“The Middle Path”: A Lumix GH5s Short

Neumann Films

1 minute ago, Don Kotlos said:

@Neumann Films

You didn't even need to give us the anamorphic ratio since we can use the vertical angle of view.. In any case the horizontal field of view is ~35 degrees. 

So it is a m4/3 sensor

WEckDkb.thumb.jpg.08b41a7f43190184fe6fa18b1cbe90f7.jpg

To be honest, I was expecting 65mm at the least. In 16 bit RAW, and it can fry eggs. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, stephen said:

Let me try my math and logic. :grin:  Size of the image is 3840x1400 and if this is was shot on a 2x  anamorphic lens then 3840 / 2 = 1920. Original frame was 1920x1400 witch is basically 4/3 ratio. So correct me if am wrong but it looks like a m43 sensor.

No. I'm almost certain it was shot in ALL-I 3328 x 2496, which with 2x anamorphic is 6648 x 2496. Download this image and see. 3840x1440 is just Luke experimenting with UHD.

And inside the file name there are two words beside many meaningless symbols: CrazyGrade. This looks like a hint. On which footage you can do crazy grades and have such good colors as end result ? RAW or something like 10/12bit 4:4:4 ? Just speculating  :grin:

10 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

No. I'm almost certain it was shot in ALL-I 3328 x 2496, which with 2x anamorphic is 6648 x 2496. Download this image and see. 3840x1400 is just Luke experimenting with UHD.

Different resolution same 4/3 ratio :grin:

I had some calculation fun, with @Don Kotlos's excellent male head height figures...

Taking into account @Neumann Films picture of the crazy color graded guy from chin to upper forehead ... while knowing that it was filmed 30" away

This is what some easy calculations came up with (don't worry bout feet or meter, i just used inches in the calculation): 

2017-12-11 21_26_50-Calculator to Find or Calculate Distance or Size of an Object in an Image - Fire.png

Link to the Calculator

Which ... if our guy has an average head ... then this was filmed on a Micro 4/3 sensor, cropped to 16:9 :grimace:

Even if our guy has a BIG BIIIIG head (99th percentile), and even slightly cropped, he barely makes it into open gate 4/3 territory :

5a2ef31a3cd2d_BIIIGHEAD.png.eddb8de374812097cc1ae18e1fa1ddaa.png

So i would really rule out any sensor larger than that.... S35 seems completely improbable.

Just in case, the calculation for S35 in 16:9 cropped to 4:3(best case scenario) with largest head :

5a2ef3fd36f44_s35bighead.png.f4d21270a2c6b5f55dafa4c58e708562.png

Even with Mr. Bighead, we are getting further away from the 30" @Neumann Films mentioned.

I'll stick with the 4/3 rumor :grimace:

48 minutes ago, seku said:

Which ... if this is all true... then this was filmed on a Micro 4/3 sensor, cropped to 16:9 :grimace:

Even if our guy has a BIG BIIIIG head (99th percentile), and even slightly cropped, he barely makes it into open gate 4/3 territory :

The discrepancy most probably comes from the fact that the calculator gives you the distance from the edge of the lens whereas the distances on the lens itself are measured from the sensor. And that was a long lens :) 

In my calculations in the previous page from the horizontal field of view , again I see the same thing -> m4/3 sensor. 

on the other hand: shoulder - the white rolloff is very nice, no clipping. Could it be something as simple as a new log mode? 

Unless we're talking about literal shoulders: I noticed some darkening around the white shoulders, which on the nikon at least is indicative of using active d-lighting.  But seeing as no one has mentioned that, and someone hit the nail on the head, that can't be it. 

2017-12-12_091515.jpg

2017-12-12_091454.jpg

I did some math, too.

30"~75cm, man's head ~25cm.

vertical angle of view (as it's not affected by anamorphics) =2*arctan((25/2)/75)=2*arctan(0.1(6))~=2*9.5=19 degrees

According to several online fov calculators it is about full height of 4/3 sensor for 35mm lens, a bit shorter maybe. All APS-C/S35 flavours are 25+ degrees.

Edit: ah, easier, there is relation between lengths:

head/distance=sensor_height/focal_length -> sensor_height=head*focal_length/distance=25*3.5/75~=1,2cm=12mm