“The Middle Path”: A Lumix GH5s Short

Neumann Films

36 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Thank you @Orangenz!

I started with music long before video so it is easier for me. Video has always been tough, I can do it and I have invested time into it but definitely not something I am head over heels for.  Something about not realizing creative ideas for 3-12 months that doesn't sit well with my ADD. 

Anyone else ever feel that way?  Its great and it's a fulfilling art form but damn is it tedious to see a creative idea from conception to completion. In my experiences, music is infinitely more fluid.

That's why I have totally shifted gears from pursuing directing and am a full time Youtuber now. Making videos that have a daily turnaround time is really fun for me 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I can see photography being very rewarding in that way.

What is vitro meat?  I mean, I could Google it but I would rather hear your explanation.

Yeah, crew members kind of get the best aspects of video...production!  That said, a crew member isn't having to see the whole thing through.

Dave, I agree.  I shat on Vlogs as an art form but they really are creatively liberating.  Basically as instantly gratifying as music.  The most I want to do is stuff like that or short little creative vignettes that co-feature music and visuals.

@Neumann Films... what?! You’re probably one or two indie features away from a Hollywood deal. With the publicity you have from the GH5 fans alone you could Kickstart a feature and have a built in audience to watch it.

Hell you could probably get Panasonic to fund it if you use whatever their next big camera release is, after the GH5s, to shoot it with. 

16 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

I can see photography being very rewarding in that way.

What is vitro meat?  I mean, I could Google it but I would rather hear your explanation.

Yeah, crew members kind of get the best aspects of video...production!  That said, a crew member isn't having to see the whole thing through.

Dave, I agree.  I shat on Vlogs as an art form but they really are creatively liberating.  Basically as instantly gratifying as music.  The most I want to do is stuff like that or short little creative vignettes that co-feature music and visuals.

That's awesome! Id love to see your daily type of content. 

I started doing corporate same day edits last year and really loved it. The adrenaline rush from it is insane. You get that instant gratification and when they show the film at the end of the event with hundreds of people watching it on a big screen...it just doesn't get much more fulfilling than that. The last three shots of the STORY video were shot like 20 minutes before the people in the audience watched it. I heard people gasping in the crowd from it. You guys should try this type of thing. You can charge a ton of money for it and its really fulfilling.

I really enjoy each stage from conception through production to editing.  But yes, sometimes I wish the process could be more fluid and spontaneous.  I'm especially interested in putting together some small, nifty productions that are viable, but don't need a cumbersome crew and production package.  That would be awesome to work on, but probably a tricky formula to get right!

Those made-in-a-day corporate screeners are a great idea.  Hard work I'll bet, but very good value for the organisers.  I'm just not sure I have access to clients who would pay me enough to produce this kind of thing, that would make the sweat and stress worth my while!

eta:  The thought of waiting for Media Encoder to render out the final edit while the event grinds down to a halt is making my skin crawl! :grimace:

1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

Another one. Shot all on GH5 with the MoVI M5. I did this one all by myself. Really exhausting three days. 

Great work. I have a question, I guess you film each presentation completely because otherwise how do you get the sound and image of the quotes. The thing is, if you are on your own, how on earth do you find the time to save the footage on the computer, find the best bits, edit and export??? I presume that you also use at least 2 cameras.

* I note that this was a 3 day job  but the other was all in one day.

2 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

Thank you @Orangenz!

I started with music long before video so it is easier for me. Video has always been tough, I can do it and I have invested time into it but definitely not something I am head over heels for.  Something about not realizing creative ideas for 3-12 months that doesn't sit well with my ADD. 

Anyone else ever feel that way?  Its great and it's a fulfilling art form but damn is it tedious to see a creative idea from conception to completion. In my experiences, music is infinitely more fluid.

Definitely.  I’m not sure how old you are, but i can identify with where you are.  - I’m the opposite now though, haha.  I was a composer/guitarist most of my life.  - All i ever wanted to do secretly was make movies though.  So now I’m finally getting serious about it.  Music is a lot easier with kids for sure.  - Until they’re old enough to pull on your arm while you’re trying to mix, haha.  

43 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Great work. I have a question, I guess you film each presentation completely because otherwise how do you get the sound and image of the quotes. The thing is, if you are on your own, how on earth do you find the time to save the footage on the computer, find the best bits, edit and export??? I presume that you also use at least 2 cameras.

* I note that this was a 3 day job  but the other was all in one day.

