Sony A7R III announced with 4K HDR

salim

On 10/26/2017 at 1:23 AM, tellure said:

Feels like keeping the slim A7R2 body size must be holding back some of the more performance-hungry video features due to the thermal issues.  Here's hoping the A7SIII uses the A9's body and they manage to squeeze out 4K60p with no crop and a higher bitrate.

I read this often, but body does not seem to affect the ability for Sony cameras to dissipate heat. The A7RII (pre-patch, small body) and the A99II (DSLR-body) both overheated in similar conditions and usage and they feature very similar chip tech. After a few months the A7RII received a patch to extend the thermal sensors danger zone to allow more heat, making it much more usable in the real world. The A99II never received the equivalent update and continued to overheat far too frequently. Because of this, I sold the A99II and picked up an A7RII and have found it to be much better. 

TL;DR: Size has no bearing on Sony camera's ability to dissipate heat. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2017 at 3:37 PM, Don Kotlos said:

? I find the video side of A7rIII was improved far more than the still side. The A7sIII will only add 4k 60p, better 4K FF quality and maybe a 10bit output. 

1) I use manual cine lens (autofocus only for photos)

2) Sgammut3.cine is not indispensable, color science is what it is !!!

3) and 4)  little difference

5) - 6) - 7) EVF from A9 - Better ergonomics  - At least double the battery life !!!!!!!!!!!!! something had to be done

8) S35/FF switch with a button!  this is very good!

9) Bright LCD during 4K recording - USB3.1 tranfers - Dual SD card - Improved FF quality - Improved IBIS - Proxy recording!       I use Shogun Inferno!!! gimbal and post production...

I would be very happy that they would do A7SIII with sensor S35, but I do not think they do it

• Super Members
On 2017-11-04 at 8:17 PM, tomekk said:

If above is true and If features between A7RII and A99II are similar, than this doesn't show Sony in a good light. After all, this would mean they didn't use extra space to dissipate heat efficiently.

They probably used the space in the a99ii for the mirror.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

My a7RIII comes in today for me to do reviews on. What questions or tests do you guys have that you would like to see? 

If you still have your Canon cameras it would be great to see how well you can match the colors by playing with the picture profiles. Cine2/cine4 with sgamut3.cine/cinema/pro and a boost in saturation and red color depth would be a great starting point :) . Of course comparing the AF tracking between them would also be great. Rolling shutter differences between FF and S35 maybe? 

Thanks, and enjoy the camera!

14 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

If you still have your Canon cameras it would be great to see how well you can match the colors by playing with the picture profiles. Cine2/cine4 with sgamut3.cine/cinema/pro and a boost in saturation and red color depth would be a great starting point :) . Of course comparing the AF tracking between them would also be great. Rolling shutter differences between FF and S35 maybe? 

Thanks, and enjoy the camera!

Yes! I still have my 1DC and 80D. Ill compare the AF to the Dual Pixel AF..and rolling shutter for sure on both 4k FF and S35 as well as 1080p FF and S35. 

2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

My a7RIII comes in today for me to do reviews on. What questions or tests do you guys have that you would like to see? 

These would be great to know:

- Sharpness (in both FF, S35, HD-FF, HD-S35)

- Rolling shutter (in both FF, S35, HD-FF, HD-S35)

- Low light (in both FF, S35, HD-FF, HD-S35)

- 100fps Quality (in both FF and S35)

- If you have the a7rII, Side to side to compare dynamic range and colour rendition.

Thanks a lot and enjoy your new camera!

I'm a bit off the pace with all of this, anyone mind sharing what video changes have been made? Asides from the spec sheet stuff, like added Slog3.Cine colour. I've heard FF quality is better on the A7R3, but compared to the generations before are we looking at better colour or resolution? There was a really pleasing improvement in colour quality from the 1st generation to the 2nd.

On 12/6/2017 at 9:13 AM, DaveAltizer said:

First look and impressions. 

So far I really love this. Sony has really refined the camera. Andrew, I give you some love for your profiles in here!

Thanks for the post, but when you switched to A7Riii from canon your skin tones looked horrible. Just so redish!  Is it with the profile? I was convinced to get this camera, but seeing your skin vs. canon...I'm not sure anymore. Can you help clarify what happened there please. Thanks!

5 hours ago, salim said:

Thanks for the post, but when you switched to A7Riii from canon your skin tones looked horrible. Just so redish!  Is it with the profile? I was convinced to get this camera, but seeing your skin vs. canon...I'm not sure anymore. Can you help clarify what happened there please. Thanks!

I’ll do more tests. It’s not that bad. My white balance was off