“The Middle Path”: A Lumix GH5s Short

Neumann Films

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Mmmbeats said:

You GH5 owners are gonna have to paint that button red or hang your heads in shame.  I'm sure someone will make a decal kit with the red ring also. :grin:

Nah am happy with my GH5 plenty of potentials and future with it specially with new oly glass i bought oh baby!  

I don’t know, it seems like they should have called it EVA-1 instead of GH5s. 

No IBIS is a bummer for me, so even if it had Raw or ProRes, I have no interest in it.

But again, just to be clear, I’m sure it will be an awesome camera capable of amazing images. 

About the IBIS:

- I even already mocked about the heat issue, and it really could exist. But (as least in my mind, that could easlily be wrong) to scan a 20mp sensor in 60fps probably would generate more heat in the sensor than a 10mp one? Not ot even mention the processing to downsample a 20mp sensor to 4k in real time - in theory, the 10mp sensor probably will have a 1:1 scan, hence less work in the chipset for the encoding.

- The elephant in the room is that the A7SIII will probably have IBIS, and 4kp60 too. For a not too much bigger price - and if Sony puts the A9 autofocus system and tweaks their color science (the A7RIII clips already looks better in color terms, I think), a lot of people could wait.

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Wrote up a blog post sharing my thoughts about the Panasonic GH5S, and my excitement about it being the first stills camera with true timecode capabilities:

http://ironfilm.co.nz/leaked-the-specs-of-the-panasonic-gh5s-finally-we-get-the-first-stills-camera-with-timecode-i-o/

GH5 doesn´t have TC? Edit: Got it now:) Cheers

Just now, mercer said:

No IBIS is a bummer for me, so even if it had Raw or ProRes, I have no interest in it.

But again, just to be clear, I’m sure it will be an awesome camera capable of amazing images. 

That might have made it a bit easy to confuse with the, erm... EVA-1. 

21 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

3 hours :)

Really looking forward to your thoughts Luke. Have you put together a summary of your findings and opinion? I really am looking forward to what you have to say. Thanks for being here!

17 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah, before the GH5 was even announced I was already hoping they'd make a stills focused GH5 and then a cinema range one called VC5 (VariCam5). I guess instead they released the hybrid GH5, then the stills GH5: G9 and now the GH5S. Bit weird. But ok.

17 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

[..]

- The elephant in the room is that the A7SIII will probably have IBIS, and 4kp60 too. For a not too much bigger price - and if Sony puts the A9 autofocus system and tweaks their color science (the A7RIII clips already looks better in color terms, I think), a lot of people could wait.

True. True. (Just personally I don't care for fullframe or getting into another ecosystem (lenses)).

9 minutes ago, EthanAlexander said:

High bitrate 10bit h.264 is practically the same as ProRes

http://brightland.com/w/h-264-vs-prores-equivalent-quality-with-3x-smaller-files/

Yeah but you need a lot more computing power to work with them. With ProRes files, my cheap Mac cuts right through them. 

Storage is cheap.

Hell the 1080p ProRes Jon was recording from his G85 to the BMVA looks as good as any 4K I’ve seen from the GH5.

I transcode to virtually lossless ProRes before editing my 400Mbps ALL-Intra clips. It's no big deal. The footage looks awesome. But yeah, even on my maxed-out 2017 27" iMac, it'll drop frames if I try to edit the native GH5 files (after adding a camera LUT anyhow).

So what's the headline feature here? According to @IronFilm, it's TC. For me, it's the new sensor. And since I use lights, being able to shoot at ISO 3200 and beyond is a nothing burger to me. If however, skin tones and noise are significantly better than they already are with the GH5 at ISO 400-800, that might sway me.