iPhone X VS GH5

wolf33d

Interesting video. I am sure people could do great things with this little camera. 

It doesn’t show it can replace a GH5 but it shows you can do great things with it, and if you need 4K60p in good light outside for a specific shot, even Pro commercial, the iPhone would do great. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I wanted to delete this (my) post.  I wish the OP would tell us something we don't already know about current smartphones in general.  Or say something like "iPhone X is Better than GH5" so we could try to run him out of town ;)  

What I'd say is the iPhone X shows that these phones will NEVER do commercial work.  All improvements are mostly in computational photography, multi image synthesis, etc.  They simply don't have the sensor size or horsepower to keep up with today's expectations.

Think about it, there still isn't RAW video on any consumer camera.  I'm actually surprised.

The only reason to buy an iPhone X is to impress your friends. There, you can flame me now ;)  

39 minutes ago, maxotics said:

I wanted to delete this (my) post.  I wish the OP would tell us something we don't already know about current smartphones in general.  Or say something like "iPhone X is Better than GH5" so we could try to run him out of town ;)  

What I'd say is the iPhone X shows that these phones will NEVER do commercial work.  All improvements are mostly in computational photography, multi image synthesis, etc.  They simply don't have the sensor size or horsepower to keep up with today's expectations.

Think about it, there still isn't RAW video on any consumer camera.  I'm actually surprised.

The only reason to buy an iPhone X is to impress your friends. There, you can flame me now ;)  

The iPhone WILL Do commercial (Bentley?) work because photographers and videographers are fallible and corruptible.

And Apple has in a new offshore in Jersey stashed hundreds of biliions of dollars from US tax authorities, which it is willing to pay judges, photographers and videographers, and various other individuals.

The V30 followed this when it had a face-off with a RED. Though the level of shamelessly is nowhere near the limit iPhone indulges in. 

I like the way the iPhone processing handles highdyanmic range scenes without HDR. I wish my Nikon could spit out jpgs/video the way the iPhone does, it actually renders similar to the way your eye sees it, but the small sensor just can't deliver such DR so it looks desaturated and noisy/noise-reduction.

The big cameras really need to catch up on the software side,  and even the raw processors are falling behind (adobe camera raw,etc)

Iphone looks nice in daylight. Some limitations for sure. Stinks in low light, and small sensor is limiting of course. 

Having something so small on a gimbal outdoors would be handy, especially since you'll want most stuff in focus anyway.

That said, it's doing some really weird warping in the gimbal footage. Must be the in camera stabilization. Hopefully you can turn that off, otherwise it's useless.

It's another tool, for sure. Low end has, and will continue to crush up against the mid-high end in the future. It's getting increasing harder to give a shit about the $10,000 price point cameras. 

13 hours ago, wolf33d said:

It doesn’t show [that a cheap accessible camera] can replace a [more expensive camera] but it shows you can do great things with it

I mean, isn't this every single shoot-out of anything ever...? I thought we all knew this already...? Right tool for the job? Don't let the tools get in the way of your creativity/ability etc. etc. etc.