Yes I forgot to mention that I received the ProRes recordings from the IMAG cameras that were operated full time during the conference. Usually at conferences like this you can get a feed from the camera operators and also get a nice board feed for audio. To be honest...I just imported it all and quickly tried to find any good nuggets. I stayed up all night prepping the edit and it was a three day shoot but the bulk of the edit happened on the last day of the conference. 

Shot 90% of it in 4k at 60fps on GH5...used FCPX on my base model 13" MacBook Pro and it was great. Didn't have any issues with computer being slow. 

29 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

Yes I forgot to mention that I received the ProRes recordings from the IMAG cameras that were operated full time during the conference. Usually at conferences like this you can get a feed from the camera operators and also get a nice board feed for audio. To be honest...I just imported it all and quickly tried to find any good nuggets. I stayed up all night prepping the edit and it was a three day shoot but the bulk of the edit happened on the last day of the conference. 

Shot 90% of it in 4k at 60fps on GH5...used FCPX on my base model 13" MacBook Pro and it was great. Didn't have any issues with computer being slow. 

Ok! Thanks for the info! Another wee question, the MacBook Pro, which year is it from? I guess you use proxies? I'm thinking about getting a MacBook for SDEs but I want the bare minimum outlay as I usually use my iMac (for my GH5 4k 50p and 4k 10bit stuff, so kinda on topic!).

So here's my quick prediction (just based on the same bits and pieces as everyone else).

Low resolution sensor (but not the super low-light starvis thingy).

An improvement in low-light over the GH5 of around 2 stops.

A sensor dedicated Log profile (V-log or variant, but not shackled like V-log-L)

No IBIS

No ND

Some additional exposure tools (perhaps false colour)

Personally, I'd be happy enough with that.  They would have my money.

1 minute ago, Mmmbeats said:

So here's my quick prediction (just based on the same bits and pieces as everyone else).

Low resolution sensor (but not the super low-light starvis thingy).

An improvement in low-light over the GH5 of around 2 stops.

A sensor dedicated Log profile (V-log or variant, but not shackled like V-log-L)

No IBIS

No ND

Some additional exposure tools (perhaps false colour)

Personally, I'd be happy enough with that.  They would have my money.

If they keep IBIS then yes.

1 minute ago, Thpriest said:

If they keep IBIS then yes.

One thing that everybody seems to have forgotten about, is that when the original announcement of the GH5 was made they kept IBIS off the list, and kept everybody guessing right up to the launch proper.  It was a successful bit of marketing as it gave the model a big buzz lift at launch.  If they are ambiguous about IBIS on announcement there is still a chance it might be there on launch.  Personally I think it won't be a feature, which would of course be a great shame. 

3 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Ohh true. The most fun I've had is when you hand it off after shooting. The editing side is where I can get bogged down :p

Indeed. I came to accept a while ago that quite simply I should stay far away from post production! (although going to try and make an exception with sound post now)
It is just better for everyone that way. As I can't churn through post work like others can. 

3 hours ago, mercer said:

@Neumann Films... what?! You’re probably one or two indie features away from a Hollywood deal. With the publicity you have from the GH5 fans alone you could Kickstart a feature and have a built in audience to watch it.

Yeah if you feel like doing a $50K or perhaps $100K-ish plus indie feature film (it is a small budget! But doable), then I'd feel quite optimistic about your chances crowdfunding that level of funding. As you've got an extensive track record going back years, and with the GH5/GH5s you've been getting even more attention lately. And it has got you the connections. 

I know @andy lee did a feature film a year and a half ago with SIX Panasonic G7 bodies!! :-o (I think he might have got a helping hand from Panasonic UK, perhaps being lent a few extra spare bodies? Dunno)

1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

Yes I forgot to mention that I received the ProRes recordings from the IMAG cameras that were operated full time during the conference.

Ah thought a few of those shots had a tad bit more grain to them than I'd expect from you with a GH5, that explains it! Those shots were not from a GH5.

If the new camera does not have IBIS, I will be greatly disappointed. It's definitely one of their strengths. Although a gimbal makes stabilization even more incredible with the GH5, I find myself not using one for most shots and just using the GH5's internal stabilization.

Dave, those videos are great man! Really great work before even considering the turnaround.

I really have no desire to do a feature, and it doesn't have anything to do with funding or anything like that. I would just honestly rather do other stuff with my time.  That will likely change after 6 months of music and pursuing other things...that's usually what happens.  I just need time away to rebuild creative juices.

@jonpais

Cooking/food has always been an intriguing art form. I like the idea of the work/creative output resulting in something tangible, for a change.