“The Middle Path”: A Lumix GH5s Short

Neumann Films

47 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Dave, those videos are great man! Really great work before even considering the turnaround.

I really have no desire to do a feature, and it doesn't have anything to do with funding or anything like that. I would just honestly rather do other stuff with my time.  That will likely change after 6 months of music and pursuing other things...that's usually what happens.  I just need time away to rebuild creative juices.

@jonpais

Cooking/food has always been an intriguing art form. I like the idea of the work/creative output resulting in something tangible, for a change.

My daughter was born 2 years ago, and although “time” is certainly strained, she’s been a massive inspiration for me to push harder on my work but also save time for her. 

In my line of work - I’m the DP, the camera operator, the editor, the writer, the colorist, the marketer, the development manager, the finance manager, the almost everything. This amount of responsibility does starve my creativity and sometimes takes it over completely.

At the moment, I’m doing more “freelance” type work to reduce the strain of these responsibilities on my own business, so I can re-focus some passion into the more personal creative stuff. 

The GH5 has been a great device for this strategy so far. Sold off a camera system I wanted for years to use it. 

Looking forward to the GH5S, but these Rumors of no IBIS are concerning. Should we be concerned? ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
51 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Dave, those videos are great man! Really great work before even considering the turnaround.

I really have no desire to do a feature, and it doesn't have anything to do with funding or anything like that. I would just honestly rather do other stuff with my time.  That will likely change after 6 months of music and pursuing other things...that's usually what happens.  I just need time away to rebuild creative juices.

@jonpais

Cooking/food has always been an intriguing art form. I like the idea of the work/creative output resulting in something tangible, for a change.

Feeding your crew good food is a good idea too. :) 

Now that I've finally assembled a tiny crew myself, the thing that irks me most is sometimes having to wait days before they're available for another shoot. And even on days we're shooting - right now I'm strictly filming in the evening - not only is it painful having to wait the entire day to begin, but they've got to leave by 8PM. Another thing that worries me is that I'm enjoying shooting at night so much, I'm afraid I'll never want to go back to filming during the day! 

5 hours ago, Thpriest said:

Ok! Thanks for the info! Another wee question, the MacBook Pro, which year is it from? I guess you use proxies? I'm thinking about getting a MacBook for SDEs but I want the bare minimum outlay as I usually use my iMac (for my GH5 4k 50p and 4k 10bit stuff, so kinda on topic!).

I use the 2016 MacBook Pro 13” without touchbar as my workhorse and it’s great! 

No proxies!

Based on the rumored specs, it appears it could be the Sony Starvis IMX294 sensor. I've been mulling over the specs on this sensor this afternoon and it states that it can do 4k UHD and cinema at 60fps 12 bit and cinema 4k at 120fps 10 bit. I haven't seen any rumored spec that has 4k @ 120fps however.

The sensor also has HDR modes including cinema 4k @ 60fps and 3704 x 2778 (4:3) @ 60fps, both 10-bit.

This also could be a great camera for astrophography/videography too.

IF it is this chip, it will be interesting how Panasonic will use this sensor.

Curious.

12 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

I know nothing about sensor development.  Are there any other chips that match (or are close to) the rumoured resolution, that are *not* the Starvis monster* ?

*If that's not the name of a Dr Who baddie yet, it ought to be.

I don't know of any other M43 chips that fit that size that has been touted and since we already know the GH5 uses a Sony sensor, it seems logical unless the Daleks are behind all of this.

Starvis for the restofus!

7 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Looking forward to the GH5S, but these Rumors of no IBIS are concerning. Should we be concerned? ;)

11 hours into the 8th here in NZ. Re-engineering is a very complicated process on a camera. If they can simply replace a sensor and main chip and leave everything else the same, like the internal heat dissipation associated with the IBIS then they would. So my bet is the ibis is the GH5 ibis still.  

10 minutes ago, cantsin said:

RAW doesn't have color science.

Yes sorry, I misspoke... there is no color science per se but the RGB filters on the sensor will affect the overall color of a Raw image. Take the same exact image shot with a Pocket cam with the same exact image from an ML Raw camera and with the same exact post workflow, the colors will look different.

2 hours ago, cantsin said:

RAW doesn't have color science.

