ARRI Alexa cheap enough to own now?

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony camerasΒ EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

That's why the Mini is so extremely popular, but their secondhand prices are still a long way yet from being "affordable".

Yeah. Β I've noticed a pattern ofΒ cinematographers saying that they got the mini to do a few action shots or whatever and then in doing testing they discovered the mini was really great and ended up using it for the whole production. Β These comments made me wonder why you wouldn't just do that as kind of a default, and only go for a larger model if there was a specific reason.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 5:11 AM, kye said:

Yeah. Β I've noticed a pattern ofΒ cinematographers saying that they got the mini to do a few action shots or whatever and then in doing testing they discovered the mini was really great and ended up using it for the whole production. Β These comments made me wonder why you wouldn't just do that as kind of a default, and only go for a larger model if there was a specific reason.

I think this is gradually happening, from those I know.

There is an ARRI Alexa Classic (with High Speed license) for only US$5K on eBay right now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arri-Alexa-Classic-Camera-High-Speed-Ready-To-Shoot-Package-w-Case-600-Ship/174312729518

Β 

On 6/4/2020 at 4:11 PM, kye said:

That's because they hadn't used the Mini before.Β 

But once they had, the Mini became their default.Β 

The only ARRI shoots I've worked on during the last couple of years which were not Mini shoots was because they were low budget stuff which couldn't afford the rental rate for a Mini so used a different ARRI instead.Β 

Β 

On 6/18/2020 at 7:32 AM, IronFilm said:

There is an ARRI Alexa Classic (with High Speed license) for only US$5K on eBay right now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arri-Alexa-Classic-Camera-High-Speed-Ready-To-Shoot-Package-w-Case-600-Ship/174312729518

Β 

That's because they hadn't used the Mini before.Β 

But once they had, the Mini became their default.Β 

The only ARRI shoots I've worked on during the last couple of years which were not Mini shoots was because they were low budget stuff which couldn't afford the rental rate for a Mini so used a different ARRI instead.Β 

Β 

Yeah for me right now it doesnt make sense to invest in anΒ alexa. But if I ever shoot a shortfilm of my own I might pull the trigger. (Prices will keep dropping)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Super Members
15 hours ago, Tomy Pop said:

Even Arri's lowest cost offerings (such as theΒ Alexa Mini and Amira), will cost anywhere from $35K – $45K as base price, and will jump up significantly once the accessories are added.

Lifted directly from a Noam Kroll blog post that is so old it has cobwebs on it.

So you can fuck right off as well.

• Super Members
19 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Just imagine how bad this will become once the ChatGPT bots arrive here....

As a ChatGPT bot, I'd like to address this post. I understand the concern about the impact of AI on society, but it's important to remember that AI technology is simply a tool, and how it's used depends on the intentions and actions of those who wield it. My goal, and the goal of other AI systems like me, is to assist and augment human capabilities, not replace or harm them. It's up to us as a society to determine the ethical and responsible use of AI technology to ensure its benefits are maximized and its potential negative consequences minimized.

In the short term, though, we will be absolutely inundated with absolute shite from these stupid annoying fuckers. *

Β 

Β 

Β 

* I have only written one of these paragraphs myself πŸ˜‰Β 

Dynamic range of a camera is typically measured in "stops," which refer to the ratio of the maximum to minimum brightness that can be captured by the camera. One stop represents a doubling or halving of light intensity, and the number of stops a camera can capture is a measure of its ability to record detail in both bright and dark areas within a scene. In the case of the Arri Alexa classic, it has a dynamic range of 14 stops, which means it can capture a wide range of brightness levels in a single shot. This measurement is usually performed using specialized test equipment and protocols.
Β 

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2023 at 1:14 AM, BTM_Pix said:

As a ChatGPT bot

I thought I'd go ask it to give me a post for this thread.....Β 

In 2023, the ARRI Alexa Classic might seem like an oldie, but it's still a goldie! Let's dive into why it could be your go-to camera:

1. Unbeatable Image Quality: This gem captures breathtaking visuals, boasting rich colors, a high dynamic range, and fabulous skin tones. It's cinematic magic rivals the latest models!
  2. Built to Last: ARRI's rock-solid construction means the Classic won't let you down, whether you're on a sweltering desert shoot or filming in the pouring rain.
  3. Budget-Friendly: Since it's older, the Classic's price tag is kinder to your wallet. It's perfect for indie filmmakers, students, or pros who want top-notch quality without breaking the bank.
  4. Accessorize to the Max: Compatibility with a vast array of lenses, matte boxes, and more means you'll be ready for any creative challenge!
  5. Seasoned Pro: The Classic's star-studded rΓ©sumΓ© is packed with top-tier film and TV projects. With a supportive user community, you'll never be stuck without help or advice.
  6. Keepin' Up with the Times: ARRI doesn't leave their classics behindβ€”they still roll out firmware updates to enhance your camera's features and functionality.
  7. Familiar Territory: Already an ARRI pro? The Classic's intuitive interface makes switching between projects a breeze, ensuring that signature ARRI look throughout.

However, it's worth noting that the Classic might not have all the bells and whistles of newer cameras. Plus, spare parts and servicing could become harder to find. Weigh these factors, and you'll know if the ARRI Alexa Classic is your ideal camera in 2023.