“The Middle Path”: A Lumix GH5s Short

Neumann Films

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Is h.265 any faster to process now than it was a few years ago? When I had the NX500, it would take forever to transcode the footage to ProRes in EditReady. Converting ML Raw from MLV to CDNG to ProRes is a faster process than transferring h.265 to ProRes was.

Also, OT question, but is there a 1080p anamorphic mode in the GH5?

51 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Not necessarily. 

From what I have seen there is little difference between 4K 24p 10bit 150 inter vs 400 intra. At 60p the difference will be even smaller. 

He explains it better than I can. I agree,  think I would go with the inter.

https://wolfcrow.com/blog/intra-frame-vs-inter-frame-compression/

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Is h.265 any faster to process now than it was a few years ago? When I had the NX500, it would take forever to transcode the footage to ProRes in EditReady. Converting ML Raw from MLV to CDNG to ProRes is a faster process than transferring h.265 to ProRes was.

Also, OT question, but is there a 1080p anamorphic mode in the GH5?

Newer chipsets are much more efficient processing HEVC, yes. Even the difference between Sky Lake and Kaby Lake is substantial since Kaby Lake supports full hardware acceleration rather than software/GPU combo.

43rumors.com seem to be blowing up right now with discussions of an ISO 10,2400 limit apparently on the GH5s. Even if it were only usable upto ISO12800, that would be pretty huge. Also, apparently discussions on improvement in dynamic range too.

15th December is here and I guess we just have to watch the official announcements. 

In regard to the colours, I was talking about the orange skin. Panasonic has improved them a lot the past years, and I wonder if there has been any further improvements. For my personal needs I'm pretty happy now. Buyers of Andrew Reids pro colour would appreciate better standard out of camera colours, I think.

I noticed Neumann's post is dated November 22nd. I guess it may be too quick to churn out a short film with a robot and a story in it, so quickly. Unless it's like a crazy 48hour short film competition or something.

January 15th-31st seems more like the date for the release and subsequent product launch.  

I'm pretty excited to see what this new GH5 model has to offer. I'm happy with the GH5 and see the prospective GH5 "S" very intriguing. 

My favourite modes are the 1080p 200m All-I in 25p and 50p. The quality is exceptional for "lowly" 1080p, haha. 

Been shooting a traditional Christmas video this week, all in V-Log 1080p 50p All-I....

kid 1.png

3 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

4.jpg

Thanks Luke! This looks great! Thinking if it's not the EVA S35 sensor that's the "big" thing, then it may very well be much improved SNR for cleaner, noise-free images with a greater range of ISO.  Also DR seems to be pretty spectacular in all of the images you shared with us. Perhaps this is due to not a larger sensor, but maybe larger pixels due to an overall lower pixel count.  Please keep the teasers coming - not asking you to reveal anything (don't want any trouble for you and your Panasonic NDA), just rather a few more frame grabs and BTS shots until official launch would sweet. Sure there are others here too who would like to see more.

On another note, congratulations on the new family member :) And totally get it if you spend less time here and more time with family as that will always be more important than teasing us with frame grabs lol.

• 2 weeks later...