LAUNDRY NIGHT - a short film shot on 5D Mark III

mbiondo25

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Mike, great job. I love how prolific you are. It’s truly inspiring. But more importantly, it was so well done. Great compositions. Amazing color! And really good example of 5D3 ML Raw in lowlight. Did you have to use any noise reduction in post? Also any BTS info... lenses used, audio, ISO, etc... would be greatly appreciated!!!

On 10/27/2017 at 1:05 PM, mercer said:

Mike, great job. I love how prolific you are. It’s truly inspiring. But more importantly, it was so well done. Great compositions. Amazing color! And really good example of 5D3 ML Raw in lowlight. Did you have to use any noise reduction in post? Also any BTS info... lenses used, audio, ISO, etc... would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words.

For this film I didn't actually use ML Raw! I was surprised too by the amount of detail in the image. I used my Atomos Ninja 2 to record prores HQ. I wanted to shoot raw on this one but I wasn't going to be able to finish it in time for halloween weekend if I did. We shot this 10 days before it came out. 

The whole thing was filmed using the 24-105 f4 kit lens.

No noise reduction in post.

Audio captured on Rode VideoMic Pro and a few sound effects from soundsnap.

The whole thing was shot at 1600 ISO. 

20 hours ago, mbiondo25 said:

Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words.

For this film I didn't actually use ML Raw! I was surprised too by the amount of detail in the image. I used my Atomos Ninja 2 to record prores HQ. I wanted to shoot raw on this one but I wasn't going to be able to finish it in time for halloween weekend if I did. We shot this 10 days before it came out. 

The whole thing was filmed using the 24-105 f4 kit lens.

No noise reduction in post.

Audio captured on Rode VideoMic Pro and a few sound effects from soundsnap.

The whole thing was shot at 1600 ISO. 

I’m surprised that wasn’t Raw. It’s great to see how an external recorder with ProRes will deliver such great footage. Great option for a quicker 5D3 workflow.

Either way, in the end, the story is all that matters and you delivered Mike!!!

• 2 months later...

I'm a little late to this but I just wanted to say I enjoyed this. Also, the twist was nice.

Old School Critique

The only thing I would have played with directorialy is I would have had the actor walk towards the bunny in a sense of relief, which would set up a more instense rise when the hand pops out. By standing in place, it builds up anticipation, as if he's "waiting" for the twist. 

Technically,  the framing, lighting and grade was very nice.

At first, the framing was very tight which felt a bit claustrophobic, but you eventually opened it up. I'm a big fan of reverse reveals where it makes sense and I think your pacing was very nice and thoughtful to the piece as a whole.

What I read was in the first frames he was "comfortable" and "insulated" doing something mundane. As you built tension you gradually opened up the framing which made him seem smaller, more vunerable and unprotected. Nicely done. I see you bro. 

The only thing I didn't like was the whip transition of him running up the stairs. It felt out of style to the rest of the film to me. I know as cinematographers we like to try out various tricks, but I'm personally really big on functionality over form when it comes to engaging the audience into the story.

The most effective films keep viewers locked into the story, and so you'll notice use of transitions are very limited to cuts and fades, and in certain films, eh hem Star Wars, wipes.

I feel the cooler, more experimental transitions are better left to music videos or non narratives because the viewer is more engaged in the mood and emotion rather than a cohesive story arch. 

Also, as a motion language thank you for not doing handheld. The technique is being used to death and it's refreshing to see you can have smooth stabilized footage and still build up tension. I feel like this is lost on a lot of modern filmmakers. 

How was the VFX on the hand grabbing the bunny accomplished? I always like to learn how different ppl approach these things.