Below $60 Mic Options?

Mark Romero 2

Looking for (boom) Mic options that are below $100 and hopefully below $60 (and yes, I realize you get what you pay for).

I already have an inexpensive Lav mic and a Zoom H1 and a Sony a6500 already. I have plenty of light stands that could serve as a boom stand.

Since the a6500 doesn't have a headphone jack, I guess the preference would be to record to the H1...  I mean, I GUESS that would be the best thing to do, right???

Prefer something for low-budget interviews / commercials (most likely INDOORS but possible outdoors as well) where it will be "quick and dirty". Unlikely would be able to prep the room much. Most likely just a SINGLE person talking.  Also, I might use it for voice overs in a (relatively quiet) indoor bedroom setting.

Also, I realize there was another thread that was recently started about no-budget mics, but it seems like the cheapest mic that was specifically recommended was over $300 (maybe I missed it), so I am truly looking for something else. Also that thread descended into oneupmanship pretty quickly.  Hopefully we could avoid that here. Please.

Thanks in advance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
38 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there anything in particular that you really love about the Rode Video Micro???

It has a nice full sound. I wouldn’t call it a shotgun but it does seem to have a pick up pattern that biases the front. Definitely not the best but I found it as good if not better than the Rode video mic pro... especially for the price. 

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

It has a nice full sound. I wouldn’t call it a shotgun but it does seem to have a pick up pattern that biases the front. Definitely not the best but I found it as good if not better than the Rode video mic pro... especially for the price. 

Thank you for the elaboration.

It seems to get a lot of one-star votes on Amazon, but seems to be better rated on B and H. Wondering if the people who buy from Amazon are getting counterfeit versions???

Have you used yours with something like the zoom H1?

But I also love the size and the fact that it comes with a deadcat.

Just now, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thank you for the elaboration.

It seems to get a lot of one-star votes on Amazon, but seems to be better rated on B and H. Wondering if the people who buy from Amazon are getting counterfeit versions???

Have you used yours with something like the zoom H1?

I’ve used it plugged directly into a 5D3 as a scratch track. I’ve used it plugged directly into an RX10ii and I’ve used it plugged into an Olympus field recorder for wav recordings... sounded the best in the Olympus but not bad at all in the RX10ii... practically useable. In the field recorder it was definitely usable especially with close up audio.

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

But I also love the size and the fact that it comes with a deadcat.

I’ve used it plugged directly into a 5D3 as a scratch track. I’ve used it plugged directly into an RX10ii and I’ve used it plugged into an Olympus field recorder for wav recordings... sounded the best in the Olympus but not bad at all in the RX10ii... practically useable. In the field recorder it was definitely usable especially with close up audio.

Thanks. The phrase "practically usable" leaves me a bit concerned though :)

Anybody know if there is a cheaper extension cable than the $30 SC8 cable?

Just now, ntblowz said:

If you notice a lot of 1 star review on amazon is because they use it on the freaking phone that why.

Thanks for the clarification. I am assuming that it is not meant for use on a phone then???

2 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thanks. The phrase "practically usable" leaves me a bit concerned though :)

Anybody know if there is a cheaper extension cable than the $30 SC8 cable?

Thanks for the clarification. I am assuming that it is not meant for use on a phone then???

Oops It seems a bunch of other Rode Mic was put on the same review, the one on BH is just for Video micro. 

Just now, Mark Romero 2 said:

I hate it when amazon does that!!!

Yeah most of the bad one are the VideoMic ME and VideoMic Go, I was confuse when they said power button broke or somethig but videomicro doesnt have had buttons! Then I just realised it was for other Video Mic

2 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Yeah most of the bad one are the VideoMic ME and VideoMic Go, I was confuse when they said power button broke or somethig but videomicro doesnt have had buttons! Then I just realised it was for other Video Mic

Thanks for pointing that out!!!

Have you used the video micro yourself? Any thoughts on it?

4 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thanks for pointing that out!!!

Have you used the video micro yourself? Any thoughts on it?

Yeah I had VideoMicro for more than 1 year and it done the job pretty well, the sound quality and size is nice for the budget!  but for interviews i only use wireless lapel or proper shotgun mic on boom stand, the audio quality difference is very big ! Unless you are up and close with the interviewee which means the mic is not too far off from the speaker

1 minute ago, Don Kotlos said:

I have been using the VideoMicro since it came out and I am very happy with it. If you plan to boom it and have it close to the sound source it will work great.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, ntblowz said:

Yeah I had VideoMicro for more than 1 year and it done the job pretty well, the sound quality and size is nice for the budget!  but for interviews i only use wireless lapel or proper shotgun mic on boom stand, the audio quality is very big difference..

Thanks. Are you using a budget-friendly shotgun mic? or a more expensive one?

2 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thanks.

Thanks. Are you using a budget-friendly shotgun mic? or a more expensive one?

At work we use NTG2 which is not expensive if bought 2nd hand ($150?), we connect to Zoom H6 or to the XLR port on the C100MKII or on the GH5's XLR Adapter.  I think Sony also have their XLR adapter for the Sony alpha camera?

Okay let me clarify. With the RX10ii, If shooting a dialogue scene, I would use the audio from a close up with the Rode Video Micro. With an extension cable and a boom pole, I still would. Will it be good as a balanced XLR mic plugged into a 4 track mixer and boomed by an experience operator... no. It is only $59.99. Plugged into an H1 to get some foley, I would use it. Plugged into an H1 and placed right out of frame of the talent or speaker, I would use it. Micing Kenneth Branagh performing Shakespeare, I’d spend a little more.