Software to trim MP4 4k files without recoding

Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

Hi, guys. Do you know any software (free is possible) that allows you to trim Panasonic's (GX85, in the case) MP4 4k files without recoding? I have a lot of footage with begin / end without usable material (the shutter button of the GX85 sometimes did not stop the recording), and I wish to trim the excesses before moving it to my permanent storage.

Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Always thoroughly test this type of utility on numerous clips before relying on it. I haven't tested this one but I've seen several cases where such utilities produce a damaged output file. I also suggest testing playback with two different players such as VLC and Windows Media Player or Quicktime Player. Make sure the player will properly show the beginning and end of the trimmed file, also that fast forward and fast reverse followed by normal speed playback works OK.

Otherwise it is possible to trim a bunch of files, think they are OK, discard the originals, then later find out the trimmed files are compromised in some way.

31 minutes ago, joema said:

Always thoroughly test this type of utility on numerous clips before relying on it.

Agree, I've been burned so many times searching for this Holy Grail.  I've used avidemux, various ffmpeg frontends, which worked for sometimes, then blew up, for reasons I still don't understand.  Recently I tried https://lesspain.software/kyno/ and it blew me away, how well thought-out it is.  I thought, finally, the perfect tool!  But then it mangled some C100 footage--footage it should be able to deal with easily.  I put in a bug report, to this day I have no idea if they've fixed it.  Hopefully they do, because they're onto something.

• 1 month later...

Apparently my bug about the C100 slipped through the cracks at Lesspain / Kyno.  They asked me to try it again in the new 1.4 version and I can report that it is fixed.  It's a very nicely thought-out piece of software which allows you to trim, copy, re-encode video/audio in whatever manner you want .

They have a trial.  Highly recommended that you try it out, if you do any footage "pre-processing".

https://lesspain.software/kyno/

Avidemux, which has been mentioned above, is indeed the right tool for this job. When trimming h264/mpeg video, it allows you to jump from keyframe to keyframe and set them as in/out markers. This way, it can trim video files in a clean way without any reencoding, quality loss or garbled frames.

On top of that, it's Open Source, running on Windows, Mac and Linux, and has been stable and mature for years.

1 hour ago, cantsin said:

has been stable and mature for years

Do you still use it?  I found it buggy.  It might work for one set of parameters, but then croak on another.  The dev seems to go on and off it.  The last news update was almost half a year ago.

Whoever is behind Kyno has certainly put a lot of effort into it, and even they ran into problems.  The dirty truth is every update to one's OS, or every new camera CODEC settings, threatens to hurt your software. I'm all for open source (use ffmpeg,imagej , dcraw, and imagemagick, etc), but,at least for me, if I can pay to save time and future grief, I will if the price is right.  It's a free trial.  Why don't you try Kyno and let us know?  I'm just one opinion.

I've used almost every piece of software mentioned in this thread and most of them are no longer being developed in a significant way.  Kyno is a new effort.  For that alone, one should see where the latest thinking is at.  Or one can go back to the GH2 ;)

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:39 AM, maxotics said:

I've used almost every piece of software mentioned in this thread and most of them are no longer being developed in a significant way.  Kyno is a new effort.  For that alone, one should see where the latest thinking is at.  Or one can go back to the GH2 ;)

Yes, most of the software touted here has stopped developing.

I do not understand why TMPGEnc Smart Renderer 5 is not THE solution? It has been constantly updated to add new features (eg, HEVC trimming) and it renders losslessly and quickly - that is its purpose. It is up to date and has been around a long time. Is this forum populated by high schoolers who don't want to pay $59 for software?  Or does someone actually have any bad experience to report? It has a free demo.

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmsr5.html

26 minutes ago, markr041 said:

I do not understand why TMPGEnc Smart Renderer 5 is not THE solution?

It might be.  I have no idea the OP's real-world use.  I wouldn't say Kyno is THE solution.  It's just A solution.  No one knows better than I how little most "filmmakers" pay for accessories, either software or hardware.  Under 10 people have ordered one of my vlogging mirrors from me.  I'm not in the least surprised.  Most of us just want to amuse ourselves with our cameras after work, or during the weekends.  You and I are both outliers, like really out there ;) Most don't have a real daily need to shoot much with their cameras, and hence, don't have the need for cutting software or vlogging mirrors, no matter how little they cost.  

The last person who inquired about my vlogging mirror wanted to buy it for her daughter.  I looked at her daughter's channel.  I told her, she needs a microphone first!  That's also a problem.  As much as everyone on EOSHD might want one of my vlogging mirrors for their Sony camera, or that software, they probably need better mics and lights first!  If only money grew on trees.

• 2 years later...

I think ffmpeg is really complicated to use, which needs some commands. As for VLC, it is totally free, but it is not suitable for begginners. Based on my experience, Joyshare Media Cutter works well. You say you want to find freeware. That Joyoshare is nice. It provides 5 free opportunities to trim 4k videos without recoding. If you don't use frequently, it is equal to a free one. Try it!