Below $60 Mic Options?

Mark Romero 2

1 minute ago, mercer said:

Okay let me clarify. With the RX10ii, If shooting a dialogue scene, I would use the audio from a close up with the Rode Video Micro. With an extension cable and a boom pole, I still would. Will it be good as a balanced XLR mic plugged into a 4 track mixer and boomed by an experience operator... no. It is only $59.99. Plugged into an H1 to get some foley, I would use it. Plugged into an H1 and placed right out of frame of the talent or speaker, I would use it. Micing Kenneth Branagh performing Shakespeare, I’d spend a little more. 

Full marks for throwing a Kenneth Branagh reference in there :)

Thanks again for the explanation. I am really focused on "quick and dirty" and it sounds like it might be the ticket. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Full marks for throwing a Kenneth Branagh reference in there :)

Thanks again for the explanation. I am really focused on "quick and dirty" and it sounds like it might be the ticket. 

Haha, quick and dirty... yup... but if that’s what you’re going for, then you may be blown away by it... because it’s more like quick and damn... that’s not that bad at all.

For shooting a single person indoors, your lav and H1 are probably your best bet. Do a little research on the best ways to place and hide a lav, and you can pretty easily get good results. I've done it with my $35 Audio-Technica 3.5mm lav mic and an H1.

You could also supplement this with a boomed mic. I have the Video Micro and can add to the applause for it, for the price it's kind of a no-brainer for an affordable small shotgun-ish mic. Get a cheap boom arm or dedicated boompole, and a 3.5mm extension cord, and run it into your camera. You won't be able to monitor it from the a6300, but you can at least set the general level. Good enough to mix in some room tone/ambiance, or for an emergency backup track.

CAD makes some surprisingly good mics for the money. I've used their GXL1200 as a boom mic. It has cardioid pickup pattern, low self-noise and a pretty hot signal so less gain is needed than other more expensive mics that I've used. I've also used the GXL2200 for close, voice-over type recordings. You can usually find them for $50-70 each or in a package with one of each for around $130. I know the package comes  with a decent pop filter, not sure if it's included with the 2200 by itself or not.

18 hours ago, jonpais said:

How about this mic?

I use the Takstar on my 5D3 for scratch audio and find that it compares well to the Rode Video Mic pro.  I've used the Rode many times and just can not bring myself to pay $200+ for it.  I guess it's good that they finally upgraded the shock mount system.  The old one with the bands was terrible.  

For boom-able condensers that should be pretty usable indoors, there are the Samson CO2s (about $100 for a pair), and iSK has a couple options below $60.  I agree that a wired lav would be a great inexpensive option if your situation allows for it.

On 11/4/2017 at 7:40 AM, Mark Romero 2 said:

Since the a6500 doesn't have a headphone jack, I guess the preference would be to record to the H1...  I mean, I GUESS that would be the best thing to do, right???

Well you have to record the mic to *something*?! No good by itself. 

However the Zoom H1 lacks any XLR inputs whatsoever, which massively limits your options for buying a quality mic. 

I go over recorder options here:

http://ironfilm.co.nz/which-sound-recorder-to-buy-a-guide-to-various-indie-priced-sound-recorders-in-2017/

In your shoes I'd suggest get at least a secondhand Tascam DR60D, they're so cheap it is almost free! :-P

On 11/4/2017 at 7:40 AM, Mark Romero 2 said:

Prefer something for low-budget interviews / commercials (most likely INDOORS but possible outdoors as well) where it will be "quick and dirty". Unlikely would be able to prep the room much. Most likely just a SINGLE person talking.  Also, I might use it for voice overs in a (relatively quiet) indoor bedroom setting.

If you're doing any paid work, then how come you have no budget for audio?!?! (as yes, $60 = "no budget")

The minimal kit I'd suggest to get as a broke as person entering into doing professional work for interviews/commercials would be:

Samson C02 / iSK Little Gem + Rode WS8 windshield (for when outdoors, as if positioned well and in a quiet enough environment then you can get away with the C02 outdoors for a while, but I'd recommend to buy the Aputure Deity as soon as you can) + Tascam DR60D (mk2 preferably, but a good deal on a mk1 is fine too) +  {plus shock mount, XLR cable, boom buddy, and boom pole, if you don't already have those}

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/1032461-isk-little-gem.html

https://www.iskproaudio.com/collections/microphones/products/little-gem?variant=4213264837

9 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thanks to everyone who suggested a Lav.

Yes, that is my PREFERRED method, but the boom mic would be plan b if I just can't get the Lav to be hidden enough or if it keeps getting ruffled by the talent.

Yes, it is smart to have two options running at once so each is a back up to the other. 

Especially if you're a one man band, so your focus is being split 100 different ways all at once.

And *essential* if you're not monitoring your audio! (which is the case if you running the lav into an H1 / phone)

15 hours ago, Shirozina said:

The rule in audio is that a cheap mic close to the subject is better than an expensive mic further away. I'd go for a Lav if you are on a budget. 

This!

Remember to pay very careful attention to your position of boom mic (and keep an eye out if the talent shifts around and moves off the optimal spot! You may need to reposition your boom mic mid shoot. This is why using a stand isn't simply a "set and forget" situation).