Any real shortfilms out there with Lumix G7, G85 and GX85 cameras?

PannySVHS

Hey guys,

what are your favorite fiction short films with the three cameras above? Honestly I haven´t seen many done with them. There are plenty GH1, GH2 and GH4 shorts out there, but maybe not one done with the GX85. I am talking fiction, plot and dialogue. So no test videos or talking heads, just pure old shortfilms with a plot. Heck, besides Luk Neumanns and Jordans (The Camerastore) GH5 scenes there is hardly any GH5 shortfilms with a plot. But let´s keep it focused on the G7, G85 and GX85.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Nobody seen any. That´s supporting my findings. Most buyers of these three cams are much, much less into doing shortfilms than GH 1 2 4 shooters were. Not much GH5 content out there neither in that regard. A pity.

It can take a little bit of time for a good short film to planned, shot, and go through post. (thus there can often be a lag before we see plenty shot with a new camera)

But I'm certain plenty of short films have been done with the GH5. 

Heck, just a few weeks back I was 1st AC on a shoot with a GH5.

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It can take a little bit of time for a good short film to planned, shot, and go through post. (thus there can often be a lag before we see plenty shot with a new camera)

But I'm certain plenty of short films have been done with the GH5. 

Heck, just a few weeks back I was 1st AC on a shoot with a GH5.

For the GH5 that should be true. I was a cinematographer for a short (done with it in beautiful 8bit 420 HD glory, because it is so good already:). G85 has been out for a while, G7 for more than two years but hardly any shorts done with these, which one can find in the www.

12 hours ago, anonim said:

Some sort of monodrama, without dialogue but very nicely exploring possibilities

If Short include and documentary, this one (look further) is impressive

Hey, it´s a documentary:) Nice colors though, I can tell from zipping through the doc. The 1st one I watched entirely. It shows the challenges of making a narrative fiction shortfilm: the monologue is hard to hear (sound), some of the nice images don´t fit the narrative structure. It still is a collage much rather than a shortfilm. So still looking for the Shortfilm Fiction Pieces.  Thread is open for entries! :) Thanks for the examples.

19 hours ago, kaylee said:

ive definitely seen a few but i cant remember names off the top of my head

Looking forward to it:)

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

For the GH5 that should be true. I was a cinematographer for a short (done with it in beautiful 8bit 420 HD glory, because it is so good already:). G85 has been out for a while, G7 for more than two years but hardly any shorts done with these, which one can find in the www.

Another point to keep mind, is even on very small budget short films, if they have enough resources to still do it half decently looking with art department / actors / crew / lighting / etc, then they're probably not going with the cheapest of cheapest Panasonic cameras such as the G or GX/GM/GF series, they've got a GH (or better) camera instead. 

Thus those shooting shorts with a G7/G6/G5/etc tend to be only the most ultra of ultra low budget people. (thus even if the camera is capable of much much more, that probably won't be shining through at all)

Anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of short films shot on a Panasonic G7. A quick look on Vimeo shows up a few.

And of course how could we possibly forget our own andy lee, who shot an entire feature film with 6x (yes, SIX!) G7 cameras:

(however it is still in post production)

I have some short documentaries shot with the GX80 - but honestly, they're more of like my kid on a day out or holiday videos. I think that's the main market for this camera at least. If you want to see, I can post a few videos up here, but like I say, they're not really short film narratives, although they are a bit about home videos.

HereThat said I do often use it in combination with my LS300. For this live performance, the GX80 is the handheld cam and the one on sticks is JVC LS300. It might give you a good idea of what you can get out of the camera with a little grading etc. - Sorry about the watermark, not my idea. 

On 15.11.2017 at 4:28 AM, IronFilm said:

Anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of short films shot on a Panasonic G7. A quick look on Vimeo shows up a few.
And of course how could we possibly forget our own andy lee, who shot an entire feature film with 6x (yes, SIX!) G7 cameras

Thus those shooting shorts with a G7/G6/G5/etc tend to be only the most ultra of ultra low budget people. (thus even if the camera is capable of much much more, that probably won't be shining through at all)

Post it, bud!:) If you found a nice shortfilm with plot, don´t wait and post it please. I didn´t happen to be lucky on my search for it. Well, Andy Lee has not been on the forum for a while now, unfortunately. Good shorts with ultra low budget are very charming. Would love to see that kind of filmic approach with one of the three cameras above. Every camera finds its avid shooters, its masters. So would have it charms to find that charming people having done one or two shorts with one of the charming three cameras above.

