Am I An Idiot??? (Going From D750 to a6500...)

Mark Romero 2

3 hours ago, mercer said:

If I were shooting real estate, weddings, trade shows, or any event really, I would think AF would be one of the most important features needed, so I would stop reading this site and go buy a Canon.

I think that depends.

For weddings if you shoot rapidly and lots of photos, then AF would be more important and the same maybe if you are shooting for something like a Newspaper ot if yu are shooting a trade show where you might only be there for a short time but not everyone shoots that way.

For me, for events, decent low light/high ISO would be more important and for real estate AF would be below decent high ISO and also in many instances being able to shift a lens.

Many wedding photographers will supply fewer images and be fine with manual focus or just use AFS (which just about all cameras are good at).

I think real estate might be better with FF simply because it is easier to get wider lenses.

A7s with Canon 17 TS-E shifted  (otherwise the building would be leaning back quite heavily to fit it all in) and at ISO 25600 and for the second, it is shifted quite a bit  at ISO 51200

DSC00554.jpg

DSC00675.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I’m guessing the vast majority of viewers watch my YouTube videos on either a Samsung or an Apple smartphone. They spend an average of 1.07 minutes watching one video. 94% of my viewers are male. Videos embedded in external websites or apps account for 6.5% of total views. If I weren’t just shooting for my own enjoyment, I really believe shooting on my iPhone would be good enough for most people. 

Anyways, @Mark Romero 2, just buy the Sony already! If you don’t, I will! ?

26 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I’m guessing the vast majority of viewers watch my YouTube videos on either a Samsung or an Apple smartphone. They spend an average of 1.07 minutes watching one video. 94% of my viewers are male. Videos embedded in external websites or apps account for 6.5% of total views. If I weren’t just shooting for my own enjoyment, I really believe shooting on my iPhone would be good enough for most people. 

Anyways, @Mark Romero 2, just buy the Sony already! If you don’t, I will! ?

Interesting stats, I often wonder, since I watch most of these videos on my phone if I could tell the difference if a video was originally shot in 4K or in 1080p and if a good lens on 1080p would translate better on YT/V than an okay lens in 4K?

I did recently get tricked into thinking a 5D3 Video was shot in Raw when it was really shot in regular Canon firmware 1080p.

Even this video, I thought was 4K 5D4, but the guy shot it on the 5D4 in 1080... now the 1080p on the 5D4 is a pretty high bitrate MOV but still, I would have thought I could easily tell the difference between the two... even on my phone...

Btw, he is a Sony shooter that recently switched to the 5D Mark IV.

5 hours ago, mercer said:

Btw, he is a Sony shooter that recently switched to the 5D Mark IV.

I watched his video on WHY he switched and it is hard to argue with his points. I believe he shot primarily / entirely in 1080p with his Sony cameras, so that is one thing to keep in mind.

The 1080p on the 5D IV does look good. How is the DR and rolling shutter on the 5D IV?

My hope of hopes is that Nikon would release a new D750 / D760 that would have on-sensor phase detect AF and great 1080p, and still have the easy-to-work-with codec and really great colors. And please get rid of the mode dial lock function. 

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

I watched his video on WHY he switched and it is hard to argue with his points. I believe he shot primarily / entirely in 1080p with his Sony cameras, so that is one thing to keep in mind.

Yeah, I saw that too. And that’s a good point since the a6500 isn’t known for a spectacular 1080p image, but it does have an insane 4K image.

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

The 1080p on the 5D IV does look good. How is the DR and rolling shutter on the 5D IV?

I was actually surprised by how good it looked. And to learn that it shoots at such a high bitrate. I figured it was using the same codec and bitrate as the 5D3 and 80D. I believe if you get the Canon Log version, it has about 12 stops. Without the Canon Log... maybe 10-11... but probably closer to 10. However I never felt that his video lacked DR... not that he was shooting in a high DR scenario. Rolling shutter isn’t great in 4K but neither is the crop at 1.64x/1.74x (depending on who does the math) but in 1080p it’s supposed to be a lot better with no crop.

The 5D4 probably isn’t the best camera for you, I just wanted to show there are other options if you are not set on either the D750 or the a6500.

If I were you, I would either go all in with a D850 or go down to a Canon 80D and bank as much money as possible over the next year until the next generation of cameras are released... Both Nikon and Canon are supposedly releasing FF mirrorless cameras next year.

Nah, I’d probably buy a 5D4, but I have a soft spot for Canon cameras.

On 11/17/2017 at 5:08 AM, Mark Romero 2 said:

I could just get an original a7s, shoot in 1080p internally, and probably use the a7s for stills as well.

I agree, a secondhand a7S mk1 would be a tempting choice for your line of work. 

On 11/17/2017 at 5:08 AM, Mark Romero 2 said:

The only time i really NEED more than 12mp is when I have to crop in significantly for a view shot, and since I am in the hills above San Francisco and the Golden Gate bridge, well, there are lots of view shots to be had...

