the grades for each of the videos.

I haven't watched the video all the way through yet, I imagine it looks different on an HDR display.

Seems to contradict what others have stated (and I'm in no position to contribute) but this is a Samuel Bilodeau (Mystery Box) reply on that blog page:

After throwing up the footage we shot on our scopes, we're measuring the dynamic range captured by V-Log L at around 16 stops - after converting to HDR10 (PQ Curve) our brightness distribution runs between 0.01 nits on the low and 1015 nits on the high clip, for a contrast ratio of 10,150:1, or 16.63 stops. The lower 3-4 stops retained are increasingly noisy, but the detail is there. 14 stops are fully useable under nearly all circumstances, according to what we're seeing.

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

@apekkpul, Thanks for posting. I repost this in the other GH5s. Maybe some of our scientifically approaching members could chim in as well, @maxotics , @Sage:)

Edit: @Neumann Films, Luke, are these guys from mystery box the same ones, who graded your film? I mean, on my SD monitor your grade looked awesome and high end, while the official grade just looked nothing special compared to yours.

That seems possible; with cleaner shadow stops on the bottom curve, when made more accessible via linear placement. Some high flown estimates for GH5 cited 14 stops, generously counting the noisy range. V-Log L is intended to 'roll off' those bottom stops, making them less immediately accessible.

On 10/01/2018 at 10:37 AM, IronFilm said:

Could you link to it. As the GH4/GH5 isn't dropping frames for TC... as well it doesn't support a TC input! Ha

I didn't save the video, and I was unable to find it through a (5 min) Google or Youtube search.

It wasn't about TC. It was that the frames and audio were starting off from a different point. The video was a few frames ahead or behind. 

Anyway, if I find it, I will post it. 

2 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I didn't save the video, and I was unable to find it through a (5 min) Google or Youtube search.

It wasn't about TC. It was that the frames and audio were starting off from a different point. The video was a few frames ahead or behind. 

Anyway, if I find it, I will post it. 

That was back at the GH5 release date and the NLE people hadn't got their act into gear. Was fixed after a couple of weeks.