“The Middle Path”: A Lumix GH5s Short

Neumann Films

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Sage so I realize you'll need the GH5s before you can comment, but I am going to be interested to see how your conversion will work with GH5s footage. I plan on getting your conversion for my GH5 in the nearish future. 

So I was busy all day and have only peeked in here and there, so I haven't heard all the nitty gritty. Is it safe to say no ETC on the S? 

Also, any guesses as to whether or not the .64 speed boosters will work on the S (or the .71 for that matter).

Had to send the camera back a few days ago but will likely get a production unit soon.  Same thing happened with the GH5.

Ha, @Jonesy Jones that confusion was a mistake on my part. I think I did one to fit a UHD window, one where I scaled up horizontal resolution and one where I scaled down vertical.  All shots were with the same resolution though, I think it's like 3328x2160 or something?  I can't remember

28 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Had to send the camera back a few days ago but will likely get a production unit soon.  Same thing happened with the GH5.

Ha, @Jonesy Jones that confusion was a mistake on my part. I think I did one to fit a UHD window, one where I scaled up horizontal resolution and one where I scaled down vertical.  All shots were with the same resolution though, I think it's like 3328x2160 or something?  I can't remember

3328 x 2496p?

1 hour ago, Jonesy Jones said:

@Sage so I realize you'll need the GH5s before you can comment, but I am going to be interested to see how your conversion will work with GH5s footage. I plan on getting your conversion for my GH5 in the nearish future. 

I will need to custom support the GH5S; I am working on something that will make this a practical reality, as well as enable a new precision standard.

From this weekend:

code.thumb.JPG.4e2bc3c5bd479a8d6219b8b6457cc688.JPG 

2 minutes ago, Sage said:

I will need to do a conversion specifically for the GH5s; I am working on something that will make this a practical reality, as well as enable a new precision standard.

From this weekend:

code.thumb.JPG.4e2bc3c5bd479a8d6219b8b6457cc688.JPG 

I would seriously love to learn what all that means. But alas, I'm 40, married, 5 kids, working hard, and when possible working on production. 

Has anyone been able to see a comparison between the GH5 vs GH5s that verifies better dynamic range? Highlight rolloff? I've seen comparisons between the two side-by-side, but nothing convincing that it is better with the GH5s. Of course, it depends on a lot of factors including lighting conditions, color depth used and if they used V-log, etc.

Some people at Panny are claiming better dynamic range but so far, no real confirmation via a legitimate test. Has anyone seen anything of substance? Seems like everyone is focused on low-light tests.

7 hours ago, jonpais said:

Sean Robinson is saying they conservatively estimate a 1-1/2 stop increase in low light performance over the GH5.

6 hours ago, Emanuel said:

That is, add a f/1.2 aperture coupled to any proper adapter and you'll basically have an equivalent low light performance similar to the most setups over there:

i guess the point might be more addressed to AF range @ low light as for instance. Or as Luke said, the camera sensor behavior on highlights roll off. More than anything else. Probably a better cinema camera by then. 

Just my 2 cents though (E :-)

That requires to be corrected... Actually, three stops and a half as far as it is possible to find out here:

16 minutes ago, buggz said:

Is "6K" anamorphic still available?

I will guess, still no HDMI signal is outputted during 6K anamorphic recording?

Surely not once you have no higher resolution for... That's a GH5 extra.

We all need to accept the whole thing from it. They are two different cameras. As someone already said it tonight: that's an alternative, far from being a replacement; hence the "s" tag instead.

11 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

C'mon Glenn, almost everyone of us could have the right to the same from Luke ;-)

That’s true and it would only be wasted on me... I’d be the only person in the world that would shoot all-i 1080p in CineLikeD and then complain it doesn’t look like my ML footage... ?

12 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Surely not once you have no resolution for...

We all need to accept the whole thing from it. They are two different cameras. As someone already said it tonight: that's an alternative, far from being a replacement; hence the "s" tag instead.

Good point, they shouldn’t have named it GH5 at all... they are definitely two different cameras. I almost think the GH5s should be cheaper.

4 minutes ago, mercer said:

That’s true and it would only be wasted on me... I’d be the only person in the world that would shoot all-i 1080p in CineLikeD and then complain it doesn’t look like my ML footage... ?

I could bet you may have found now your next * low * rezzed love anyway... ;-)

1 minute ago, mercer said:

@Emanuel nah I’m still going strong with my 5D3, but if I had more money that Terra 4K looks pretty damn nice. And I really enjoyed Bloom’s EVA1 footage. But who am I kidding, if I had that kind of money, I would still choose the C200 over the rest. 

LOL You're going perfectly fine with your GH series unit. To update the tool won't add a trade-in value to the skills of the user; only to take advantage from there. On the edge :-)