Z Camera E1 for $200

Don Kotlos

47 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

You have the jittery shits in the last two videos. I am old, my vertigo is bad enough without you helping to add to it LoL. I know it was cold there but...

But I must admit the footage and colors are nice other than that. Good buy on your part. I really like the field of view the 8mm offers. Interesting.

Yes,  the lens is not stabilized, the camera is so light, and the wind really makes it difficult to hold steady.

I also really like the 8mm FOV.

I am expecting to use the lens mainly on a gimbal, so future videos will be less harmful!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, markr041 said:

Yes,  the lens is not stabilized, the camera is so light, and the wind really makes it difficult to hold steady.

I also really like the 8mm FOV.

I am expecting to use the lens mainly on a gimbal, so future videos will be less harmful!

LoL, my potential hip breakage thanks you. :grin:

In all this chat there were two elephants in the room - one was the ability to take a chance on what seemed to be a bargain price for an unusual product until it had been proved beyond all reasonable doubt that no risk was to be taken. (Normal human behaviour - no risk taken until everyone has one - a sort of circular catch-22 equation that makes every innnovative new product hard to get off the ground).

Presumably B&H sold out the excess stock whilst the interested crowd of onlookers was fumbling around.

Second elephant is the source of spare batteries.  This camera seems to have a special oem battery pack and there is no obvious second source for batteries. Two batteries come with camera but dead battery = “no digital camera”.

Battery limited toys only last as long as you can power them up.

1 hour ago, Caerwall said:

In all this chat there were two elephants in the room - one was the ability to take a chance on what seemed to be a bargain price for an unusual product until it had been proved beyond all reasonable doubt that no risk was to be taken. (Normal human behaviour - no risk taken until everyone has one - a sort of circular catch-22 equation that makes every innnovative new product hard to get off the ground).

Presumably B&H sold out the excess stock whilst the interested crowd of onlookers was fumbling around.

Second elephant is the source of spare batteries.  This camera seems to have a special oem battery pack and there is no obvious second source for batteries. Two batteries come with camera but dead battery = “no digital camera”.

Battery limited toys only last as long as you can power them up.

1. It's not battery limited, it can be powered externally by standard usb battery packs, with an available cable.

2. If the camera becomes popular a third party will make the battery, or Z will sell them.

The camera is not sold out.

11 minutes ago, markr041 said:

The camera is not sold out.

But is the camera "sold out" at the low low prices we have seen before?!

Because if the stock has run low enough then they might not bother to ever put it on sale again.

19 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

But is the camera "sold out" at the low low prices we have seen before?!

Because if the stock has run low enough then they might not bother to ever put it on sale again.

B&H is obviously an agressive and capable marketer.  If they put a product on special for a limited time then I expect that they really meant “a limited time”.  Whatever their commercial reason is I could not possibly know but I suggest that it may have served its purpose in raising the profile of the camera type.

But as an experienced accountant I could figure out a few possible reasons for this action.

Mark has done a great job self ambassadoring the product and it was surprising how hard it was to convince others just what good value the special price was.  I and some others no doubt did not ask questions but bought first and are now asking questions later.  On the scale of things it might be hard to judge who was the biggest crazy - those hard to convince who missed out by their trardiness or those apparent fools who rushed in and may yet get their fingers burned.

When mine arrives - it has been surprisingly quick across literally half the world’s circumference but is not here yet - I expect to do my own testing and ambassadoring in a sort of reasonable “payback” for the discounted purchase price I recieved.

I always like to see those that make the products that I can enjoy make enough money to stay in business so that they can contine to make further innovative products that I can also enjoy.

If I like the Panasonic GM products then I have a good chance of also liking the Z E1.

Magical Combo: Z Cam E1 + SLR Magic 8mm F4 + Zhiyun Crane M

Stay for the out-take at the end (audio test too).

Light, small and wide view like an action cam on a gimbal, but without the fisheye and much better quality. And more feasible than mounting a GH5 on a gimbal, for long use.

Yeah a green tint but not everywhere in the snow, but pretty big patches of it all over the place.

I am using a HP IPS 30" calibrated 2k monitor. So I don't know if it is me or you??

I noticed it toward the end, but then it was ALL I noticed LoL.

I didn't re watch it to see if it was in the beginning.

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah a green tint but not everywhere in the snow, but pretty big patches of it all over the place.

I am using a HP IPS 30" calibrated 2k monitor. So I don't know if it is me or you??

I noticed it toward the end, but then it was ALL I noticed LoL.

I didn't re watch it to see if it was in the beginning.

Odd, because I look for discoloration too. But, you got stability!

4 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

It is for some reason worse in the Dog scenes in the middle and Dog scene at the very end.

It seems to be were big open expanses of snow are?

I'll take a closer look, but I am away now so it will have to wait. I did notice a little color shifting due to awb and moving from shade to sun (I forgot to set WB), but not green tints.