Panasonic GH3 - failure on recording time memory cards?

Wit

Today I tested my new memory card - a Scandisk Extreme Pro 32 GB class 10 95MB/s card.

I was very surprised the camera mentioned I only had 0,5 hour of recording time - also when I re formatted the card twice. I was using the AVCHD mode 50 p 28 Mbps. 

Same amount recording time, also when I switched to MP4 and Mov. I double checked the card on my notebook just to be sure they didn't place a wrong sticker - but it actually is 32 GB.

What's wrong?  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I tried some more cards and it's not the camera - it's this card. 

Have bought another card - the same but not sure if I want to break the seal and try that one too.

Edit - just unpacked the second one - same problem here. Shoot spent 60+ euro's spend on a 32 GB card that's runs so poor  :(

Did you try a factory reset of your camera?

No - not sure how to do that and if it will solve my problem. I guess it is in camera under the same function where I initialize my memory card?

I just reset the whole camera to factory defaults - still the same problem.

I made a recording of 0:30 hour and then checked the memory card on my macbook. 

It sais I have still 25,4 GB memory left. When I putted my card back into the GH3 it said I have again 30 minutes despite the fact that it told me earlier that it was full. Then I initialized the card again, getting again the 30 minutes. Hope somebody has an answer  as I will have lots of problems returning these cards. Guess the card maker will blame Panasonic and vice versa. 

guess because the camera cannot record more than 30min... I have a 64gb San Disc Extreme and my GH3 always tells me R 29m 59s... but of course I can shoot aslong as there´s space on the card... so actually, this info tells us nothing :/

edit:

good question actually, how do I know how much space is left on the card? it works with pictures though... if it´s empty it says 2193, going down with each foto... movie mode: always 29m 59s

guess because the camera cannot record more than 30min... I have a 64gb San Disc Extreme and my GH3 always tells me R 29m 59s... but of course I can shoot aslong as there´s space on the card... so actually, this info tells us nothing :/

My other Transcend cards show the exact recording time left f.i. 2 hours.

This one says 30 minutes and stops at 30 minutes because the card is full.

I checked some recent posts about fake sandisk cards. My package looks fake acording to this tread but the card itself isn't.

http://www.digitalphotographer.com.ph/forum/showthread.php?45459-How-to-Spot-FAKE-Sandisk-Extreme-SDHC-cards

My other Transcend cards show the exact recording time left f.i. 2 hours.

This one says 30 minutes and stops at 30 minutes because the card is full.

I checked some recent posts about fake sandisk cards. My package looks fake acording to this tread but the card itself isn't.

http://www.digitalphotographer.com.ph/forum/showthread.php?45459-How-to-Spot-FAKE-Sandisk-Extreme-SDHC-cards

you´re making me nervous... 

I used it recently for an image film job and recorded 32.2 gb... so about 60min of film... all on that card. it never said, card full or anything

edit:

OK, I now checked every card I have and it´s always max R 29m 59s, regardless of codec or bitrate or whatever. Except of course, there is not enough space to write 30min onto the card, like san disc extreme 16gb with 72mb all I codec you get like 28m something s

you´re making me nervous... 

I used it recently for an image film job and recorded 32.2 gb... so about 60min of film... all on that card. it never said, card full or anything

Sorry about that! - Did you record footage longer then 30 minutes in one go? And in Pal? 

I will do another trial tonight - to see if it quits again after 30 minutes. And then try another shot to see if I can record after.

I just registered with Sandisk so I will hear pretty soon if it's a fake. Paid a real price though!

I´m running video right now :)

could the answer be: 29m59s displayed for Europe GH3s, and whatever possible displayed for everyone else? That would make some sort of sense...

ah.. don´t explains why card should be full...

Ok I will set up my tests too right now. 

Found this on another forum -

On modern SD cards, most SDHC and all SDXC cards are likely to be rated by class, which is expressed as an integer number. This number is the minimum continuous write speed in MB/s without fragmented address space. Thus a class 10 should be able to write 10MB/s, (or 80Mb/s) providing the card has contiguous available space. Some class 10 may well exceed this.
The 29minute limitation is per continuous video record. If the recording is stopped, it can record for another 29 minutes, (actually 29m 59s). This limitation is designed-in by the manufacturers so that they can sell the GH3 as a stills camera. If it records video for longer than 30 minutes as a camcorder should, it would be subject to a 5.4% EU import tariff. Real camcorders are designed to do the job properly and I'm sure that 5.4% additional cost is probably less of a problem than a crippled record function.

If this is true. - If it's this thing to avoid European taxes. This means my ' o come on dig in your wallet and spend some more this time on the really good cards instead off the normal cards' only brought me cards which I can't monitor on recording time  left ;-(

MMMM next time I'll spend less money and go for the lower speed Transcends. What a bloody dumper!

Ok it stopped after 30 minutes. Recorded all in one file. And after that it's possible to continue. So yeah it's the European tax thing. Not very handy because I can't monitor how much space is left on the card anymore thanxs to buying the more expensive card  - or is there a way?   

The reason: you have an EU GH3.  Thank the EU for the tariff laws.  There are tariffs for anything considered to be a "video camera".  A "video camera" is classified as any device that can record over 30min continuous.  So camera manufacturers get around that by making it record for only 30min.  This is why any camera sold in the EU - Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus - has a 30min record limit.  The SD card has more than enough space.  But you can only record continuously for 30min at a time.  Your camera will say 30min, until there is space left.  At 1080P50P 50mbit you should easily get 2 hours total.  BTW, anywhere but the EU has no limit.

Thanxs Nahua - I already figured this out (took me a half day I didn't have..) See my quote a few answers above.

But the strange thing is that my old class 6 Transcend 16GB cards give me the full recording time written on screen. Its over half an hour. But I guess they will stop too after half an hour never tried. So my more espensi e cards left me with a monitoring problem - I have to estimate my left recording time instead of seeing it on screen....Long live progress, more expensive cards, Sandisk, EU tax laws etc.!

Anybody know if the same occurs on the bigger Transcend cards?

Sorry I guess my reply was too late.  I don't know why it's just the 32GB or higher cards.  Maybe there's something in there.  But you'll just have to guess as to how much remains.  Not very useful, I figure you'll see the accurate count when there's less than 30min remaining.

Not very useful, I figure you'll see the accurate count when there's less than 30min remaining.

You only see the worst case, the time remaining with the maximum data rate. 24 Mb/s have an average data rate around 17 Mb/s, 28 Mb/s only ~20 Mb/s. So you get roughly 30 % longer recording time than what is predicted.

Still recording - wanna do more then 30 minutes though. 

And I left the hood on - so spooky blackness here  :lol:

With the hood on, the codec's efficiency will let the data rate drop. You will have hours and hours left. Just for fun, check the actual data rate of that recording!