Sony A7R III announced with 4K HDR

salim

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah quite a funky style there @DaveAltizer

By the way how is the workflow with A7RIII proxies & FCPX?  A7rII had proxies as well, but the names were different between the clips so it was useless for any proxy work. 

Also brighter apertures help a lot for AF speed in low light conditions, so if events is your gig then a f/2.8 or less would make a big difference.  

13 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Brilliant review, love the funky VHS style.

Thanks man! Just trying to make it more entertaining. 

9 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Yeah quite a funky style there @DaveAltizer

By the way how is the workflow with A7RIII proxies & FCPX?  A7rII had proxies as well, but the names were different between the clips so it was useless for any proxy work. 

Also brighter apertures help a lot for AF speed in low light conditions, so if events is your gig then a f/2.8 or less would make a big difference.  

Honestly, I havent done any tests yet with proxy. Ill let you know. The camera is fine in low light. Unless a7S3 has some great video features like 4k at 60 and 10bit, then the a7Riii is a really great option i think!

I tried the A7rIII this week a little bit. Haven't watched the videos that I shot yet but usability wise it's basically the same camera for video as the A7rII/A7sII except for

+ APS-C mode to a button (OH MY GOD!)

+ My Menu (OH LORD!)

We were shooting at night so I have no idea if the lcd was brighter but I didn't specifically notice any drop (though we shot everything in 120p/60p).

Hopefully I'll get to analyze the image quality soonish.

@DaveAltizer cool review! i like the style, its fun

i wish my camera had a touchscreen so my doggee could do pictures w me ?

tumblr_p110pk5Ojh1tzonioo1_1280.jpg

god i love that dog

/anyway, im impressed with the color – WAAAAAYYYY better than some of the stuff in the past, and it looks like sonys improving on a lot of other things too

im gonna watch smore a7r3 videos~! yay!

I submitted my rolling shutter test to the dvxuser Samuel H and the results are stunning! 

a7R III 1080 S35 --- 6.1 ms

a7R III 1080 FF ---- 7.7 ms

a7R III 4k S35 ---- 16.0 ms

a7R III 4k FF ----- 22.8 ms

Jun 2010

Madrid, Spain

“Today 10:20 AM

Just added the a7R III to the table. It's a very good performer: 4k FF is not bad (22.8 ms), 4k S35 is very good (16.0 ms, in line with the C200 and the BM 4.6k), and for those shots that need minimal RS, you can just swap to 1080p, which is super fast (7.7 ms in FF and 6.1 ms in S35).

For comparison, the a7S II was 30.4 ms in FF 4k mode. Nice to see these improvements rolling in.

Thanks for keeping the sample videos coming my way <3”

4 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

I submitted my rolling shutter test to the dvxuser Samuel H and the results are stunning! 

a7R III 1080 S35 --- 6.1 ms

a7R III 1080 FF ---- 7.7 ms

a7R III 4k S35 ---- 16.0 ms

a7R III 4k FF ----- 22.8 ms

Jun 2010

Madrid, Spain

“Today 10:20 AM

Just added the a7R III to the table. It's a very good performer: 4k FF is not bad (22.8 ms), 4k S35 is very good (16.0 ms, in line with the C200 and the BM 4.6k), and for those shots that need minimal RS, you can just swap to 1080p, which is super fast (7.7 ms in FF and 6.1 ms in S35).

For comparison, the a7S II was 30.4 ms in FF 4k mode. Nice to see these improvements rolling in.

Thanks for keeping the sample videos coming my way <3”

Wow, that's quite an improvement in s35 4k, its much worse on the r2. Still not sure I'm going to get the new model. Seems like a a7r4 with a new stacked sensor is 18 months away. With vastly improved RS, the new body fixes everything I don't like about the r2. Hmmm...

On 12/16/2017 at 4:02 PM, Trek of Joy said:

Wow, that's quite an improvement in s35 4k, its much worse on the r2. Still not sure I'm going to get the new model. Seems like a a7r4 with a new stacked sensor is 18 months away. With vastly improved RS, the new body fixes everything I don't like about the r2. Hmmm...

Lol Seriously? 

I hate buying let's say an A7SII right now when we know the III is around the corner. But not buying a camera 2 weeks after release because the next one is coming 2 years after? 
You will never buy, cause the V is coming 2 years after the IV and so on.

Agreed... 18 months seems absolutely reasonable as far as refresh calendar.. I think Sony has learned from the A6300/A6500 debacle not to refresh so quickly.. unlike Panasonic who jumped the gun imo with the GH5S announcement happening only 9 months after GH5 release.

The real showstopper for A7R3 is, of course, the pending release of the A7S3. 

1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

Really great results coming from the a7Riii compared to the Rii. There is a great rolling shutter comparison in this. 

So in 1080p it is practically close to a global shutter. That is the same speed as the A9 has in electronic shutter mode:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2017/08/22/a-new-test-debuts-at-ir-the-sony-a9-rolling-shutter-is-pretty-minimal

4 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

So in 1080p it is practically close to a global shutter. That is the same speed as the A9 has in electronic shutter mode:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2017/08/22/a-new-test-debuts-at-ir-the-sony-a9-rolling-shutter-is-pretty-minimal

Yes. REALLY REALLY COOL!! I need to test 1080p 60fps too. Idk if it'll be the same. Should it be? 

On 12/17/2017 at 9:36 PM, wolf33d said:

Lol Seriously? 

I hate buying let's say an A7SII right now when we know the III is around the corner. But not buying a camera 2 weeks after release because the next one is coming 2 years after? 
You will never buy, cause the V is coming 2 years after the IV and so on.

Yes seriously. I have the R2, the R3 is the same sensor. The $1500 hit I'll take to "upgrade" for the revised body/speed (which I really like) and some RS improvements while keeping the same sensor and no better IQ in s35 mode (best IQ on both) - yes this gives me pause since there will be a new sensor coming soon. I also have the S2, if the S3 recycles the same sensor I'll pass again.

I'm in full hold mode anyway with the looming CaNikon mirrorless, love the d850, just don't want to go back to anything with a mirror.

Cheers