“The Middle Path”: A Lumix GH5s Short

Neumann Films

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's all just dependant on your need, isn't it?  I've been crying out for a couple of stops more useable ISO from this range.  I would have happily paid £1000 if it came as some kind of paid firmware update.  It is the only thing preventing the GH5 from being the perfect production tool for my needs.

So this ISO boost is a hallelujah moment for me personally.  Losing IBIS does take a bit of the gloss off, but it's still looking like a dream package for what i require. 

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Production cinema cameras don't have IBIS either.

Yes, but the GH5 or GH5s aren’t production cinema cameras... they’re consumer LUMIX cameras.

6 minutes ago, EthanAlexander said:

No IBIS but plenty of BS ?

Guess they got tired of Canon getting all the "seriously?" faces

Too much microwave testing occurring over at Panasonic R&D. 

15 minutes ago, seku said:

I just read the techreport.com webcached article , and i see no mention of IBIS or lack of it.

43rumors mention it in their latest post, but that image looks weird to me... nothing like Panasonic would show (zoom in on the GH5s in that picture, it got Dummy written all over it).

Is there some information I'm missing?

Yeah, that graphic has a funky mixture of fonts, fontsize, going all bold and red and nuts with weird layout and adventureous grid.

Full VLOG instead of VLOG L, please! Now Panasonic heard me, just on time:)

3 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

I stick by my early comments...options are good.  Not everyone needs or wants the same things, if you have a gimbal IBIS isn't as big of a deal, to RED/ARRI/BMC users its a non issue. To Panasonic users it is.  If it's a deal breaker that makes your decision easier.

That sounds like no IBIS:bawling:

5 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

I stick by my early comments...options are good.  Not everyone needs or wants the same things, if you have a gimbal IBIS isn't as big of a deal, to RED/ARRI/BMC users its a non issue. To Panasonic users it is.  If it's a deal breaker that makes your decision easier.

The only reason I'm sad about the omission is that for ever step forward Panasonic takes, it puts more pressure on Sony and Canon, and they'd be forced to make something even more incredible if this had IBIS.

I have zero plans to move to the panasonic ecosystem, I just like competition.

7 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Clean low-light is a bigger deal to me. I can get stabilized images from many devices including smartphones. It's pretty easy to come by. And the GH5 and the G9 have that. Clean low-light is more elusive. 

1 hour ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

- I even already mocked about the heat issue, and it really could exist. But (as least in my mind, that could easlily be wrong) to scan a 20mp sensor in 60fps probably would generate more heat in the sensor than a 10mp one? Not ot even mention the processing to downsample a 20mp sensor to 4k in real time - in theory, the 10mp sensor probably will have a 1:1 scan, hence less work in the chipset for the encoding.

There are two halves to where this heat is coming from:

Sensor heat

Processor heat

Yeah processing power is likely less? But they're using a totally different sensor, totally different design, and it seems perhaps it gives off a lot more heat than other Panasonic designs. 

- The elephant in the room is that the A7SIII will probably have IBIS, and 4kp60 too. For a not too much bigger price - and if Sony puts the A9 autofocus system and tweaks their color science (the A7RIII clips already looks better in color terms, I think), a lot of people could wait.

Panasonic GH5 will remain a *lot* cheaper than the a7Smk3, and likely will still kick its butt! Being more slickly implemented, and with better features such as waveforms and 10bit internal. 

1 minute ago, EthanAlexander said:

The only reason I'm sad about the omission is that for ever step forward Panasonic takes, it puts more pressure on Sony and Canon, and they'd be forced to make something even more incredible if this had IBIS.

1 minute ago, EthanAlexander said:

I honesty feel that the limitation that caused it to be removed is heat. Keep in mind that the sensor is capturing two exposures for HDR. This is something no other sensor is doing. And I am certain that these heat issues will keep this sensor out of the Sony Alpha line of cameras. They are already plagued with overheating issues. And if it does find its way into the A7Siii, it will likely be crippled in some way... and to a higher degree (:grin:) than the larger GH5s.

5 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

There are two halves to where this heat is coming from:

Sensor heat

Processor heat

Yeah processing power is likely less? But they're using a totally different sensor, totally different design, and it seems perhaps it gives off a lot more heat than other Panasonic designs. 

Panasonic would also have to rearrange or even put a completely different IBIS in the camera due to new sensor layout and its slight oversize due to multi aspectratios

6 minutes ago, DBounce said:

And if it does find its way into the A7Siii, it will likely be crippled in some way...

Personally, I don't really care about mirrorless - I was more thinking for the FS5II and FS7III.

But, literally the only thing that the A7SIII needs to do is add 4K60 and 10 bit. If they can't figure out the heat on that they should just quit lol

1 hour ago, Mmmbeats said:

The problem with the GH5 is not setting timecode, but jamming or syncing to other devices.  This is actually a serious problem specifically because it is such a good potential B-cam.

And the only work around for DSLRs/mirrorless until now has been Tentacle Syncs with Aux TC, but that is quite non-standard and awkward for many people. Awesome when everyone is on board with it though! But if we can avoid this, then good news all round then. 

Just want to say that this topic is marked as HOT in the front page.

I guess that it corroborates future Panasonic's claims about heat dissipation with this camera. :)  No IBIS for this topic.

I noticed that too, haven't seen a "hot" topic on EOSHD in a while. 

Anyone know when was the last time? Was it when the GH5 was released? lol