“The Middle Path”: A Lumix GH5s Short

Neumann Films

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I find it strange that people would be getting firm info about the sensor. This is info that panny would want to keep under wraps even after the launch ordinarily, and not the sort of thing that distributers, etc. would be briefed on.

Also - is this camera being launched by the consumer department or the pro department?

20 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

I find it strange that people would be getting firm info about the sensor. This is info that panny would want to keep under wraps even after the launch ordinarily, and not the sort of thing that distributers, etc. would be briefed on.

Apparently the distributors (who are likely getting stock as we speak, so they can sell it immediately) got briefed about this a couple of days ago. 

21 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

Also - is this camera being launched by the consumer department or the pro department?

Consumer department. 

17 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Apparently the distributors (who are likely getting stock as we speak, so they can sell it immediately) got briefed about this a couple of days ago. 

Consumer department. 

What I mean is detailed sensor manufacturing info. That wouldn't ordinarily come with the distributor brief. It's the kind of info that had to be worked out by hackers for the GH5.

14 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

What I mean is detailed sensor manufacturing info. That wouldn't ordinarily come with the distributor brief. It's the kind of info that had to be worked out by hackers for the GH5.

Just guessing based on what sensors are available. If guess A is correct then guess B has to be C. Or something like that. lol

Everything I’ve heard about the GH5S sounds great, but this no IBIS talk is worrying. 

I don’t always have it switched on, depending on the feel I’m going for, but it’s such a massively useful feature that I couldn’t imagine being without it now. 

Panasonic have made a big deal out of the Dual IS too, it would seem strange not to include it. It would be such a Canon thing to do. 

A few pages back, there’s a picture of Luke being filmed by Griffon Hammond, while he looks to be shooting a scene handheld with an anamorphic lens. He might just be holding it, however it gave me the impression of IBIS shooting. 

Maybe there will be a surprise or two. 

IBIS? No IBIS? What do you bet on? 

11 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

IBIS? No IBIS? What do you bet on? 

Just 7 hours to go. My bet would be has it. 

Incidentally, it's holding the sensor with something similar to magnetic levitation all the time so when you "turn it off" it's still on, just holding the sensor still with respect to the camera instead of still with respect to the planet. 

1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

Just 7 hours to go. My bet would be has it. 

Incidentally, it's holding the sensor with something similar to magnetic levitation all the time so when you "turn it off" it's still on, just holding the sensor still with respect to the camera instead of still with respect to the planet. 

http://www.techradar.com/news/the-lumix-gh5s-is-panasonics-most-video-focused-camera-yet

No mention of IBIS on this “ahead of schedule” report....

17 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

http://www.techradar.com/news/the-lumix-gh5s-is-panasonics-most-video-focused-camera-yet

That TechRadar article may be a stub article. It's basically premature. This is why:

"This has allowed Panasonic to improve on the maximum ISO of 25,600 on the GH5, with an ISO ceiling of 51,200 in the GH5S."

28 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

They changed the link. The link now goes to the GH5 page. I did see the page before it got taken down however and still have it up on my phone. No mention of IS. Here's a few things gleamed from the page:

• 4k Cinema at 60/50p
  • Internal 4:2:2 10-bit
  • V-LOG preinstalled
  • Complies with 4k HDR with Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) mode in photo style.
  • Bundled BNC terminal, built-in time code generator
  • Focus in lower light level -5EV compared to -4EV on GH5
  • Max ISO 51,200
  • 10.2 MP sensor
  • Dual Native ISO
  • GH5s available from end of January (To order or purchase?)
  • $2,499

No mention of IS.

Just now, jonpais said:

in what way, shape or form is the GH5 not a pro camera? c’mon - 10-bit 4:2:2, 4K 60p, dual card slots, wave form monitor, HLG. 

The consumer/pro distinction to a Corporation like Panasonic is more about marketing and sales reach than the strength of it's features.  For a camera to sell in the consumer space it has to appeal to the (fairly wealthy) enthusiast hobbyist, who likes to have the best gear for his/her travel shoots, etc.  but isn't a pro.  That market is numerically much much bigger than the pro market.  Pro stuff has a much narrower appeal, but the buyer is willing to pay more because they are using it to service their income.

I'm seeing a camera that, unlike the GH5 and the G9 is not designed much to appeal to Joe in his converted garage space who likes to keep up with tech, but to the same kind of people who would buy the EVA-1, or a Varicam.

really? Then the a7r  is for prosumers, the a7s for real pros? sorry, I must be missing something here. Your average consumer has no need for dual card slots, wave form monitor, vector scope, anamorphic, HLG, five pages (!) in the playback menu, 10-bit 4:2:2,  400Mbps ALL-Intra, full HDMI either. Zacuto, Atomos and countless other pro-oriented manufacturers, either in collaboration with Panasonic or on their own, produce gear specifically for the GH* series. And at trade shows, we regularly see exhibitors pairing their gear with flagship Panasonic mirrorless cameras, most recently in my recollection, Atlas showed off their $7,000 Orion 65mm T2 mounted on a GH*.

I am NOT sure why Panasonic didn't Include IBIS. I hope there is a good reason (sensor MP count and multi-aspect 4k crop factor) for it.

Otherwise they have Crippled a Superb camera for the GH5, for NO JUSTIFIABLE REASON.

Why would GH5 owners be Upset, Unless they are stupid. The GH5 has DOUBLE the Photo Resolution of the GH5s. That ALONE is reason not to fret or dispair.