New Panasonic G9 - multiaspect sensor?

Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks, @kidzrevil. I don't work commercially, it's for my own enjoyment. My intention is to make some short films, nothing earth-shattering, just two to three minutes long; maybe with, maybe without dialogue; hopefully humorous.

The G80/85 is a great camera, no doubt about it. I'm not about to sell it or anything - in fact, I still shoot with it.

I mentioned earlier something about features I either didn't know about or thought I'd never use - one of them is the ETC mode on the GH5, which effectively doubles the number of lenses in your kit (though unfortunately, it doesn't have any effect on bokeh, just FOV). It's also much more convenient being able to monitor audio on the GH5, and the microphone levels are easier to see. And since I use an external monitor all the time now, the full sized HDMI out is nice to have. I use the 'my menu' feature quite a bit as well. The bulkier body works better with larger lenses, especially when mounting on a tripod. And on and on...

@mercer The X-T2 video was shot around the Tet holiday, one of the most colorful times of the year in Vietnam; so I chose to shoot in B&W because of my contrarian nature. :) 

32 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@mercer fuji’s color is incredible. Im about to pull a trigger on a g9 when I sell my g85 but something is telling me Fuji will come out with an ibis camera soon. For now g9 it is cause 6.5 stops of stabilization sounds nits

Yeah Fuji is nice. I read Noam Kroll’s blog and although he shoots mostly with cinema cameras now, this past summer when he decided to get a dslr/mirrorless, he went with the X-T2 over the GH5.

The G9 seems okay. I still think the GH5 makes more sense since they’re essentially the same price now. But I understand you’re reasoning behind the G9.

My friend picked up his first 4K camera the other day, the E-M10 Mark iii and even with its measley 4 stops of IBIS, I found it better than the GX85’s. And the color was fantastic... so organic. The E-M1 Mark II has 5.5 stops, so that camera will probably have IBIS as good, or better than the advertised 6.5 of the G9. Olympus IBIS is pure insanity. I saw a video from it and it looked like steadicam footage even while walking.

These cameras are crazy now. As you know I love my 5D3 but I am contemplating a cheap Olympus or Fuji. Even the 1080p out of the E-M10 Mark II looks pretty damn good and for $400 would be perfect for the hybrid hobby use I want a second camera for. 

@jonpais that etc. mode sounds super effective for super 16mm glass that doesnt cover the full fov...hmmm sounds like something worth experimenting with ! I can see a nature videographer making good use of that feature for sure 

@mercer is the em mark iii compatible with the speedbooster xl ? IBIS is such a valuable feature for my work. I can’t say I’ve researched the olympus much but it sounds promising. As far as the g9 goes I really like the size of the grip and the fact that it has 4K 60p now. If the image processing truly is improved we can expect better low light as well. What Panasonic REALLY should do is give us a 8-12 MP GH5s for clean lowlight up to 6400 with bigger pixels. That would be a CRAZY 4k camera

@kidzrevil do you mean the E-M10 Mark iii... which is a barebones $650 camera comparable to the GX85. The E-M1 Mark II is their $2000 (although there’s a big Olympus sale now that has $200 off the E-M1 Mark II and Samy’s Camera has a couple New Open Box models for $1599) and that model has the 5.5 stops. 237mbps Cinema 4K plus a 202mbps All-I 1080p... Olympus’ nomenclature is so damn confusing. But honestly I’m not sure. It is a 2x crop so I assume it would be, but I’ve never used a speed booster before, so I am only guessing from what I’ve read. 

@jonpais, Hey Jon, I have to repeat, what others have been stating. Your Fuji footage looks awesome, the few color parts are kicking all 8bit cams in the tush too. Very impressive, espially ooc. By the way, that style of shooting and editing was really super cool. I think your best so far, up with the best vignettes I have seen on the web. Not talking about the hyperstylish Watchtower of Turkey style, which i recognize as impressive achievement but do not enjoy that much really,  but the rather classic approach. Really nice editing too, like you have been watching Tony Zhous essay film about editing as an imspiration right before editing:)

Would love to see some Fuji Acros BW footage with an orange filter on btw. :)

The real question is: are you willing to trade the fantastic video features of the GH5 (most of which are very important on the paper specs but probably never going to be used anyway) with the G9 better image/video quality, better AF, better stabilization, one of the largest EVF's out there, all of those at a lower price?