Not even 600mm is enough?!

On 11/17/2017 at 8:56 PM, jonpais said:

@mercer Well, if you ever get the chance to... I was skeptical myself when @Vesku used to talk about watching on a large screen, and I think Ken Ross also mentioned it: but I had a 40” HD TV sitting in my apartment for years and never watched it. Since getting the LG however - it’s like you’ve never seen your work before - the picture doesn’t fall apart at all, on the contrary, to use a cliched phrase, it’s like a veil is lifted. My attitude now is, forget a new camera body, invest in a decent display, because what’s the point of having a great sensor if you’re restricted to watching your clips on a tiny laptop? A phenomenal set can be had for little more than the price of an a6500 and kit lens, I’m sure. Anyhow, something to think about. There’ve been countless pages here devoted to gear, that’s what this site is about - but very little attention has been paid to how we actually view the content once we’ve finished a project. 

Thanks for supporting my opinion to watch videos with a good TV. 

I wonder if you are watching rec709 SRD videos with your OLED using wide colors and high contrast. It is not how SDR videos are ment to be watched. You must adjust your TV to show gray blacks and low contrast and crush the file for 6 stops of dynamic range. Users in this forum recommends watching and grading SDR videos that way. If we want the video looks stunning we must use HDR feature and HDR grading. If we watch 6 stops of SDR video with high contrast and vivid colors the dark tones are horribly black and all the clipped highlights shines too much. SDR 6 stops of dynamic range is equal to contrast ratio 1:64. When using OLED contrast ratio 1:million or infinite it does not look right.

I like to watch my videos with excellent contrast and vivid colors and not crushed to 6 stops but it is obviously the wrong way.

Sorry of topic.

On 11/19/2017 at 9:03 AM, Mattias Burling said:

A used A7s is affordable indeed these days. 

I was browsing fleabay and noticed a few had gone for US 800 range. Which bugs the question, in the 800-1000 range is the A7S Mk1 still competitive? Just curious on your thoughts! it's fun searching eBay/Craigslist for good cameras at very nice prices. 

On 11/17/2017 at 1:56 PM, jonpais said:

My attitude now is, forget a new camera body, invest in a decent display, because what’s the point of having a great sensor if you’re restricted to watching your clips on a tiny laptop? 

Totally agree ! Recently I upgraded to a 43” LG 4K HDR set and puts you in a different zone editing on a biggger display. Your content on a bigger screen will truly test the quality of your work and it even changes how you visualize things before you shoot it cause you have to imagine how it would look on the big screen. Also the little nuances people tend to zoom into 300% to see become negligible on the bigger screen. Not to be long winded but the last thing editing on a bigger display taught me is you have to factor in the PICTURE SETTINGS on peoples display. Now when I grade I use 2 presets on my tv : one thats calibrated using a bluray calibration disc and one at the tv’s default settings with the sharpness up. Now I see exactly how my in camera adjustments effect not only my workflow but how people will view my content

On 11/18/2017 at 7:51 PM, ryne275 said:

Likelihood of the a6500 being "replaced" in the next 6 or so months? I'm thinking about picking up an 6300 or 6500, but if an a6700 is right around the corner, should I wait? 240fps in FHD would be nice. And 4K 60fps would be fantastic

I don't really know when the a6500 will get replaced, and I think that trying to predict what sony is going to do is kind of a fool's errand, IMHO.

People were kind of right in predicting the a9, but it wasn't exactly what people had said it would be (the lower MP sensor).

Not sure many people were expecting the release of the a7R III. Most people I saw were predicting an a7 III. But then again it kind of made sense that some of the tech that was in the a9 would go into another flagship camera.

I'm not really sure what would go into an a6500 successor... and no telling if it would be at the a6500 price point or whether it would be closer to that of D500

On 11/19/2017 at 6:03 AM, Mattias Burling said:

A used A7s is affordable indeed these days. 

Yes, it is. Something to think about.

But then the 16-35 is about US $1,100 used, and then I would probably need a 24MP body such as the a7 II as well. 

If sony full frame lenses were more affordable - or if I were halfway decent at manual focus with adapted lenses - then it could work.

On 11/23/2017 at 10:21 AM, Dustin said:

I was browsing fleabay and noticed a few had gone for US 800 range. Which bugs the question, in the 800-1000 range is the A7S Mk1 still competitive? Just curious on your thoughts! it's fun searching eBay/Craigslist for good cameras at very nice prices. 

You could probably get two Panasonic G80 bodies for that secondhand? Gains better battery life, flip out screen, 4K, and IBIS

On 11/23/2017 at 5:09 PM, Mark Romero 2 said:

I'm not really sure what would go into an a6500 successor... and no telling if it would be at the a6500 price point or whether it would be closer to that of D500

And we're STILL waiting on an a5100 replacement?!

It is tricky business crystal ball gazing