Sony A7R III announced with 4K HDR

salim

17 hours ago, Kisaha said:

It is not GH5's fault, that the whole industry moves to HDR, and people truly like it (unlike 3D, which was a complete failure).

How you know people truly like it when people haven't seen a truly HDR TV? Most of HDR models support 10bit but are not significantly brighter than conventional TVs. They should be much brighter to make a wow.. and do it without skyrocketing the power bill.

People liked 3D, but they didn't want to wear something to see the effect. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
58 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

No, they are more expensive, that's all... :-)

The resolving power of the 24-120 on that 42 MP sensor looks pretty amazing. Not saying that the Canon is worse, but there does seem to be some future-proofing going on in the Sony lenses, and there is that 100+MP shift sensor mode already. 

On the other hand if you are using the A7S then it might be resolving stuff you are never going to see

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

I dont buy any of the resolving power talk. Marketing...

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Resolving power is BS... It is more prone to have to add some softness to get better outcome than anything else. Put your eyes on vintage glass and stop to worry about nothing :-)

It seems you two have never experienced a truly sharp lens. 1080 through a sharp lens can easily look better than 4K through bad glass. I've experienced this many times.

Please get your hands on a new tamron or sigma 85 and compare it to the Canon 85 1.2 and you'll see just how much difference resolving power really means.

Resolving power means too little when sharpness can be a step further counterproductive -- contradictorily worse than crappy glass; or almost that (only 'cause you're speaking to a freak glass lover dude, so respect applies LOL ; ) well, glass is the sensitive link of the chain, the determinant factor.

Everything in the realm of the pictures is perception. Sharpness can damage all that game. The fine example is when you end to use the -5 sharpness setting to set up your 4K acquisition on your GH5. Coming from overprocessing.

It happens that resolving yadda yadda may end to pee on your parade.

:-)

• Super Members
50 minutes ago, EthanAlexander said:

It seems you two have never experienced a truly sharp lens. 1080 through a sharp lens can easily look better than 4K through bad glass. I've experienced this many times.

Please get your hands on a new tamron or sigma 85 and compare it to the Canon 85 1.2 and you'll see just how much difference resolving power really means.

Who said anything about sharpness. And if we where talking sharpness its subjective anyway. And btw, ive used way sharper lenses than that sigma.

But it doesn't matter. People can believe and buy whatever they like.

Im not gonna debate some marketing bogus saying that my Tamron works on 40mp but not 41mp because it doesn't have the extra resolving power.. give me a break. They just want to sell lenses.

On a side note to sharpness. Same thing goes for every new iteration of a camera. I've got a 5DIII and I'm yet to produce something which looks remotely close to what some folks have already produced with this camera or even worse cameras and much worse glass than I own. I've given up on upgrading until I actually use my camera to the full potential and definitely going to skip everything until canikon release their FF mirrorless cameras. Until that, I've got a ton of other things I must improve on... Once this is sorted I hope I'll find a product which has the following: 8K RAW (for cropping to 4k) + lighter options, 5-axis IS, usable ISO 25k, DPAF 2.0 ;) 

6 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Sharpness can damage all that game. The fine example is when you end to use the -5 sharpness setting to set up your 4K acquisition on your GH5. Coming from overprocessing.

You're right when talking digital sharpening, whether in camera or post. But that's because it's just a matter of increasing contrast (usually at high frequencies), which of course doesn't increase actual detail. A sharp lens actually means more detail is hitting the sensor. 

6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Who said anything about sharpness.

I was using the word sharp when I probably should have said "highly detailed." 

6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

They just want to sell lenses.

I never doubt companies have only one goal in mind, but in the case of lenses being able to see more detail, this is one instance where I've experienced the "resolving power" in many contexts and fully appreciate the benefits. Whether it's for punching in for an interview or cropping in on a still photo for products, a detailed lens makes all the difference.

Bringing this all back to the A7R... There's not much point in pairing a camera with this kind of resolution if you're not going to put quality glass in front of it.

All I'm really trying to say is that I've been more interested in upgrading lenses than worrying about having the latest oversampled sensor.

6 hours ago, Emanuel said:

(only 'cause you're speaking to a freak glass lover dude, so respect applies LOL ; )

; ) 

• Super Members

You where talking video? Dude, thats 8mp. You dont needt to update your Canon L or Nikkor FX glass to get the extra detail. They can handle it.

For stills. If I put for example my Sigma Art lens on a 20mp and then a 46mp I will be able to see the extra detail.

My point is. Stop worrying about the specs. Get nice glass and use it. Ignore the marketing BS.

The 24-105 does sound great. I tried the 24-70 GM a few months back and the clarity, sharpness, whatever you want to call it, made a huge difference. If the 24-105 is even close to that it would make sense. Native glass, no metabones problems, smaller size, lighter, actual autofocus. For docs it makes a lot of sense and I'm pretty excited about using it.

A little late to the party because I've been traveling - but wow - the A7r3 looks awesome and fixes all my issues with the A7r2. I'm getting one to replace my A7r2. Bigger battery, dual cards with one being USB-II, USB-c connection, better EVF, better LCD, improved AF, touchscreen, updated body with new video record button and joystick, 120p, new LSI processor, faster in every regard and so on. This is a beast. I'll keep my A7sII until the mk3 surfaces, but this is just a killer package. I use AF a lot with run and gun, being able to move it around with the stick or touchscreen is a welcome upgrade. Add in the best tracking/face/eye detection of any mirrorless - damn I can't wait to get one.

As far as no A73, Sony is following the CaNikon strategy of upgrading from the top down. Putting the top spec EVF, new processor, updated body and so on makes no sense to start with the lowest price body. Pent up demand for a new camera will make this a hot seller. IMO going forward the base model will always be the last to be updated. That works for me as I have no need for the A9 speed, but wanted all the updates made to the A7r3.

1 hour ago, maxmizer said:

What a disappointment, no news on the video side ...

? I find the video side of A7rIII was improved far more than the still side. The A7sIII will only add 4k 60p, better 4K FF quality and maybe a 10bit output. 

On 10/25/2017 at 10:47 AM, Don Kotlos said:

For me the A7rIII is everything that I wished from an A7rII upgrade. These are just the improvements on the video side:

Amazing AF from A9

Sgammut3.cine  

better low light performance

lower rolling shutter

EVF from A9

Better ergonomics 

At least double the battery life

S35/FF switch with a button! 

Bright LCD during 4K recording

USB3.1 tranfers

Dual SD card

Improved FF quality