“The Middle Path”: A Lumix GH5s Short

Neumann Films

6 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Well if it is always 9 frames that would be pretty easy to code around.

They likely didn't do extensive testing. 
I bet it varies, depending on how long it has powered down for. (this has been my experience with TC on many many many other cameras)
But if it is a consistent 9 frames, then a firmware update will indeed be the easiest thing in the world for them to bring out ASAP :-) 

12 minutes ago, jonpais said:

but I want to see how it compares to the GH5s at ISO 400, 800. 

Why do you want ISO 400,800? Isn't ISO 100,000 enough? ;-) hehe

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

@IronFilm According to extrashot, when using TC, every time the camera goes to sleep, you lose 9 frames. Which kind of makes this camera worthless for synching up a mulit-cam shoot. Unless Panasonic issues a firmware update. Or do you think it's still worthwhile?

source

Frame drops was an issue that Dave Dugdale said was happening with the GH5 too (or was it the GH4?). I clearly remember him saying that there was an issue with syncing due to this. The solution was pretty simple, which was a re-sync it, to check where the video started from.

I saw this too yestersay. Their video was quite good. 9 frames exactly may be easy to handle, I am guessing. With a firmware. 

3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@IronFilm I would be seriously be shocked if there were even more than one serious response to my question. 

I have my fingers crossed we'll get an answer eventually on TC!

The second my local store has a demo GH5S I am going over and asking if I may do a video for my vlog in their store of the TC feature! Then we will know. 

7 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Frame drops was an issue that Dave Dugdale said was happening with the GH5 too (or was it the GH4?). I clearly remember him saying that there was an issue with syncing due to this. The solution was pretty simple, which was a re-sync it, to check where the video started from.

Could you link to it. As the GH4/GH5 isn't dropping frames for TC... as well it doesn't support a TC input! Ha

Might have been video frames it was dropping, but that is very odd, we'd have heard about that! (just remember all the cries of anguish when people experienced it with the BMPCC etc...)

Of course all of the excitement over the camera is contingent on it performing well photographically.  I'm encouraged by the skintones we've seen in the few clips so far.  Panasonic have always gotten that right so far on the GH series (albeit using more conventional sensor technology), so I think that's the reason you're seeing it taken for granted a little for now. 

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

@IronFilm I would be seriously shocked if there were even more than one serious response [..]

You mean, like...

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

I shoot people. That's all I've ever shot, all I ever will shoot. [..]

I'll be informing the authorities about this! :grimace:

1 hour ago, Vesku said:

I dont see any DR improvement in iso3200. Maybe GH5s highlights are graded away?

Seems they went for dual ISO instead of implementing real time HDR with dual exposure. This was really a major point of the Starvist sensor.., if that’s what it uses.

So far, I am not convinced there is any DR improvement with the GH5s compared to the GH5. Yes, there are some very talented filmmakers that know how to use these cameras to their fullest potential, but I'm just not seeing any differences when the two cameras are filmed side-by-side: