New Panasonic G9 - multiaspect sensor?

Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

I know that here is a video oriented forum, but it is looking interesting...

panasonic.jpg

panasonic_2.jpg

I thought that was a very bad rendering error in the front image, but looks like that this will be the trick in this camera: a multi-aspect sensor.

The opening in the mount is clearly square (hence the hypothesis of a rendering error). But there is a V MODE button on the side of the EVF, and it is not the button to switch EVF behaviour - as in the GH5, this button is assigned by default to a button on the back. V MODE looks like "vertical mode" - you could take a portrait oriented picture keeping the camera in the usual landscape position, with full resolution.

But let's wait to see if they will not use the same LX100 "trick" to make the sensor "multi-aspect": cropping.

It is hard to imagine Panasonic getting a custom sensor for only one model, but...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I doubt it is different than the GH5 sensor. It would be so expensive to produce with a tiny market for it. Also that would be a very awkward button placement for changing crops. 

G9 looks like a E-M1mkII competitor at a similar price point. If there were any changes on the sensor it should be adding PDAF, but even that is unlikely. 

The most interesting part of it, other than the fairly large EVF, is the on/off switch which looks exactly like the Nikon. Maybe they started a collaboration? Top LCD is great as well. 

Just now, Don Kotlos said:

I doubt it is different than the GH5 sensor. It would be so expensive to produce with a tiny market for it. Also that would be a very awkward button placement for changing crops. 

G9 looks like a E-M1mkII competitor at a similar price point. If there were any changes on the sensor it should be adding PDAF, but even that is unlikely. 

The most interesting part of it, other than the fairly large EVF, is the on/off switch which looks exactly like the Nikon. Maybe they started a collaboration? Top LCD is great as well. 

I thought the same - no way that Panasonic would get a different sensor for only one camera. But that V MODE button - I agree that it is in a very strange position - and the square opening...

And yeah, it is a E-M1 II competitor. Even have exactly the same width. :)

About the sensor: crappy rendering hypothesis was confirmed. :)

I think that it is not a G85 sucessor, this one is in a upper class, aimed at still photographers - and $100 cheaper than the E-M1 MKII, even with the current discounts. I am surprises that 4k60 was included, I thought that only 4k30 will be included. 

For video, GH5 is clearly better. If Panasonic had jettisoned its "pride" about DFD (as it did about IBIS) and implemented PDAF on sensor, this camera would be a home run for stills (it could sell well as it is, but PDAF would be an icing on the cake).

It sucks the price of it.

Waaaay to close to the GH5, why not just get the GH5 instead?

& leaves this big empty price gap under it until you get to the G80, with nothing to fill this hole (like it should be).

Anyway, this certainly won't ever be replacing my Panasonic G6

37 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Viewing it as it was intended, a stills camera, then it makes perfect sense.
Im in the camp that wouldn't care if my stills camera didn't have any sort of video all together.

True, I guess if you’re a photographer first that’s invested in the m4/3rds system, then the video features are an added bonus and more than enough for most events or hybrid use. But are the photography elements so much better than what the GH5 offers?

Rather yet... are the photography elements so much better than what the G80/G81/G85 offers (which supposedly will continue to be its own line-up)?

Currently body price of a G80: around 700 EUR. The G9 comes in at 1700! 1000 bucks for... a gorgeous (by the looks of it) EVF and uh... a top LCD? Ok, maybe a bit better photography performance, but again 1000 bucks worth of improvements? I think not.

And a 200mm f/2.8 lens that's like 3000,- bucks? When you can have the Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO with 1.4x TC with more flexbility for half?

Not sure what they've been smoking. If they want to take the battle to the Olympus E-M1 Mark II and their own G80/81/85 and GH5, they should've come up with a gamechanger. I get the need for a more professional flagship for the stills shooters that have no interest in paying a premium for advanced filmmaking features. But this lack those and is up there in price range!? Actually, effectively the deal I managed to get on my GH5 turned out to be 400 bucks cheaper than that! Maybe they thought 'well, to those who can afford a 3000,- bucks lens, they're probably willing to shell out another 1700 for a camera = profit'. And on the other hand it's also a bit of a 'fuck you' to people heavily invested in the MFT system, it's like 'we know you're more or less stuck in the system, so we're going to drive the prices up and you'll still buy 'em!'.

Anyways. At the end of the day this is their photography flagship now. So... don't be too surprised about the disappointing video specs.

I think it compares very favorably to the E-M1mkii. 

At least in paper it offers better stabilization (6.5 stops even with unstabilized lenses) and it has a far better EVF. 

I find the top LCD very useful in general, one of the few things that I really miss with mirrorless cameras.

The only real disadvantage that it might have is the lack of PDAF, but that remains to be tested of how much difference there is in tracking. 

I also believe the larger size is an advantage for sports photographers. 

Coupled with the new 200mm f/2.8 this will be a success in the market that e-m1mkii dominates. 

And as a bonus you get 4K 60p and far better audio preamps. 

15 minutes ago, mercer said:

That’s the question... if you’re a pro, small format photographer (oxymoron?) do you choose a G9 over the E-M1 Mark II?

I'd buy a GH5 regardless. I haven't seen much that suggests this will be so much better than the GH5 I'd rather pay the extra US$200 and get the GH5's extra video features. Of course if reviews suggest so I might be more inclined to it.

4 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Coupled with the new 200mm f/2.8 this will be a success in the market that e-m1mkii dominates. 

Not at US$3k though, that is an insane price for a 200/2.8.