“The Middle Path”: A Lumix GH5s Short

Neumann Films

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

What makes you guys think this is ISO 12,800? I looked at the Instagram page, I don't see the ISO mentioned anywhere. And the image is too small to make any judgements about the quality. Am I missing something? I'm not trying to dismiss the camera, just the assumptions kinda puzzle me. I don't even think it's a 12 megapixel camera. 

Check Neumann's video above (Instagram, where he mentions 12800 ISO). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Thanks, @Mmmbeats. First time using Instagram. :) Is there also a way to view the image in full res?

Instagram embedding greatly reduces resolution and file size. Watch this on a smartphone in Landscape mode and pinch to zoom to see it in more clearly.

I don't know if you could download it. 

14 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

This video proves that GH5 "S" is not only a low light camera, but a lowlight sea MONSTER. It also works underwater, as the scene gives us obvious clues to this feature.

Also the use of boats suggest that it will be shipping soon. 

You need to change your username to "Sherlock Holmes"!

16 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

This video proves that GH5 "S" is not only a low light camera, but a lowlight sea MONSTER. It also works underwater, as the scene gives us obvious clues to this feature.

Also the use of boats suggest that it will be shipping soon. 

I'm not so sure. In nautical terms a large inlet bay like the one shown is called a 'sound'. Sound is a synonym for noise. I think he's trying to tell us that the noise he observed on the full resolution footage was unacceptable, but that the Instagram compression and resolution would hide that fact. Any opinions?

This is how I imagine Panasonic's consumer department has been conversing:

Enlightened Panny consumer bod: This GH4 is great - but it's a video-centric camera, and it's only real weakness is low-light situations.  Let's fix that for the GH5.

Panny corporation:  Sounds good,  How do we do that?

Enlightened Panny:  Well, we lower the pixel count and...

Cautious Panny consumer bod:  Woah, hold on there!  Yes, the GH series is video-centric, but this is still a consumer unit.  We absolutely need to appeal to stills buyers as well, and they want to see more not less megapixels.

Corporation:  Hmmm... tough one!  Well I can't give you both what you want.  Or can I?  How about we split the range - a hybrid camera for the masses, a stills oriented version, and a super video oriented version.

Panny Professional division bod:  Woah, hold on there!  I couldn't help overhearing.  Just how super video orientated are we talking here?  I don't know if any of you read our memos at all?  You know - about the EVA - the big super charged video camera we're going to be launching right after your launch window!  You sure you're not gonna be cannibalising our sales?

Corporation:  Hmmm... I see where you're coming from.  Okay - let's stagger the whole thing.  We do the GH5 as normal, and the stills version; then we give the EVA a bit of room to breathe; and then we do the video version after that.  Might have to delay a bit so as not to piss off the GH5 purchasers too much.  Agreed?

All:  Agreed! 

1 minute ago, Mmmbeats said:

Enlightened Panny consumer bod: This GH4 is great - but it's a video-centric camera, and it's only real weakness is low-light situations.  Let's fix that for the GH5.

Panny corporation:  Sounds good,  How do we do that?

Enlightened Panny:  Well, we lower the pixel count and...

Cautious Panny consumer bod:  Woah, hold on there!  Yes, the GH series is video-centric, but this is still a consumer unit.  We absolutely need to appeal to stills buyers as well, and they want to see more not less megapixels.

Corporation:  Hmmm... tough one!  Well I can't give you both what you want.  Or can I?  How about we split the range - a hybrid camera for the masses, a stills oriented version, and a super video oriented version.

Panny Professional division bod:  Woah, hold on there!  I couldn't help overhearing.  Just how super video orientated are we talking here?  I don't know if any of you read our memos at all?  You know - about the EVA - the big super charged video camera we're going to be launching right after your launch window!  You sure you're not gonna be cannibalising our sales?

Corporation:  Hmmm... I see where you're coming from.  Okay - let's stagger the whole thing.  We do the GH5 as normal, and the stills version; then we give the EVA a bit of room to breathe; and then we do the video version after that.  Might have to delay a bit so as not to piss off the GH5 purchasers too much.  Agreed?

