Zhongyi Lens Turbo II and GH5

lmackreath

Morning all. I have a GH5 and a bunch of native lenses and am looking at more options such as the Sigma 18-35 1.8, Sigma Art 24 1.4 and Sigma 17-50 F.28

I am confused about vignetting issues with the Zhongyi? I cannot afford going down the metabones route and it seems the lens turbo is a pretty decent alternative. What I need to know though because its made for full frame lenses what lens will and wont work on it with the GH5?

I have been told using it with the sigma 18-35 is a total no go as thats an aps-c lens so expect heavy vignetting? has someone got real world examples of this?

What about the Sigma 24 1.4 art lens? That is a full frame lens so would that be ok?

Anyone with any experiences of the Zhongyi on a GH5 and what lenses they have would be greatly appreciated.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Slightly bigger crop factor of Zhongyi II is your friend :) It has crop factor lowering to 0.726 so you are pretty inside safe margin even with 18-35.

Personally I used Zhongyi with GH2 witch has multiaspect ratio crop smaller than GH5 - of 1.86 - and there was no problem with full frame lenses, so you should no worry at all with Sigma Art full frame lenses.

BTW I found that Zhongyi has very little bit sharper reproduction than first version of Metabones speedboosters.

Just now, anonim said:

Slightly bigger crop factor of Zhongyi II is your friend :) It has crop factor lowering to 0.726 so you are pretty inside safe margin even with 18-35.

Personally I used Zhongyi with GH2 witch has multiaspect ratio crop smaller than GH5 - of 1.86 - and there was no problem with full frame lenses, so you should no worry at all with Sigma Art full frame lenses.

Is this true? I know the Zhongyi was safe on the GH4 in 4k because of the extra crop but I have been told the sigma 18-35 on the GH5 with the Zhongyi is a total no go because there is no extra 4k crop on the gh5?

this is what i have been told eslwhere

"I think it is only the Lens turbo failing. The Sigma 18-35 is designed to cover a Nikon DX sensor with a diagonal of 28.4mm. 28.4*0.726=20.6 which is still larger than the GH5's 19.9mm with 16:9 crop. The actual image circle of the lens at 18mm seems to be around 33mm, so an ideal focal reducer would produce a circle of 24mm. I measured only 19.2mm through the lens turbo."

As I already wrote - 18-35 has comfortable zone, I've say to 1.38-1.4 crop (I tested it when worked with 18-35 with BMPCC speedbooster on m43 bodies and had to enlarge ratio because of vigneting). XL make 1.28 crop factor and from my experience it is out of being safe, but tastes are different ("said devil and sit down into nettles" as said proverb in my locals :)

(And... I vote not to letting go all of your native lenses in favor to new love. if you have them, keep at least 15 and 42.5 mm 1.7... my 2 cents although I'm not fan of autofocus lenses.)

3 minutes ago, anonim said:

As I already wrote - 18-35 has comfortable zone, I've say to 1.38-1.4 crop (I tested it when worked with 18-35 with BMPCC speedbooster on m43 bodies and had to enlarge ratio because of vigneting). XL make 1.28 crop factor and from my experience it is out of being safe, but tastes are different ("said devil and sit down into nettles" as said proverb in my locals :)

(And... I vote not to letting go all of your native lenses in favor to new love. if you have them, keep at least 15 and 42.5 mm 1.7... my 2 cents although I'm not fan of autofocus lenses.)

Thanks!..if I can get a good enough price for the 12-35 f2.8 i will keep the 25mm and 42.5!

@Imackreath...just watch the video from the guy on the XL speedbooster you posted...I use the speedbooster XL with 3 APS-C lenses and IBS turned on and I don't get vignetting in 16x9 on even the Tokina 11-16 which gets down to 7.4 mm wide!...in other aspect ratios you may, but it's very simple to fix in post....Though I don't own the booster you're getting, you should have no problems, unless you're really stressing the IBS unreasonably and in that case a bit of crop in post solves the issue....personally I would always go with the widest FOV and  fastest booster and fix later where needed.

9 hours ago, lmackreath said:

great to hear!...can you show me some example videos?

Most of the representative stuff is still in post production but here are few examples:

Shot on Lens Turbo v. II + 18-35 + 85mm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYm-b4QR-is
Shot on Lens Turbo v. II + 18-35 + Pentax 50mm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxdJX06BP3E

Some screengrabs of the 4:3 anamorphic mode with 18-35: http://blog.presstige.sk/post/163559806830/yesterday-we-were-on-field-shooting-with-an 

22 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

@Imackreath...just watch the video from the guy on the XL speedbooster you posted...I use the speedbooster XL with 3 APS-C lenses and IBS turned on and I don't get vignetting in 16x9 on even the Tokina 11-16 which gets down to 7.4 mm wide!...in other aspect ratios you may, but it's very simple to fix in post....Though I don't own the booster you're getting, you should have no problems, unless you're really stressing the IBS unreasonably and in that case a bit of crop in post solves the issue....personally I would always go with the widest FOV and  fastest booster and fix later where needed.

Nifty trick is you can use the Tokina 11-16mm at 16mm on full frame! :-o

Heck I have a friend who even uses it at 14mm and gets away with it for night/party shots.

3 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

Most of the representative stuff is still in post production but here are few examples:

Shot on Lens Turbo v. II + 18-35 + 85mm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYm-b4QR-is
Shot on Lens Turbo v. II + 18-35 + Pentax 50mm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxdJX06BP3E

Some screengrabs of the 4:3 anamorphic mode with 18-35: http://blog.presstige.sk/post/163559806830/yesterday-we-were-on-field-shooting-with-an 

lovely stuff!...one question...do you have to enter the focal length on the GH5 everytime you turn it on with the lens turbo on?