The fact of the matter is, people are using those 'specs' each and every day, and not only geeky YouTube camera reviewers: 10 bit - check; unlimited recording time - check; V-log - check (btw, 8-bit V-log is useless, one reason it isn't available on the G9); world camera - check; ALL-I 400Mbps - check; 6K 24fps anamorphic mode - check. Now, I might not use each and every one of those features myself today. Maybe not even tomorrow. For instance, I don't shoot anamorphic. But if an affordable solution appeared next year that suited me (hurry up, Brian Caldwell!), for sure, I'd be shooting anamorphic. Do I care about ALL-I 400Mbps? Tried it, hated it - eats up storage space like nobody's business, and even my spec'd out iMac stutters. As a video guy, I shoot from the hip, and a decent LCD is important if I'm not using an external monitor. Like many, I've even disabled the EVF, as I've got no use for it. Yet, even though the G9 is a flagship model alongside the GH5, they've practically halved the number of dots on the LCD screen. Why? Then, there's the future firmware updates, which for all we know, could improve the GH5's color, focus acquisition and stabilization. Anyhow, we know about as much about the G9's prowess in those matters as we do about any future GH5 firmware updates - which is to say, nothing at all. We do know however, that the G9 continues to use contrast detect autofocus, not PDAF, so it would be foolhardy to expect an improvement of the magnitude of more than a couple milliseconds: still not reliable enough for paid video work. The primary benefit of the increased stabilization of the G9 will be with longer focal lengths - we're talking like 280mm - focal lengths, which by the way, I never use myself, and which I still doubt will be able to compete with whatever Olympus has got. And it's been shown that the much touted Dual IS has little actual benefit concerning the final result. What Dual IS has done is to eliminate the jitter of some of the lenses in their lineup, like the Panasonic 35-100mm, which shouldn't have been there in the first place. Improved color, sure - baked-in 8-bit color -  which anybody will tell you is far from ideal for grading. Lower price? Seeing as the dozens of professional features of the GH5 were thrown in at practically no cost, I don't see a couple hundred dollars as being a deciding factor. ETC mode alone, which effectively doubles the number of lenses in your kit, is potentially worth thousands to a photographer on a budget or who needs to travel light. Same for internal 10-bit, which eliminates the need for expensive 4K external recorders and media. The G9 is aimed primarily at stills shooters who shoot sports and wildlife, not videographers. 

@jonpais

That's only your point of view, mine is totally different. :)

I really don't have any use for V-Log, 10 bits, ALL-I codecs, unlimited recording is nice but irrelevant for event shooting, featured clips and commercials etc. I really do appreciate the 300 euro less per camera (cause I need several of them). I really do need the better image quality offered by the G9 (yes it's there and can't be added via firmware - below it's a raw comparison between the two). I really do need the bigger EVF, the 80 Mpix multi shot mode is fantastic for corporate work. The G9 screen resolution is probably the same, the GH5 uses 4 dots per pixel (RGBW instead of RGB), 3,2 inch vs 3 inch it's a very small difference.

It's funny how you complain about the lack of video features on the G9, which except for the GH5 have no mach in any other ILC on the market, from any company. :)

If you are so trilled about those extra video features on the GH5, go for it! Who's cheeping you not to buy it?

I do 50/50 photo/video work and I'm really very contend with what the G9 offers in regard to video and trilled about the improvements in the still side of things. And yes I will pay for it as soon as I can place my preorder. :)

G9 vs GH5 ISO 6400 RAW.jpg

G9 instead GH5 for video work? For me - new best medical symptom-detection test of unbearable GASyndrom :)

Also, have to admit, and sign of special sort of imagination - GAS one: even if something clearly is not meant to be equal (in respective field of products) competitive video tool, we will made and forced it to be! :)

I think that even engineers in Panasonic are openmouthed by such development of reception-events :)

(Guys from western economies, SLR Magic base anamorphot adapter is just 400$ new - with such wonderfull posibilities to play and gain serious aesthetic results about which Andrey Tarkovski could only dream shiped into Solaris station.)

30 minutes ago, anonim said:

G9 instead GH5 for video work? For me - new best medical symptom-detection test of unbearable GASyndrom :)

I wander how other people can mage shooting video with so little video features on the Sony, Canon ILC cameras etc? :grin:

@Eno

Hey, question, and following arguments, is not - at least I thought so - how much G9 is video competent (of course it is, andI'd like to get it and send to you right now spreading good spirit of EOS community!), but if it is seriously comparable with GH5!

Sony question about - I don't know how sony fans are shooting video - maybe proudly sleeping-dreaming about pure mighty-autofocus human breed :)