Going back to CaNikon for Photography

yiomo

Well the A7s is now  over three years and a half old and again, if I was shooting for pay I would certainly not be using an A7s ONLY but it would sure still be in my bag.

Ergonomics is subjective and I prefer the first version A7 cameras to the later ones and the A7s to all the other cameras I have used though perhaps I am in a minority there.

My point is that a lot of things mentioned as being faults are not really and it comes down to what the camera is designed to do and when people say things like you can not customize a button for silent shutter?

And yet the number of cameras that even HAVE a silent shutter is small and the number that can customize it to quick(er) access must be very small indeed.

The A7s can not do some things that some other cameras can and it can do things some others can not and it comes down to what someone wants/needs.

There is still no other camera I would want for low light high ISO stills and the same with the limited video that I do (it has recently been knocked out of the number one spot for ISO on DXOmark by two medium format cameras but even so after three and a half  years it still holds up well and it is also no slouch for image quality at lower ISOs either).

It is not for rapid shooting or high pixel counts but coming from cameras like a Pentax Spotmatic and Olympus OM1-n it works just fine for photography.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 11/19/2017 at 9:22 PM, jonpais said:

I've come to the realization that even if I bought a brand new fully spec'd iMac for $4,000 today and turned around and tried selling it tomorrow for $800 on eBay or Craigslist here, nobody would bite.

Sounds like the smart man's approach would be to buy those $800 iMacs instead of buying new! ;-)

Having owned all 3 cameras (A7S, 5D3, D750) and used them on a multitude of paid events here is my opinion from a stills perspective:

- 5D3: workhorse all-rounder. best sealing and build quality of the 3. best ergonomics (thumb wheel, joystick, ISO button). superior AF point spreading. better AWB. best skin tones. Magic Lantern which adds peaking and a bunch of stuff also useful for photography.

- D750: also a workhorse but body & ergonomics are prosumer level. incredible DR (mainly useful for landscape photography) lightweight & tilt-screen

- A7S: a speciality camera mainly geared towards extreme low light performance & video. consumer body. terrible ergonomics & battery life. not a very good choice for general pro photography imo.

I'd give the clear advantage to 5D3 (especially if you're already in the Canon ecosystem) and even as a hybrid it's still very relevant thanks to ML Raw video. But of course D750 will also run circles around a A7S.

Personally, I sold my 5D3 expecting to upgrade to 5D4.. but I've totally fallen in love with the XT2 using Fuji & vintage Nikon prime lenses. The size, weight, EVF, dials & lens aperture control have been a complete game changer for me and I have a hard time imagining going back to bulky DSLR's with no EVFs.

The only aspect where (FUJI) mirrorless doesn't fully hold up is flash department which is unreliable as well as the occasional hiccup that could cause missed shots (I've had the AF go haywire a few times). For that alone i still go to Canon and rent a 5D for events where failure isn't an option.

18 hours ago, Django said:

I've totally fallen in love with the XT2 using Fuji & vintage Nikon prime lenses. The size, weight, EVF, dials & lens aperture control have been a complete game changer for me and I have a hard time imagining going back to bulky DSLR's with no EVFs.

Django do you ever use a speed booster or lens turbo with your XT2  ???