“The Middle Path”: A Lumix GH5s Short

Neumann Films

34 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Don't forget about the highlight roll off man...in my opinion it's more valuable than the low light.  Although at T4-5.6 that will be big for you as well.

Exactly, that extra dynamic range being put into the highlight roll off is what gives the Arri Alexas their famous magic mojo

29 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

Kai at CVP is claiming no increase in DR - however it wasn't a great test he did 

Well Kai is an entertainer/presenter, not a real hard core camera nerdy geek!

And he is focused on stills, not cinema. So always take an inch pinch of salt any time he talks about a non-stills subject matter. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

From what I understand the omission of IBIS was necessary for the inclusion of Dual ISO

I wonder what exactly is the technical conflict between those two which means they can't be included together at once? 

And will they be in the future, is this a hurdle that can be overcome on a future camera?

50 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Lol, if I do I won't outsource grading.

Luke, people are out of likes for today. They have been throwing around with it today because of the GH5Ss´ launch day today! So maybe come back a bit later :)

Awesome footage despite not being graded by you. Congratulations!

6 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I wonder what exactly is the technical conflict between those two which means they can't be included together at once? 

And will they be in the future, is this a hurdle that can be overcome on a future camera?

I think it's the juice needed to give each photosite 2x native ISOs

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Sean Robinson is saying they conservatively estimate a 1-1/2 stop increase in low light performance over the GH5.

That is, add a f/1.2 aperture coupled to any proper adapter and you'll basically have an equivalent low light performance similar to the most setups over there:

i guess the point might be more addressed to AF range @ low light as for instance. Or as Luke said, the camera sensor behavior on highlights roll off. More than anything else. Probably a better cinema camera by then. 

Just my 2 cents though (E :-)

Really enjoyed your short @Neumann Films, loved the robot and the retro style intro. 

A lot of the shots certainly demonstrated improved highlight roll off and the “motion cadence” felt a little more film like. Maybe it was the aesthetic through that lens you were using. The glass does have some effect to the look of motion, I feel. 

I’m with you on the grading, especially the shots with the scientist guy. 

Onto the camera itself - many of us are annoyed st the lack of IBIS, but Panasonic have created a mini cinema machine that costs very little. Amazing really.

Will I get it? I’m not sure, I don’t think I need it. I would miss IBIS hugely, and it is definitely a sticking point to lose one of the GH5’s defining features. 

2 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Will I get it? I’m not sure, I don’t think I need it. I would miss IBIS hugely, and it is definitely a sticking point to lose one of the GH5’s defining features.

Why not have both? For $4300 you can have 2 cameras, each with a different set of strengths. 

@Neumann Films, what is the top anamorphic resolution for this camera. That part of it was really throwing me off with the screen grabs you posted. Does this new cam match the anamorphic res of the GH5?