Or maybe was just "Sony is selling, let's copy them'. :)

But I think it is a good move.

2 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

I'm not so sure. In nautical terms a large inlet bay like the one shown is called a 'sound'. Sound is a synonym for noise. I think he's trying to tell us that the noise he observed on the full resolution footage was unacceptable, but that the Instagram compression and resolution would hide that fact. Any opinions?

You must be Watson?

2 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Edit: good move to make the GH5s. Not so much to make the GH5 - the G9 pretty much covers the "hybrid" role, in my point of view. 

But what we don't know are exact sales numbers, which those in the industry do know. We're at a time where all the hybrids released in the last couple years are very capable cameras - you really can't buy a bad camera from anyone. And the market has been in a freefall since the peak of 2010 - though it seem to be flattening out as mirrorless grows - for now.  So now manufacturers are chasing niche's like slower bodies that shoot high MP, speed and video. Panasonic has been all over the map lately, outside of the GH line, the naming and categories each camera fills seem to change with each model. Olympus is #1 in mirrorless, the Em1.2 seems to be very popular, the g9 is competing with it on the speed side, something the GH5 doesn't do. The GH5 is still a better camera for video shooters. Nice to have choices.

The GH5s makes a lot of sense - people have been asking for a video camera in a stills body for years. I prefer the camera for factor to a larger video body, and I'm sure many others do as well. I believe Canon would do very well with a c1/2/300 in a the 6d2 body, but like Sony with the gimped a7s, they're so protective of the cinema cams it'll never happen. 

Hopefully the GH5s is a huge success and other follow. The biggest complaints with the GH's seem to be AF and noise at higher ISO's. I don't shoot m43 and I'm certainly interested if its cleaner at higher ISO's. AF is a wash since Panasonic is stuck in DFD mode, but like the a7s it'll probably be better in low light.

5 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

Or maybe he is saying it going to have amazing sound! ;-)

With easy to access audio controls, TA3F inputs with P48, TC I/O, and analogue limiters all built in. 

3 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

<<snip>>

Not the craziest theory I've read!

2 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

But what we don't know are exact sales numbers, which those in the industry do know. We're at a time where all the hybrids released in the last couple years are very capable cameras - you really can't buy a bad camera from anyone. And the market has been in a freefall since the peak of 2010 - though it seem to be flattening out as mirrorless grows - for now.  So now manufacturers are chasing niche's like slower bodies that shoot high MP, speed and video. Panasonic has been all over the map lately, outside of the GH line, the naming and categories each camera fills seem to change with each model. Olympus is #1 in mirrorless, the Em1.2 seems to be very popular, the g9 is competing with it on the speed side, something the GH5 doesn't do. The GH5 is still a better camera for video shooters. Nice to have choices.

The GH5s makes a lot of sense - people have been asking for a video camera in a stills body for years. I prefer the camera for factor to a larger video body, and I'm sure many others do as well. I believe Canon would do very well with a c1/2/300 in a the 6d2 body, but like Sony with the gimped a7s, they're so protective of the cinema cams it'll never happen. 

Hopefully the GH5s is a huge success and other follow. The biggest complaints with the GH's seem to be AF and noise at higher ISO's. I don't shoot m43 and I'm certainly interested if its cleaner at higher ISO's. AF is a wash since Panasonic is stuck in DFD mode, but like the a7s it'll probably be better in low light.

In fact, I'm interested in this camera for stills too - for concert photography, having ISO 6400 and 12800 ISO clean shots is a must (since you generally have to use shutter speeds above 1/360). And 10mp, for web use (or even a magazine cover) is enough.

23 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

In fact, I'm interested in this camera for stills too - for concert photography, having ISO 6400 and 12800 ISO clean shots is a must (since you generally have to use shutter speeds above 1/360). And 10mp, for web use (or even a magazine cover) is enough.

Rumoured to have 14-bit RAW for stills, too.