Who's running High Sierra?

kaylee

GUYS

my late 2013 imac is fuuuuucked up after high sierra

help me

what i guess you would call data writing (?) has become VERY slow with this update

example: I move a folder of files from one location to another, like from documents to my desktop. when i open the folder, its empty – but its not, its just taking SOOOoooooo long to move the data. in a crazy way. i cant work like this

example 2: i just took a screenshot, something i do constantly, and it took the tiny .png file 17 SECONDS to show up on my desktop. that usually happens in a second or less

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HELP 911 AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
28 minutes ago, kaylee said:

GUYS

my late 2013 imac is fuuuuucked up after high sierra

help me

what i guess you would call data writing (?) has become VERY slow with this update

example: I move a folder of files from one location to another, like from documents to my desktop. when i open the folder, its empty – but its not, its just taking SOOOoooooo long to move the data. in a crazy way. i cant work like this

example 2: i just took a screenshot, something i do constantly, and it took the tiny .png file 17 SECONDS to show up on my desktop. that usually happens in a second or less

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HELP 911 AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Is your iMac solid state? If not, I would make it one. OWC sells kits to do this. It's not hard at all. The SSD drive that you use does not need to be purchased from OWC, so you can just get one as large and fast as you want, and then just buy the kit from OWC. I did this to my iMac, probably about the same age as yours, and it flies like the wind. It's going to cost you a couple hundo depending on the size of the SSD you get, but it is so worth it.

52 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Is your iMac solid state? If not, I would make it one. OWC sells kits to do this. It's not hard at all. The SSD drive that you use does not need to be purchased from OWC, so you can just get one as large and fast as you want, and then just buy the kit from OWC. I did this to my iMac, probably about the same age as yours, and it flies like the wind. It's going to cost you a couple hundo depending on the size of the SSD you get, but it is so worth it.

thanks jonesy – im open to that, but no its fusion drive...

but i swear to god this is since i installed high sierra smh

@kaylee Sorry to hear you're having so many problems. If you haven't done so already, I can highly recommend the Apple Support Community. Post screen grabs, Blackmagic Speed Tests, whatever. Lots of helpful people there. I'm fairly certain they can help resolve whatever issues you're having. FWIW, I'm running High Sierra on a 2017 5K iMac and haven't had any hiccups yet.

so i logged out of my account, and signed in as a guest user (clean account), and took a bunch of screenshots to see what would happen, and things seemed ok

so – talk to me like im 4 years old – does that mean its safe to say that its 3rd party software im running thats causing the crazy slowdown? 

i tried closing all the apps in my account to see what would happen – still slow. activity monitor seems normal, system is 96%+ idle during all this stuff

again, talking about writing data i guess (?). screenshot normally takes less than a second to appear on my desktop, now its up to 17 seconds or something insane. and forget moving a folder of files

ugh!!!

I just put High Sierra on m 2015 15.4" MacBook Pro with a SSD and it seems to be working fine. Was lucky I think. :grimace: It had OS X Yosemite before install.

But I am running it as a dual boot system with Window 7 as the other operating system. Thinking of going to Windows 10 but. I have 10 on my Desktop, and have had no real problems with it, but it is a hog compared to Windows 7 in all respects.

• 2 months later...

oh SNAP!

I forgot to tell u guys that i fixed my mac... by doing a scorched earth clean install of high sierra! and? it runs SOOOoooooooo much better

i know its a pain in the butt to back up all your data, but my late 2013 imac is running like new. HUGE difference

all those OS installs on top of installs were messing a lot of stuff up. big difference!!! just a heads up guys ?