So, my Canon 1DC seems to have just bricked on me.

Ty Harper

I'm not sure exactly what the issue is/was, but I had the camera recording in Canon LOG mode and the ISO was in the high #s (just running some tests for a shoot) and suddenly the picture froze. I shut it down, and took the battery out. The battery had been blinking red, so at first I thought it was just a power issue. I replaced it with my Canon 1DC AC power adapter so I wouldn't have to rely on batteries moving forward, but the camera didn't turn on. I turned the camera off again, pulled the power adapter out, and put in a newly charged battery, and it still wouldn't turn on, and hasn't turned on since. I should also mention that I had a Ninja Blade monitor connected to the camera via hdmi as well although I doubt that factored into this issue at all.

I only became aware of the 1DC's history of issues (recurring dead pixels even after being serviced, PCB circuit board failures) AFTER I purchased mine, and I honestly was hoping these issues were only affecting some of the cameras. But it's not that much of a stretch to believe the entire line is/was essentially defective and would probably qualify for recall status, except for the fact that Canon discontinued the line, but most importantly, only sold a comparative few # of these cameras. 

I'm definitely going to send it in to Canon for an assessment but I'm in Toronto, Canada, so I was hoping anyone that's had 1DC issues could pass on any info about Canon service, specifically ph#s and any specific people you were in touch with so I (and any others out there) could either contact them directly, or relay that info to the Canon Canada reps in Toronto. From what I gather from other owners' experiences (via the infamous and especially helpful DVX thread), WHO handles your service file, and who services your camera really matters, so any info or advice on all this would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first major issue with a camera and first time having to deal with Canon service, so here's to hoping my Canon/1DC servicing experience is better than the horror stories I've read about here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?333479-Dead-Pixels-random-errors-terrible-support-anyone-else

I don't work for a production company, and I'm not a CPS member, so like many indie/amateurs on this board I'll be personally swallowing the costs on this one way or another, so again, any advice on how to handle this would really be greatly appreciated.

If you'd like to keep this private and PM me instead, I understand and will respect that as well.

Sincerely, Ty

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Mine was getting erratic, then it bricked.  By erratic I would have to turn it off, take out the battery, then turn it back on.  I was hoping it was just the battery so I popped 160 bucks for a new one, but that worked one time.  Then I sent it into Canon.  I figured it would be around 750, so I was close.  The problem with Canon is they have lost their sense of pride.  Granted, paying for a repair is par for the course, but when it came back the viewfinder wasn't cleaned, if anything, there was more junk in it.  And, dust on the sensor.  There is always dust, but, well, for almost a grand, you expect a little bit more from a company like Canon.  

On 05/11/2017 at 8:36 AM, treb999 said:

If it's the PCB, in US dollars mine cost almost 900 to fix.  Turn around time was about two weeks.  

They said it was PCB Ass'y, MAIN, PCB Ass'y, FP and would cost about $1500 Canadian to fix.

Anyone got an idea of exactly what the PCB is and whether replacing it is just a catchall solution? (i.e. I probably will never know what the exact cause was?)

Also anything I should be doing to make sure it doesn't ever happen again?

Canon told me it shorted out so they had to replace a lot of parts, 4 PCB assemblies, the AE, LP, FP, Main.  And for some reason the screen, focus EC-CV 5pcs/Box.  Which is why I wonder why they didn't clean it.  I just hope they fixed the problem with the boards so I don't have to fix it again.  I've read that some people had to have the boards replaced a couple of times.  I don't think I've ever heard of how to avoid the problem.  $1500, wow.  Almost twice what I had to fix mine.

11 minutes ago, treb999 said:

Canon told me it shorted out so they had to replace a lot of parts, 4 PCB assemblies, the AE, LP, FP, Main.  And for some reason the screen, focus EC-CV 5pcs/Box.  Which is why I wonder why they didn't clean it.  I just hope they fixed the problem with the boards so I don't have to fix it again.  I've read that some people had to have the boards replaced a couple of times.  I don't think I've ever heard of how to avoid the problem.  $1500, wow.  Almost twice what I had to fix mine.

Good to know! And thats $1500 Canadian, which is still really steep imho. I could buy another 5D MKIII for that price!

Actually all-in I could've bought a 1DX MKII at this point!!!

Funny you say that, it's true for me also.  If I had sold the 1DC before I had to pay to fix it, not knowing of course that it was going to break, and my 5D3 I would have been close enough to go for a 1DX MKII!  I know you'er paying Canadian, but $1500 still sounds like a lot.  Good luck when you get it back, I'm going to use mine until it breaks again, then move on.

3 hours ago, treb999 said:

Funny you say that, it's true for me also.  If I had sold the 1DC before I had to pay to fix it, not knowing of course that it was going to break, and my 5D3 I would have been close enough to go for a 1DX MKII!  I know you'er paying Canadian, but $1500 still sounds like a lot.  Good luck when you get it back, I'm going to use mine until it breaks again, then move on.

Yeah I hope to run my 1DC into the ground but if there's another issue I'll be extremely pissed.

By the way, have you had an dead pixel issues with yours (yet)?

I agree, for the price if it has to go back to Canon again in the next year for anything I will not be happy.  As far as the dead pixels, no, and for what it's worth, that would be the death knell on the camera.  Years ago dead pixels were kind of common, I had a Canon 50d that I loved and I had to send that in to Canon to get remapped.  I don't even know if they can remap a 1DC and I hope I never have to ask.  These high end cameras are great, but cost a small fortune to get fixed.  Which is why I never bought a digital Medium Format camera.  I'll use my 1DC until it's a doorstop and hopefully by then it won't be worth anything so I can put it on a shelf and look at it once in a while.

In my experience different cameras have different methods of remaping pixels. 

A7rii does it automatically

E-M1 had a menu setting

D800 had to be sent to Nikon service to do it. 

I bet you can also send 1DC to Canon. If it is worth it it depends on you but I know it can be more annoying in video than in stills. 

10 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

In my experience different cameras have different methods of remaping pixels. 

A7rii does it automatically

E-M1 had a menu setting

D800 had to be sent to Nikon service to do it. 

I bet you can also send 1DC to Canon. If it is worth it it depends on you but I know it can be more annoying in video than in stills. 

I'm pretty sure Canon has stated that you can't remap the 1DC, it's discussed in the infamous Dead Pixels thread over at dvuser: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-333479.html

Point is you'd have to constantly be sending it back to them every year or so, and of course they wont be doing it for free. I honestly wish I'd known all this before I bought it but hey, lesson learned.

This unfortunately is a natural degradation process of sensors. The older the sensor the more dead/hot/stuck pixels. Even new sensors have some of them which are remapped in factory. 

So yes, I would avoid buying an older camera that does not have an easy (and free) way or pixel remapping. 

33 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

This unfortunately is a natural degradation process of sensors. The older the sensor the more dead/hot/stuck pixels. Even new sensors have some of them which are remapped in factory. 

So yes, I would avoid buying an older camera that does not have an easy (and free) way or pixel remapping. 

For sure, and I'm not a super experienced camera person, but it does seem like pixel remapping is one of those features most might expect to come standard in a camera from Canon's C-line.

• 1 month later...