New Panasonic G9 - multiaspect sensor?

Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

@Marc Ramirez First, let’s take cost: the GH5 has been out a while now and discounts and bundles, like extra batteries and free V-Log, have been around for some time. So I don’t see a $200-$300 price savings (= 1 SD card!) as a compelling case but apparently many here don’t feel the same way.

Then, there is little doubt that when it comes to video, the G9 is outclassed by the GH5.  You seem to only be concerned with 60p, but many of us shoot 24p, and 10-bit 4:2:2 internal recording up to 400Mbps is only possible with the GH5. Filmmakers who want the most flexibilty in post will gravitate towards the camera with a log profile, which excludes the G9. Shooters interested in 6K anamorphic mode at 24fps and HDR will likewise take a pass. Dozens of other video- oriented settings are also likely missing from the G9. 

And whether you plan on shooting for HDR delivery or not, HLG 10-bit takes the most advantage of what the sensor is capable of, with at least a full stop increase in dynamic range over the linear photo styles, resulting in smoother tonal transitions. You don’t have to pixel peep to see this either. Just have a look at @jase‘s wonderful comparison: transitions that are coarse and splotchy in Cinelike are much smoother in HLG. 

USB charging and a few other small features do not compensate for the loss of dozens of video-oriented features, if you are primarily a video shooter. If on the other hand, you shoot mostly stills, and want a micro four thirds camera ?, the G9 is for you.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 12/10/2017 at 8:47 PM, jonpais said:

@Marc Ramirez First, let’s take cost: the GH5 has been out a while now and discounts and bundles, like extra batteries and free V-Log, have been around for some time. So I don’t see a $200-$300 price savings (= 1 SD card!) as a compelling case but apparently many here don’t feel the same way.

Then, there is little doubt that when it comes to video, the G9 is outclassed by the GH5.  You seem to only be concerned with 60p, but many of us shoot 24p, and 10-bit 4:2:2 internal recording up to 400Mbps is only possible with the GH5. Filmmakers who want the most flexibilty in post will gravitate towards the camera with a log profile, which excludes the G9. Shooters interested in 6K anamorphic mode at 24fps and HDR will likewise take a pass. Dozens of other video- oriented settings are also likely missing from the G9. 

And whether you plan on shooting for HDR delivery or not, HLG 10-bit takes the most advantage of what the sensor is capable of, with at least a full stop increase in dynamic range over the linear photo styles, resulting in smoother tonal transitions. You don’t have to pixel peep to see this either. Just have a look at @jase‘s wonderful comparison: transitions that are coarse and splotchy in Cinelike are much smoother in HLG. 

USB charging and a few other small features do not compensate for the loss of dozens of video-oriented features, if you are primarily a video shooter. If on the other hand, you shoot mostly stills, and want a micro four thirds camera ?, the G9 is for you.

Thanks for clarifying, but I think the g9 is more than that. Given, I'm not a pro, but I'd say I'm 70 percent video and 30 stills, G9 still seems like a winner.

But back to the point of 4k 60fps. Shouldn't they have equal performance in that mode? That is a huge feature that differentiates both of them from other cameras currently out there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 10:22 AM, mercer said:

Damn Jon, put away that GH5 for a little while and pick up that X-T2. That Acros looks epic. If you throw on a little grain it will look like early press footage from the Vietnam War. Also please test out some 1080p ProRes F-Log with your BlackMagic Video Assist.

I’ve been looking for a second camera... maybe I should have a second look at the X-T20. Acros and Takumar lenses could be a killer combo. 

I agree!  Wow!  This is fantastic work.  I also like the snippets of color, which, speaking of color, I am blown away by the Fuji colors plus whatever grading you are doing.  That's crazy good.  Move over Canon and Nikon.  Well, Fuji has been in the film business, so it stands to reason they know something about color science.  Looking forward to what they come up with for the T-H1 with IBIS.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't just have one camera, I have multiple that each serve their own purpose. So... a while ago I'd pick up the E-M1 for stills and GH4 for video. BMPCC for that lushed filmic look. FZ1000 for traveling and the LX100 for silly stuff around the house or just to throw it in a bag or coat pocket. Now the move, for me personally is, to have both GH5S and G9. One for production style video shooting and the other for stills. And absolutely, it's looking mighty good! Gorgeous IMAX-like EVF, top LCD, you can top-up the battery on the go through USB, up to 6.5 stops of stabilization and improved processing compared to the GH5, with better tonality and such. For that you do lose out on some recording length and other high-end video features, but if you are not too bummed about that, it will probably serve you well for both stills and video.

On 1/10/2018 at 7:35 PM, Cinegain said:

For that you do lose out on some recording length and other high-end video features, but if you are not too bummed about that, it will probably serve you well for both stills and video.

The recording length is a bit of a bummer, but most of my stuff is under 30 minutes anyway, and I don't foresee using 4K60p that much. Given what little work I've done has been on the far more limited (compared to the GH4 and GH5) GH3, the G9 seems like a good upgrade.

• 8 months later...