Actually yes there is some degree of how it is handled before you get "raw".

1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

11 hours into the 8th here in NZ

It is now the afternoon for goodness sake!

3 hours ago, ajay said:

Based on the rumored specs, it appears it could be the Sony Starvis IMX294 sensor. I've been mulling over the specs on this sensor this afternoon and it states that it can do 4k UHD and cinema at 60fps 12 bit and cinema 4k at 120fps 10 bit. I haven't seen any rumored spec that has 4k @ 120fps however.

The sensor also has HDR modes including cinema 4k @ 60fps and 3704 x 2778 (4:3) @ 60fps, both 10-bit.

This also could be a great camera for astrophography/videography too.

IF it is this chip, it will be interesting how Panasonic will use this sensor.

Curious.

It isn't unusual for a company not to take full advantage of all of the chip's capabilities.

As there are other constraints: heat, size, time, money, processor power, write speed, etc

1 hour ago, mercer said:

but the RGB filters on the sensor will affect the overall color of a Raw image. Take the same exact image shot with a Pocket cam with the same exact image from an ML Raw camera and with the same exact post workflow, the colors will look different.

Exactly.

From a reliable source on M43 Rumors:

"The GH5S will make use of a new, multi aspect ratio sensor and subsequently lose the IBIS system. It would seem to be confirmed that it will be using Sony’s IMX294CJK sensor.
This is one of the biggest changes to come from the new variant. Designed to work in higher budget production’s alongside the EVA1, even using the EVA1’s dual native ISO system (800 & 2500)."

1 hour ago, ajay said:

"The GH5S will make use of a new, multi aspect ratio sensor and subsequently lose the IBIS system. It would seem to be confirmed that it will be using Sony’s IMX294CJK sensor.
This is one of the biggest changes to come from the new variant. Designed to work in higher budget production’s alongside the EVA1, even using the EVA1’s dual native ISO system (800 & 2500)."

Hmm, damn interesting. WE are going backwards which I think is sort of a good idea.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

One step back, two steps forward!

Can't do all that stepping without ibis, just stay put on a tripod. No reason to take ibis off though so should be fine. 

Everyone asleep or something? It's 6pm on the 8th and everything is quiet. 

TOO quiet! Dun dun dunnn! 

18 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

No reason to take ibis off though so should be fine. 

There's one reason: to double the battery life. IBIS is a massive power hog. 

It's kind of ironic that the ultra low light performer (if that's what this camera is) that one would therefore think of as a 'run and gun' camera, may not have IBIS, and the one that's going to be relegated to controlled lighting situations for those with access to this one will have it.

4 hours ago, ajay said:

More like ISO 4000 and ISO 12800. Though I wonder if dual gain is something that may work with this sensor. I wonder who makes the sensors for the Varicam and EVA.

Also, why would Higher Budget Productions require a more sensitive camera? The dual ISO is there on the Varicam possibly because good low light along with fast lenses has a different look (ala Barry Lyndon), than traditionally setting it up to make to look like this.

Similarly on the EVA it is there because the EVA is for ENG and lower budget productions (as compared to the Varicam).

Also, losing the IBIS may not be a great idea, if its true.

I guess we'll know all the details in a few hours. 

49 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Everyone asleep or something? It's 6pm on the 8th and everything is quiet. 

It is sunset even. 

Maybe by announcing this during our night of the 8th they are telling us the camera will have AMAZING LOWLIGHT?

23 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Also, why would Higher Budget Productions require a more sensitive camera? The dual ISO is there on the Varicam possibly because good low light along with fast lenses has a different look (ala Barry Lyndon), than traditionally setting it up to make to look like this.

Better lowlight even helps "big" budget productions. They can shoot faster with less. 
I've seen this first hand with a Varicam LT shoot. 

Here, watch William Wages ASC talk about how it is a game changer with lighting for him:

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

It is sunset even. 

Maybe by announcing this during our night of the 8th they are telling us the camera will have AMAZING LOWLIGHT?

Better lowlight even helps "big" budget productions. They can shoot faster with less. 
I've seen this first hand with a Varicam LT shoot. 

Here, watch William Wages ASC talk about how it is a game changer with lighting for him:

Oh ok. Interesting.