@Anaconda_, I would not call your musicvideo a shortfilm in the sense I was trying to suggest :)  @sanveer Cool! Really looking forward to seeing your footage with it!

2 hours ago, Inazuma said:

@PannySVHS What kind of short films are you into anyway? 

Short films dont pay the bills

Posting threads on EOSHD didn´t make me rich neither:) What terminology would you suggest to give an adequate answer? For now, I´d say, some shortfilms which show joy of creation and being a narrative, showing off work with the filmic form in that context.

Here is one  of my shorts, I´ve posted a while ago, filmic sketch much, much  rather, but still with an attempt to narrative, done with no budget, a Lumix G6 and a china boosted FD 28mm. Did a reshoot of the setup this August with audible!:) dialogue this time, with a small crew, two professional actors rather than non professional, though talented, collegues. This vid I did all by myself, therefore no audio for the voices :)

I did a 40-minute doc with two GX80s.  I'm not a pro, and mistakes were made, but I got paid and the clients and those who were involved with the project and who saw it really liked it.  The main feedback was that they often forgot I was there (invisible), the kids and other interviewees were comfortable in front of the little camera, and the quality of the image was much better than they expected.  All the a-cam was shot handheld except for interviews and I was able to get pickup shots in locations where I really didn't have permission to shoot video (museum, only stills with no flash allowed).  

Would love an updated GX camera with better EVF for manual focusing with some of the GH5/G9 features.

Not much in the fiction shortfilms going on on the web with these cameras. Period. :/ Thanks for your contributions. :) 

On 18.11.2017 at 7:55 PM, sgreszcz said:

I did a 40-minute doc with two GX80s.  I'm not a pro, and mistakes were made, but I got paid and the clients and those who were involved with the project and who saw it really liked it. 

Yeah, I´ve watched it a couple months ago. Really nice. But, sorry to say so, it´s a doc, not a fiction short:)

Here is a trailer for my shortfilm I shot end of summer. It´s shot with the GH5 in 8bit 100mbps with natural profile. So should be similar to what a G85 can deliver if using its UHD mode. It´s a pity that not many people are sharing their shortfilm efforts on the web or not shooting any. I remember the GH4 launch and along with all the slomo, flowers, walking backs of heads, there was a variety of interesting and inspiring fictional shortfilms, pieces of fictional filmmaking.

Little sidenote, my G6 video I posted above was kind of a concept quickshot for the shortfilm this trailer is from. I must say I am still very fond of the G6. But color rendition of the newer bunch of Lumix cams is impressive, when graded. So even more a pity, that the newer Lumix cams don´t seem to inspire to shoot shorts as much as they are used to film documentaries, webcontent, fashion ads,  imagefilms, and stuff like that. Some wedding films with the GH5 are super impressive. Would love to see that in the fiction shortfilm area.

On 22/11/2017 at 5:27 PM, PannySVHS said:

Here is a trailer for my shortfilm I shot end of summer. It´s shot with the GH5 in 8bit 100mbps with natural profile. So should be similar to what a G85 can deliver if using its UHD mode. It´s a pity that not many people are sharing their shortfilm efforts on the web or not shooting any. I remember the GH4 launch and along with all the slomo, flowers, walking backs of heads, there was a variety of interesting and inspiring fictional shortfilms, pieces of fictional filmmaking.

Little sidenote, my G6 video I posted above was kind of a concept quickshot for the shortfilm this trailer is from. I must say I am still very fond of the G6. But color rendition of the newer bunch of Lumix cams is impressive, when graded. So even more a pity, that the newer Lumix cams don´t seem to inspire to shoot shorts as much as they are used to film documentaries, webcontent, fashion ads,  imagefilms, and stuff like that. Some wedding films with the GH5 are super impressive. Would love to see that in the fiction shortfilm area.

Hey, I really like the look of this.  As for fictional short films, I wouldn't know where to start.  Maybe my kids will have some ideas some day :)