“The Middle Path”: A Lumix GH5s Short

Neumann Films

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So you’re saying the new GH5 will shoot in ProRes... lol. 

I’m starting to think that the new GH5 will be called the GH5+. It will use the same sensor with a few changes to the body as noted, but the big changes are firmware related.

I also think the GH5+ will sell at a higher price point and receive a few bells and whistles more but any current GH5 owners will have access to the FW upgrades via a paid update.

31 minutes ago, mercer said:

So you’re saying the new GH5 will shoot in ProRes... lol. 

I’m starting to think that the new GH5 will be called the GH5+. It will use the same sensor with a few changes to the body as noted, but the big changes are firmware related.

I also think the GH5+ will sell at a higher price point and receive a few bells and whistles more but any current GH5 owners will have access to the FW upgrades via a paid update.

Im leaning towards this also

51 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

I'm not a fan of DNG.  Huge messy files that Adobe software STILL cannot handle properly.  Give me ProRes or something like what is in the GH5 and I'm happy. 

I know, Adobe's support is shite..

For me DNG is about flexibility. I either use Resolve to do a quick white balance and output 12bit DNxHD or get Raw4Pro out of the tool shed and make CineformRaw then quick adjustments in Firstlight metadata before CC but I don't blame anybody who prefers to keep things a bit quicker.

26 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

Im leaning towards this also

Yeah the timing of this is too odd to be a completely new camera without an upgrade path for current GH5 owners... especially if the rumored price of $2499 is accurate.

A new camera that beats the GH5 for only $500 more, this soon after release, is something Sony would do, and get blasted for doing so.

16 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah the timing of this is too odd to be a completely new camera without an upgrade path for current GH5 owners... especially if the rumored price of $2499 is accurate.

A new camera that beats the GH5 for only $500 more, this soon after release, is something Sony would do, and get blasted for doing so.

I can’t believe this hasn’t been mentioned anywhere yet, but the exact same thing happened with the GH4. 

Panasonic announced a GH4R which came with V Log L and a “video centric” firmware update - however your original GH4 could be one an “R” version if you purchased V-Log L and updated the firmware. 

So here we are again, only this time, the “S” version has red bits on it - to fit the branding of the GH9, DVX-200 and EVA-1. 

My guess is it’s both a new camera and firmware, like they did with the GH4R. Current GH5 owners pay up to $500 to get the extra features, but no red bits. ;) 

I’ll take a really crazy guess for some fun on “what” it is. I’m gonna go for some type of RAW recording. The RAW boosts the lowlight and dynamic range. RAW doesn’t require a new sensor, and would really put the GH5 onto another level.

Is this why Luke uploaded a tiff? Haha, probs not, but fun to speculate. 

D2D262AB-7F1D-4FAB-92AB-2321CFF4114C.png

Hmm... I will say that his skin texture doesn’t look like regular GH5 footage...

Hmm...

However, I don’t think it’s Raw... I think Panny’s cinema division would burst a blood vessel if they did that...

So, I think that maybe it will be ProRes. Perhaps Apple and Panny came to a deal since the 400mbps was making FCPX run slow? Was that an issue?

Haha, maybe Panasonic is following Canon’s lead and they’re releasing a high bitrate mjpeg codec in the GH5+. They do have a big history using motion jpeg.

Whatever it is, it does look nice.

14 minutes ago, mercer said:

Hmm... I will say that his skin texture doesn’t look like regular GH5 footage...

Hmm...

However, I don’t think it’s Raw... I think Panny’s cinema division would burst a blood vessel if they did that...

So, I think that maybe it will be ProRes. Perhaps Apple and Panny came to a deal since the 400mbps was making FCPX run slow? Was that an issue?

Yes. This is what I have been saying. There is, I think, something else to this footage other than an Arri lens. 

8 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

What else do you notice about it, what jumps out?

To me the skin and detail look stunning. 

The DOF is also razor thin.

10 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

What else do you notice about it, what jumps out?

Something with the whites? You have two pure whites but they’re showing up as different tones? Is it some kind of 3D exposure... background and foreground exposure is the logical conclusion... ?

But I assume you mixed tungsten and daylight?

1 minute ago, mercer said:

Okay, so then the GH5+ will have the same sensor but have Dual ISO to get better lowlight.

Wait. How did you get that from Luke's image? It was a well lit scene. Most of the images he's shared were from well exposed settings. Even the night shots weren't shots that require an ultra lowlight camera. 

Because Luke said it was “daylight all around,” so since the white on the t-shirt and the white on the wall are different tones, but evenly exposed, I am guessing the subject is lit from a couple different windows and the new camera/firmware will have some sort of Dual ISO...

@Jonesy Jones

Just a guess on a boring Sunday afternoon...

I could be off base but I think the white on white was a deliberate choice for a specific reason. 

4 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

Maybe its just a GH5R (not S) with Raw through HDMI and Dual ISO... It still doesn't compete with the EVA-1 because of no internal NDs and its DSLR style body?

That’s true but I remember hearing murmurings that Panny’s cinema division was a little annoyed with the consumer division because they felt they were scavenging their tech.